Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Wonderment Mod (v1.0, Aug-09)  (Read 12084 times)

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Wonderment Mod (v1.0, Aug-09)
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 01:01:03 am »

I'm not used to digging around in the raws for info -- which of your new metals (if any) are magmasafe? I'm drowning in cobalt but light on iron and steel...

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 08:39:12 pm »

RL is putting the squeeze on me and I'm going to hold off further development of this mod until sometime after the next DF version comes out (which I expect will be months and months from now). 

The mod works pretty well and does what I basically wanted it to do as it stands and so people can play and enjoy it, even without new (savefile breaking) versions coming out.

----
Magma-safe materials:  I don't believe I added in any new magma-safe materials.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 11:30:31 pm »

Thanks very much! I like what this adds to the junk underground.

And, I didn't even know nickel was magmasafe. /wince /fail.

I'm a bit addicted to Lapis Lazuli furniture now, actually, thanks to you. :}

Kale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 10:08:26 pm »

Why doesn't this mod get more attention?

Nobody1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 06:43:51 pm »

In my case, at least, because I'm much too busy playing it to get on the forums.  Now I'm combining it with the Relentless Assault mod; maybe now by the time I have weaponsmiths worthy of working with isrirkadankel and kordamakest, there'll still be plenty of things to kill!

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 08:49:44 pm »

Cool!  Attention!   ;D

Like every modder I know, I'm an attention-whore.  The more people who think this mod's got legs, the more work I'll invest when the next DF version comes out!

Rock on!
Fedor
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Calculus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 08:18:17 pm »

You, sir, have brought back the wonder and joy of Dwarf Fortress.

Thank you.

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 08:29:31 pm »

While we're shouting out, I'll voice my approval also. I searched the entire mod forum for stuff to try out, but the geology mod I ultimately ended up using was Wonderment. The additional variety in inclusions inside veins and clusters really spices things up, and I like the more complicated but more rewarding alloys. Thanks!

As a side-note, I was considering making my own geology mod until I learned how imminent the new version of DF is. Fortunately, I don't really have to, since Wonderment provides a suitable stopgap until the community gears up for a new round of modding in a few months. :)

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 10:33:22 pm »

The low quantities of metal is brutal... I did a year of exploratory digging with two miners and all I found was one small pocket of Chalcopyrite. Granite/Diorite fortress. I would say this is just bad luck, except there are very very few exposed metal veins on either the chasm walls or the ground exterior.  I mean it looks fine in the raws, but... *shrug*

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 11:00:06 pm by TheDeadlyShoe »
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 02:55:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm going to need to beef up the goblins a bit - just look how far that one was sent flying from the main battle.

It was either a champion dwarf armed with an =isrirkadankel mace= or one armed with an artifact steel battle axe that did that.  I'm guessing the former is more likely, since it's much stronger.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 09:45:16 am »

Yeah, I really ought to think about supplying more interesting enemies in the mod itself.  It's not that the *best possible* weapons/armor available have improved (they haven't - adamantite is still far better than anything else), but the *best available* at the average fort HAS gotten better.

Another good reason to wait for the next release and its beefed-up megabeasts.

Catts

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 09:11:52 pm »

It's not letting me smelt hematite.  Not for pig iron, even the option to make normal iron isn't available at a smelter.  What happened?

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 09:44:24 pm »

Fedor, I've been meaning to ask, what do the Carbon Fibres represent?

It's not letting me smelt hematite.  Not for pig iron, even the option to make normal iron isn't available at a smelter.  What happened?

Are you trying to make Bloomery Iron, or Pig Iron? You have to make one of those first.

Catts

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 10:06:57 pm »

Just trying to make regular 'Iron Bars' but I figured it out.  You need coal to make regular iron now it seems.

I'm still not understanding the difference/uses between Ironbright, Bloom, and Meteoric iron.  Could someone explain it please?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:08:50 pm by Catts »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 07:13:59 am »

In no particular order, Bloom Iron is a big mass of iron and slag. When making it into usable wrought iron, the dwarves have to pummel it to get the slag out. Pig Iron is Iron with such a high carbon content it's useless for most purposes, so it has to be puddled.
Ironbright is just an Iron/Nickel alloy, which I think Fedor named himself. You can make it yourself out of it's constituents, but you can also find it naturally in meteoric iron and smelt it straight into Ironbright (I think. Haven't tried it yet)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4