Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Battle of the Gods II - Second Edition - OOC thread  (Read 10325 times)

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
Battle of the Gods II - Second Edition - OOC thread
« on: August 11, 2009, 01:27:47 pm »

Hello everyone.

It is time to go back in time and get the spirit of BotG back into another thread of divine proportions.

This time around, no extremely long boring rules, no prerequisites and no overpoweredness (hopefully).

For the original thread : http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19241.0

This time we will borrow most of Jamini's rules with a few alterations. The full information is given below.

For those of you who don't know what this is, we are roleplaying gods playing a game that represents a world. It's pretty simple really.

Ruleset:
1. One turn occurs every 3 days. If all players have posted before that, the turn will be announced sooner.

2. Each turn lasts for a certain number of in-game months which will be announced at the beginning of each turn.

3. A Group of creatures (whether they are moving on foot, on horse, by ship, on airship or otherwise) moves 1 square per month. Double that if you are on roads.
3.a. It is assumed that within one civilization there are roads linking settlements.
3.b. When two groups happen to be on the same tile, their players have to interact (by talking to each other). If one of the groups has hostile intentions, both players should try to see if they can reach an agreement on whose group gets wiped. If no agreement is reached, tell everything to the Referee (me).

4. Settlements can be created anywhere, though care should be taken in choosing the place. Too close to an existing settlement and it may not grow, too far and it will be hard to defend.
4.a. A settlement controls not only the tile it is in but also the region around it. Each tile is fairly large (about 500km across) so the settlement only represents the center of power for that region. It is assumed the countryside is dotted with other settlements.
4.b. Settlement growth is announced at change of turn by the Arbitrator (me). Sizes are Outpost -> Hamlet -> Village -> Town -> City -> Metropolis.

Outpost: Low development, sparsely populated and having trouble fighting against wildlife.
Hamlet: Life is getting better, no need to worry about wildlife. Survival is less a priority but there is need for luxuries and trade.
Village: A decent small community with a bit of trade and some extra cash for public works.
Town: An average-sized community with a strong economy.
City: A large community.
Metropolis: Huge center of trade and learning. Sinking in resources, luxuries and money.

5. Common sense trumps all.

6. Racial Flavor, Divine Actions, and awesome ideas trump common sense. Rich descriptions give rise.

7. Players may join at any time. Players begin with a single settlement (Outpost level).

8. Play fair, have fun. If you know an action will alienate another player, don't do it.

9. If you think a player did something overpowered, send a complaint to me. I will not intervene unless someone has a complaint.
Since you are all roleplaying gods playing a game. Everybody should announce their name, sphere(s) of influence, Race, Civ, and civ symbol (only standard latin alphabet letters please). No need to go into every little detail, you can develop that as the game goes.

State as well what kind of place your first settlement is in. It is assumed you don't know anything about the new world and you have been transported in by your deity, along with a fair chunk of land.

The map will be posted later.

All rules are open for discussion for now.

Most of us can be reached through PMs, IRC (NewNet network, channel #botg).

This is the thread for the preparation of the game and discussion around the rules as well as any OOC talk that may happen in-game.

Progressive answers to questions asked in this thread
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:15:42 pm by Istrian »

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Gods II - Second Edition - OOC thread
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 01:35:15 pm »

Im in

Name: Diakron
Sphere(s) of influence: Ice, Hunting, Vengence
Race: Rigma

A warm-blooded Reptilian, the Rigma are about 4 feet tall when standing up straight and about 7 feet long for nose to tip of their tail when on all four, although they rarely do this for anything other then running. They adapt to the environment around them after one year in a new Biome by shedding their skin. A new pattern  underneath afterward insures that they will live in at least semi-peace.

The Rigma are the beloved race of Diakron and they know it. A deeply religious people they sometimes forget what they are doing becuase they where thinking up new prayers to him. They are good with tools and weapons and do not hesitate to defend their god's name, sometime a little to zealously.

Civ: (i assume you meant name of civ) The Frosted Steel
Civ Symbol: R (alt-82)
Placement: in mountains near glaciers or the snow cap, but on the outskirts of the mountains able to see plains or a forest.

Diakron is a new god who has interesting ideas, such as "hunting" for a place to sit. He greatly favors his believers and bestows gifts lavishly, however he does not stand for traitors and has his four most loyal followers hunt them down and kill them. He enjoys games, mental activities and socializing with the older gods.

will be willing to do irc if some1 can help me learn Mirc

Edit: Placement and backstory added.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:27:24 pm by Diakron »
Back to Mafia with me!

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 01:48:30 pm »

I believe that players should not target other players with their powers, all attacks should be used on said players towns, forts, infrastructure, people, ect...
Back to Mafia with me!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 01:51:21 pm »

Diakron: do not use MIRC. It is confusing. Use anything else (I and several others use hydrairc, which works at least).
Open the program, type "/server irc.newnet.net"
Then type "/join botg"
Long Live United Forenia!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 01:54:43 pm »

God:

Teguchi

Teguchi is a form that appeared in a thousand incarnations. He is well known to shapeshift and to deceive, and to manipulate peoples luck just for the fun of it. In many pantheons, he is known as the god of luck, or the god of gambling, or even the gods of thiefs or liars.

Spheres: Luck

(do never underestimate the power of sheer luck, or lack thereof)

Race: The Inari

Civ: The Hikitsubito

symbols:

city: Y

army/hero/travelers: y

starting history:

No longer wanting to put up with the opression brought unto them by the Tengu, the Inari send a group of their best and most promising of all skills and crafts into a new, freshly created world.

They will be starting in a mountainous area, with a mix of traditional forests and bamboo forests

hero: Tabiko Tsururao

A brilliant scout and explorer, Tsururao is directly under royal command, a connection she partially owes to her older sister, which works as a secretary in the palace.
She is eager to discover the new world, and give names to things that no one ever saw before.
As a part of the royal servants, she has full authorisation as a diplomat.

This high position contrasts her habit to bring..err..souvenirs from places she visits. The shinier the better.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 05:21:37 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 01:55:10 pm »

I would even go as far as suggesting using a browser-based client : http://www.newnet.net/newnewnet/jirc/chatme.html

Just type '/join #botg' when it is done loading.

EDIT : Also, sea travel isn't faster than overland travel. In a month a lot can happen at sea to cause delays (storms, sea monsters, etc). So for all intents and purposes, travel speed for all groups is 1 tile per month.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 01:55:28 pm »

I also reserve a spotsies. Also, maybe you should add hero and group rules, y'know.

The Erithreans:

City: E
Groups: e
Civ name: None.

---The Basics-----------------------------------------

The very basics:

Basic Physiology:

Basic Culture and Religion:

Basic Technology:

If you've read these, you have a basic grasp of the Erithreans. Good for you! Now for...

---Advanced-----------------------------------------

Physiology:
Psychology:
Magic:
History:
Warfare:
Culture:
Hero and God:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 01:23:57 pm by Dwarfaholic »

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 01:56:34 pm »

ty every1 for the help :)
Back to Mafia with me!

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 01:58:07 pm »

Will be postponing my joining of this round for awhile. School starts up soon and would like to get a feel of how well I can do in school before I join in on games only to have to quit due to school.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 03:09:12 am by mission0 »
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 04:25:35 pm »

This might be a reservation, I don't know yet.

Naze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 04:34:45 pm »

Reserveded
Elf: Hmmm an ancient book...filled with spells?!
Fuma Amuisa, elf has been struck down.
Tzeentch doesn't like Elves, please don't teach your Elves to read.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 06:23:15 pm »

Name: Virex
Spheres: Growth, Adaptation
Race: Tezari
Spoiler: Basic physiology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Society (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic and combat (click to show/hide)

Placement: In a jungle-like area.
City symbol (or actualy, the symbol for the stationary part of a Tezari): T
Unit symbol (for mobile parts of a Tezari): t
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 10:01:02 am by Virex »

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 12:58:58 am »

Spoiler:  history. (click to show/hide)

God: Whain and Nāri, earth son and sky daughter. Children of the two creator gods, looking to gather more power for themselves.

Spheres: Sea, winds, navigation.

Race:
Spoiler: The Maehī (click to show/hide)

Hero: Kahi whēik.

Leader of the Kaumatua of the clan that has come to this world, and a capable fighter in addition to being a potent mage. He is a outgoing sort, but stays near the capital. He leads the people, and they do need him.

He's a rather friendly fellow, but if you manage to get on his bad side, he will make sure that vengeance is exacted.

Placement: next to an archipelago, or small continent, on the ocean.

city symbol: M

Unit symbol: m

Hero symbol: z
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 09:45:31 am by TheNewerMartianEmperor »
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 02:05:27 am »

City: N
Army: n

Reserved for symbol.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:58:56 pm by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 07:10:08 am »

God:
Symbols:
Race: Covad.