Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: mods that work together  (Read 1264 times)

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
mods that work together
« on: August 11, 2009, 05:24:15 pm »

I have been playing with vanilla for a while now, and was planning on starting a new fort soon. I wanted to know what mods worked well with each other. I was thinking of getting the civforge mod, as well as the one that adds to cooking and makes farming harder. I also want the one that adds all the new items (metal beds and such) as well as all the fun but not to cheaty forge reactions. I also want as many new and iteresting cretures as i can get, megabeast, normal or otherwise. I was wondering if anyone els had done this already, and if they had raw files availabe so i dont have to copy and paste myself (i am lazy). I also dont want anything too buggy, so that is another consideration. Any advice?
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: mods that work together
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 05:25:51 pm »

I haven't played most of the mods, but I can highly recommend the Orc mod. If you want Fun, look no further.

As for better megabeasts, I understand that the next release should help make megabeasts more hax.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 05:35:54 pm »

Well, Civilization Forge already does quite a bit with the smelter reactions, so I wouldn't really recommend mixing it with mods that do a lot of reactions. There is a cap on the number of reactions you can have, and I've already hit it.

You can mix them, of course, but you have to take out the CivForge reactions to do so, which removes a lot of the metals I have in there. Not a huge deal, but you should be aware of it.

I know a lot of people have mixed the Orc Mod with CivForge without any problems, so you could do that.

Adding in new plants and foods and whatnot should be fine, although you will need to make sure that there aren't any conflicts or duplicates with that.

Honestly, I'd suggest playing with CivForge for a bit first and then mixing some other mods in, just so you have an idea of all the differences you need to work with.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 07:21:26 pm »

So is civforge the one with the improved farming then? Or does it just have a bunch of new plants?
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 07:22:55 pm »

It has some improved farming (underground plants can be grown any season, aboveground have limited seasons, some new plants, etc), but I think there is a more extensive mod dedicated to that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 07:40:45 pm »

do you know if they play nice together? or should i test it out?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 07:52:38 pm »

Kobold camp and orc mod for hilarious amounts of "fun".

Someone uploaded it here earlier on TG
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7LBVFMQC

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 09:19:31 pm »

do you know if they play nice together? or should i test it out?

You'll have to test it. Keep in mind, though, that the changes to the base plants are all going to be in the normal matgloss_plant file, so you may need to pick and choose what changes you want.
Come play Mafia with us!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 09:40:16 pm »

I've tossed in a few neat sounding mods myself. The problem I find, is that if each mod adds a material or two, you very quickly get overwhelmed on demands. Its barely possible to stock the vanilla list of materials..

I do reccomend the one that adds melt point data to stones. And Orc mod.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 02:16:43 pm »

i decided to go with civ forge as a base, i added in molten rocks and glass fortress (overwriting as needed, but keeping the unique mats and rocks. i also removed the glass bins and metals, and their associated mats, since they did not make sense to me) i also overwrote the standard civ forge plants with the legendary land plants, to make farming harder (keeping, of course, any unique plants from civ forge, i may go back and compare grow times to make them line up more). oh, and i threw in orc mod, just for the hell of it. it genned up ok, and i embarked and started farming. i will let you all know how it goes, and if anyone wants i can zip up the raws and post them.

i will keep in mind the problems with the artifacts, and will try and keep a tone of stuff on hand.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 02:19:47 pm »

Yeah, the only problem with playing Civ Forge is that you can get some unmeetable demands. Void Crystal and the various Levisium and Mithril alloys are a usual culprit, but I've even lost dwarves to specific cloth demands before (guy wanted Cotton. Not pig tail, not rope reed, freaking cotton. Couldn't even trade for it).

Still, I think the variety more then makes up for the occasional special mood disaster. Especially since the nicer metals and alloys really help against the nastier enemies if you don't have adamantine.
Come play Mafia with us!

Leissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 02:30:04 pm »

with a little bit of effort (read: copypasting stuff from mod files to a new one) you can get legendary lands and civforge to work together. I did this in the past and it worked out pretty fine once I ironed out the double entries I accidentally made.
Quote from: #bay12games
<Skibiliano> I can just imagine a line of dwarves looking at two humans, "Breed!"

<Turgid> One dwarf to rule them all, one dwarf to find them, one dwarf to bring them all, and in the fortress bind them!

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 02:52:06 pm »

I was pretty careful about not duplicating entries.  And you know what, i think i am just going to turn off moods. For what i plan on doing they will be nothing but an unnessisary distraction. I plan on having a smaller fort, so loosing important dorfs to moods will be annoying.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 03:44:31 pm »

Orc mod and raptor mod are... interesting together. just be warned; you will have to regen the map a few times before you get a map where the raptors and Orcs haven't killed off the Elves, Humans, or both. (Elves in particular appear to be a favourite treat)

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 05:30:06 pm »

Is the raptor mod the dino mod?
Pages: [1] 2