Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: When you kill important figures...  (Read 6485 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: When you kill important figures...
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009, 09:49:30 pm »

I wish someone in my family won land by doing that.
Unfortunately, all I got was an ancestor marrying a native.
So I've got a super mega microscopically small bit of Native American blood.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2009, 09:51:43 pm »

All I have is a granpa who fought in WW2. I wonder why a lot of people in our family had jobs that involve firearms. Hell, my brother's a Police Officer, and he owns an M1 Garand.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 12:30:13 am »

Dwarves in D&D are stereotypically scottish.  I've yet to see a DF dwarf say och or aye or laddie, though, thank goodness (for originality).

Scots pretty much fail though--when you look at wars they've had bad luck.  It's why DF dwarves are Russian.  Look how often Russia has been sieged!  Not to mention the quasi-communism that goes on in these forts.  ;D
I prefer to see my dwarves in an Irish manner. We're happy little boozers (oddly enough, stereotypically accurate.), we yoik and sing, and we fight and we dance til' the morning. (Sorry, I've been listening to a bit of Korpiklanni lately. BTW, awesome band.) Inventive, and just plain nuts.

Proof of concept, and a little easter egg as to why I like the name Bloodfist (IE- Megaproject). It's also sorta in honor of my great ancestor who won a decent chunk of land in a race. By technicality, the first person to touch the land wins it. My great-ancestor was losing the boat race, to reach the land.

Now, I must repeat. The first one to TOUCH the land, wins it. He was losing. You can guess what happened next.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...Yeah. I think I'm a descendant of dwarves. There's even a coat of arms that chronicles it with a similar tribute.

Spoiler: Full Crest (click to show/hide)

...My entire family (including myself) is just plain nuts. I love it. ;D

While I'll still consider dwarf fortress dwarfs to be Russian.. well.. that is pretty effin' dwarfy.   :o

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009, 05:08:29 pm »

My dwarves I always feel are German. Toady's dwarves are influenced by the old Norse and Saxon dwarves and so I like to think of them as Germans, although they are little communists.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 05:11:37 pm »

Ahem, I said something before, like this.
A Dwarf Fortress is more like an Opressive Fortress of Communism than a fortress full of midgets with beards.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2009, 05:38:40 pm »

My family has a bit of a military history in the Navy.  Me great grandpa was at Pearl Harbor, aye.  Plus, they fled France (Losing is Fun!) back when there was that persecution of the French Huguenots, among other religions.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2009, 08:06:39 pm »

My family has a bit of a military history in the Navy.  Me great grandpa was at Pearl Harbor, aye.  Plus, they fled France (Losing is Fun!) back when there was that persecution of the French Huguenots, among other religions.

You know what you got to do. Grab a bunch of dudes, a wagon full of booze, turtles and some axes and reclaim!

And I also always see my dwarves as being quite "German", if not because of the Norse influence then because of their apparent world-war style obsession with huge megaprojects and dangerously overpowered yet borderline-useless weapons (building a magma-drowningchamber is about as much overkill as the infamous land-battleship would have been... also : ballistas). The fact that I literally turn whole mountains into vast bunker networks doesn't help at all.
And I refuse to accept that dwarven crossbows represent the Chinese repeating crossbow. With their current impact and rate of fire they look more like this to me.

I have to agree that the dwarven economy (or its nonexistance) makes them look very much like (soviet) Russians, because in dwarven fortress, property is you! ... But as soon as Toady completes the Army Arc with invasions and conquest the game will inevitably turn into world-war-dwarf anyways, so hey, why not. I for one will welcome the opportunity to blitz the elves with wagon-mounted elephant-pulled ballistas, Urist Guderian would be so proud ;D

EDIT: Now look at this shit  ::). I've been playing to much HoI3 in the last few days I guess. Statements still stand though, especially the ones about Army Arc. Imagine getting a quest to kill the most dreaded elven general to turn the tide in the great Elven-Dwarven war. Which brings us bag to the assassination of important figures. See? I wasn't talking about terribly OT crap up there! It was just an .. uhhh.. very long introduction to my most cunning thread rerail! Hah. You never saw that coming, eh?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:18:43 pm by Gothmog »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2009, 08:30:33 pm »

Yeah, I tried that reclaim in July.  I had 44 other people with me, so it was a standard reclaim party.  Only we forgot the booze.  And the turtles.  And the axes.  So we just acted like Student Ambassadors from the US.

I get my view of dwarves having Scottish accents from various sources.  I can't honestly pin down where.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2009, 09:54:14 pm »

Yeah, I tried that reclaim in July.  I had 44 other people with me, so it was a standard reclaim party.  Only we forgot the booze.  And the turtles.  And the axes.  So we just acted like Student Ambassadors from the US.

I get my view of dwarves having Scottish accents from various sources.  I can't honestly pin down where.

I think you might get the Scottish idea from the way in this forum we call just about every dwarf Urist McMiner or Urist McCarpenter, or perhaps from all of the beard wearing. Anyways, well we can all agree dwarves are commies they are certainly not oppressive; my dwarves get away with just about whatever they want and Armok knows they have the right to artistic expression (they carve some crazy shit into the wall)

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2009, 10:03:13 pm »

Dude. No dick jokes.
Keep it clean.

I'll have to think of a few dick jokes just for this post right here.

Roflmao. Brutalizing children one finger at a time... Drowning hundreds of intelligent beings...

...And no dick jokes. Uh-Yuk.

I really have to stop using those periods so much. It's even annoying me.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2009, 10:38:12 pm »

Anyways, well we can all agree dwarves are commies they are certainly not oppressive;

Please explain to me how a civilization whose nobles mandate items impossible to make and punish the deficit of completed mandates with brutal beatings/executions is NOT oppressive.  Oh, and a useless noble decides no goblets should go out and 20 goblets do go out?  That's 20 different dwarfs having nothing to do with anything who are going to get a visit from the hammerdwarf.

Not oppressive my lily white beard.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2009, 10:45:58 pm »

WAIT! Someone said something unkind about the scottish (I only just checked this thread, it seemed a bit dull). We scottish are a hardy race of people, we fought off the Romans, we invented the best hangover cure in existence and we probably invented the hangover :D Apart from the chinese, the Scottish are the single most inventive people that have ever existed. You forget how many modern day things were invented by us mars-bar-battering bastards, because if it weren't for us, you'd still be needing things we invented years ago. Plasma TV would be set for 2020, and the British would be making the switch to digital round about never.

Also, our cocks are roughly an inch in total girth greater than the average suit wearing, poncy arsed, frenchified, repeatedly-conquered, mountainless English numpty.

(P.S. Land stealing white Americans, you count too, same country originally)
(P.P.S. Native americans, fair play, I got no grudge.)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2009, 03:08:50 am »

Anyways, well we can all agree dwarves are commies they are certainly not oppressive;

Please explain to me how a civilization whose nobles mandate items impossible to make and punish the deficit of completed mandates with brutal beatings/executions is NOT oppressive.  Oh, and a useless noble decides no goblets should go out and 20 goblets do go out?  That's 20 different dwarfs having nothing to do with anything who are going to get a visit from the hammerdwarf.

The nobles only rule because you let them :)

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2009, 03:20:16 am »

Having to overthrow the government because of it's oppressive nature just further proves the point.

It also makes the dwarfs a little more French, I think.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2009, 02:12:44 pm »

The nobles only rule because you let them :)

The dwarves are hardly oppressed though. They have monarchs who will make demands of them for certain material's but other than that the dwarves have plenty of freedom to buy things, make their own friends, choose their own wives, create their own art, run for local government or dress as they please. The only thing they really lack is the choice to pick their own occupation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4