Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Wonderment Mod (v1.0, Aug-09)  (Read 12085 times)

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Wonderment Mod (v1.0, Aug-09)
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:20:32 am »

Name:     The Wonderment Mod
By:       Fedor Andreev
Version:  v1.0, Aug-09

The Wonderment Mod makes changes to minerals, metals, and gems to focus on the partially medieval, partially fantasy setting that most of us feel is appropriate for dwarves.

Download at http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1324
View an example fortress site at http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6655

Every single mineral, every single metal, and every single gem should have character; you should be able to feel that each one belongs in the game, that it adds to the experience.  Painstakingly researched realism, abundant imagination, and careful adaptation to the inner workings of DF together will, I hope, let you delve more deeply, build more grandly ... and create more Wonderment!

Usage:
Download, replace files with those enclosed, generate a new world, have fun!

Changes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sources:

Sean Mirrsen's mods
The DF Rebalance mod
The Legendary Lands mod
Deon's "all stones are economic" mod

Commentary:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 02:53:45 pm by Fedor »
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Wonderment Mod (v1.0, Aug-09)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:24:04 am »

A cluster of Andesite within a layer of Felsite includes Cobalt ore and clusters of Pyrite, turning what would have otherwise been a boring bunch of rock - of the sort the game has far too much of! - into a important source of alloys for superior battle metals and beautiful decorative materials.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 01:00:35 pm by Fedor »
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:26:22 am »

Question on usage, since its not specified- do we need to install this and generate a new world for it to work?

Nevermind, I read the sticky. Will try this out later :) - from the DFMA page it looks great. Much more clear, and I like the philosophy of have an abundence of metal ores and more coal.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:27:59 am by Markavian »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 12:53:28 am »

Certainly looks good- and I've had the trouble with odd appearances of minerals in my mod, too. Garnierite and Native Silver turn up in single square clusters in their respective origins, but they're both meant to be veins. It's rather odd.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 02:51:28 pm »

Quick fix #1:

Smelting chromite ore was yielding lots of aluminum.  In the file "reactions_standard", replace the SMELT_CHROMITE entry with:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:SMELT_CHROMITE]
[NAME:make chromium bars (use chromite)]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:CHROMITE]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ALUMINUM]
[PRODUCT:50:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:CHROMIUM]
[PRODUCT:75:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ALUMINUM]
[FUEL]

This change doesn't require a game restart - just save, quit, edit, and resume.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 03:07:26 pm »

(silly question) Is it now packaged wit the rest of the mod as well?

I'm guessing it probably is, but we are all human and can make mistakes, so I thought I'd check.

Edit:  Also, given how it's such a small change, I think it's cool that you just posted it right there  so that people need don't to re-download the whole thing if they already have it.  The thought has never occurred to me to do something similar.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 05:20:25 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 12:53:12 pm »

The downloadable file now includes this fix.

Aluminum and Athamadagi are swapped; this'll be fixed in the next major release.

Question for everyone:  Should I include reactions to turn economically important rocks into rough form out of blocks?  This would make it possible to get metal out of Blocks of Native Copper, but also lengthen the reactions list.  Since the game interface doesn't handle long lists very well, I'm asking you "Do you think it's worth it?".
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 01:01:29 pm by Fedor »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 02:54:27 pm »

You could put up an optional extra download, or something similar to that.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

BadgerPrime

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 08:45:21 am »

Anyone else getting lots of missing matgloss entries?  I'm running the test OGL version so that may be the problem...  Just curious.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 02:01:13 pm »

Anyone else getting lots of missing matgloss entries?  I'm running the test OGL version so that may be the problem...  Just curious.
I double-checked with 0.28.181.40d and 0.28.181.40d14 and got no errors.

If either one is the version you're referring to, try re-installing.  Start with a clean copy of the game.  Copy over the new object files without deleting anything except what they replace.

Organ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 01:04:40 pm »

Interesting mod, I like how it makes some much needed tweaks without adding too much content.
The fight in the dog in your what?

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 08:21:51 pm »

My plans for the next version are to offer block to rough stone reverse carving as an option, as suggested by LegoLord, and make a few small tweaks elsewhere.  Actually, one "small tweak" won't be so small, but it's a secret.  ;)

I might or might not reorder the mineral list so that layer rocks are included in the "non-economic" rock section in game lists (esp. the economic rock menu) instead of having their own weird section at the top.

If you have other ideas for changes let me know!  At present, the Wonderment Mod limits itself to minerals, metals, and gemstones, but I could certainly be persuaded to rework crops and milled goods.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 08:23:26 pm by Fedor »

Kale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 06:22:23 pm »

What changes were made to flux stones that makes you find more? Are more stones considered flux? Does this include more magma safe stones? Sorry if these concerns have already been answered, I'm gonna try out this mod in just a bit!

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 07:03:38 am »

What changes were made to flux stones that makes you find more? Are more stones considered flux? Does this include more magma safe stones? Sorry if these concerns have already been answered, I'm gonna try out this mod in just a bit!
Flux stones - No more (common) stones are considered flux, but clusters of flux stones may appear in any sedimentary or even metamorphic layer.

Magma-safe stones - Several mods have made more stones magma-safe.  This is more realistic, but I'm not sure that it actually improves the game.   Knowing that Bauxite is the only magma-safe stone adds some fun and character to DF, IMHO.  I could easily be persuaded to change my mind.  I'm also planning to add Flaede's Gnomeite (a steel that can be made into mechanisms).

It'll be a couple of weeks before the next version comes out.  Partly due to the scale of the changes planned, party due to RL affairs.

Kale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 02:12:47 pm »

Wow, thanks for this mod. I fell in love with it when one of my Gem Setters made a Celestial Jade Armor Stand called The Skewered Suicide. Everything looks great and I found wtfchalk in my siltstone layer. Thank you so much for taking the time to make this!

As for magma safe rocks, yeah, it is more realistic, which I think is reason enough to include it. I understand why you would want to stay away from making the game easier, though. I'm behind you 100% either way!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4