Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Whats on your wishlist?  (Read 1330 times)

van

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Whats on your wishlist?
« on: August 11, 2009, 09:19:26 pm »

Hey, I decided to make a thread for things people hope to be put into the up-coming updates to DF, here is mine;

1. Ability to teach fortress guard some form of tactics (so they don't rush to their deaths constantly)

2. Float-able structures so you can make boats and floating fortresses.

3. Ladders that you build/remove from top to bottom (as apposed to stairs that are built and removed from bottom from top

4. Take your army on out-of-map campaigns to other civilizations.

Whats on yours?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whats on your wishlist?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 09:29:55 pm »

I want to make my own undead army and have them break free of my control and found a new civilisation.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 04:00:25 am »

Set someone's house on fire.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 08:03:35 am »

Don't they have a full forum of these?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 08:23:10 am »

Yes, but this is fun.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 08:25:35 am »

I want it to go faster. That's about it!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 12:20:20 pm »

I want it to go faster. That's about it!

Have you tried the 40dXX versions?  I don't think it can get much faster than that.

A great deal of what I want is in the next version.  Most of my forts end up boring because the underground is too ubiquitous, which makes me dig out squares for every layer.  The new underground is going to make for some crazy forts.  Ladders are a definite want, as well as more control over rebuilding walls (I'm the sort of person who plans everything out and then realizes that I misaligned half of my designations by a row.  I'd also like to be able to better manage the flow of goods through the fort, as I usually end up with one workshop never ever working, and another chock full of some useless good.  Barrel management is currently nonexistent, making it difficult to produce enough booze even when I have everything needed to make it.  An overhaul of the menus is badly needed.  Unfortunately I don't see that happening soon.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 12:33:07 pm »

I want walls that collapse under weight of the walls ontop of then or from impacts; it would make building much more interesting.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 01:29:16 pm »

I want walls that collapse under weight of the walls ontop of then or from impacts; it would make building much more interesting.

Annoying is more like it.  Upgrading the cave-in system would probably be an entire month of work, and even then, Toady would need a good idea of how to implement it with getting an NSF cloud computing grant and clearance from the Department of Defense.  And once the physical model is actually in place, we would need new menus and announcements to help us manage the build and identify problem sites, and perhaps a cleaner implementation of constructions so we can easily build the supports and scaffolding necessary to erect megaprojects.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 02:36:39 pm »

Annoying is more like it.  Upgrading the cave-in system would probably be an entire month of work, and even then, Toady would need a good idea of how to implement it with getting an NSF cloud computing grant and clearance from the Department of Defense.  And once the physical model is actually in place, we would need new menus and announcements to help us manage the build and identify problem sites, and perhaps a cleaner implementation of constructions so we can easily build the supports and scaffolding necessary to erect megaprojects.

Excuse me if i took that as abbrasive.

Anyways; Your essentially saying that people should be able to hang a fortress off of one floor tile, or have generally invincible walls.

Thats what id rather avoid, just because its retarded.

Besides, why the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
would he need a DoD cloud computing grant to implement a weight calculation.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 02:40:17 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 05:00:28 pm »

Thats what id rather avoid, just because its retarded.

Besides, why the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
would he need a DoD cloud computing grant to implement a weight calculation.

Be careful, you're still abrasive.
Bricks' not saying he's against physics is a bad idea, but a harsh one. There were lots of topics discussing a reasonable 3D cave-in model. There are several drawbacks. First, even just an acceptable model would still take a lot of time and work. Second, if it was badly done or thought, it would end up being more of a hassle than of a feature.

And the reason why it would need a few resoiurces is, well, we're talking about DF.
Even not considering sheer resistance and elasticity of materials, weight doesn't spread in a perfectly vertical way. So, for a column spanning over many Z-levels, you'd have to track every support for that column : are all horizontal branches starting from the column supports ? Would they break under their own weight ? In case the column breaks, what's going to happen to the ceiling ? How big would the cratter be ?
Do a search, these topics were quite interesting.

As for my part, I dream of adventurer skills and more lively dwarves. Especially the second one. Having them only purchase things they like and store them in their room would be a good start, considering the possibilities it raises (theft, life goal, fighting over inheritance, ...)

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 09:22:17 pm »

I'm actually fascinated by potential cave-in models and am considering writing a few little programs to test out different models.  I just don't want a cave-in model to be implemented that is, to an inattentive or new user, totally devastating.  There needs to be a smooth progression towards the point where cave-ins are not only possible, but predictable and preventable.  My point is that implementing cave-ins without changing any of the remainder of the game to make it more playable would be horribly irresponsible.  I don't think frustration and confusion = fun.

I wasn't trying to say that the tetris-style cave-ins should remain, though its consequences are humorous.  This topic seemed more about what we think should be implemented soon, given what we know Toady plans to work on.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 09:50:22 pm »

A bus full of cheerleaders...

Oh, wait, are we talking about something else?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 10:26:18 pm »

1, In the game as of next release
2, turn cave ins off in Init.txt
3, yeah, we need that
4, It's called the Army Arc, it's coming sooner or later.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

fennec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 12:02:08 am »

There needs to be a smooth progression towards the point where cave-ins are not only possible, but predictable and preventable.

Designate a quasi-noble position, 'Fortress Engineer', and actually put that 'Architecture' skill to good use generating structural hazard/stress reports.
Pages: [1] 2