Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goddamn the registry  (Read 2070 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Goddamn the registry
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:16:23 am »

I recently realized my windows XP computer has this huge thing called "The Registry". So, I ran regedit.exe to take a look, and sure as hell there's X+1 billion files in there, and it checks EVERY ONE whenever I try to boot the computer, and it has to go through this huge list to look for any kind of important information (like how to run headphones). Anyway, when I was taking a look I deleted four (yes, only 4) files with harmless-looking names. Now sound doesn't work on my computer at all.

So, I thought I'd be the mature, adult-minded, responsible, computer-oriented person I usually am and try to find a program on teh inturtoobz to fix my registry for me. Preferably a free one, since 29.95 is a bit much to spend on deleting four no-name files.

The problem? All of these freaking registry-cleaning programs that google spits up when I search "clean windows registry free" (without quotes) aren't actually free. Sure they'll SCAN the computer for free, and then proceed to tell that yes I do indeed have a problem and thusly I need to pay $30 for a disk in a box, just so that I can read the number printed on the box and paste it into the program so it'll actually fix my computer for me.

So. Aside from using FDisk and completely obliterating everything on my computer, is there some way to clean up my windows registry for free FOR REAL, and make my computer make noise and boot quickly again?
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Goddamn the registry
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:23:08 am »

I've got Registry Booster 2, which from what I understand is free and does something like what you want.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:28:35 am »

This might sound naive, but have you tried re-installing your sound drivers?  That should re-register sound stuff.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:37:31 am »

Don't belive all the "bloated regestry" rumours there exists, it's created so that they can make money off of you.

Aqizzar have the only solution you need.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:43:31 am »

Duke: Registry Booster 2 is another one of these gawdawful copies of the exact same program, which sure as hell will scan my computer for free, advertising only that part of the program on the website, and then when I click 'yes please fix these goddamn errors for me' it says "well sorry dude but... you need to buy the full version to fix more than 20 of your 1164 errors". The good news is I can save $50 on this $70 program and get it for only $29.95.

Aqizzar: Actually I haven't given much thought to the drivers, I'll give them a try. Although I was under the impression my headphones don't need drivers really, since I can plug them into anything and they just instantly work...

EDIT: And now for the goddamn the god-damned part. After a quick check of the control panel, my computer says I use Legacy audio drivers. So I go on google, expecting that like video cards, you just go to the homepage, and they're like "oh sure here's the newest stuff." Right? WRONG! No, once again the solution to my problem is thwarted by a billion copies of one program each sold at the same price by different people, each one advertising they'll fix all my problems FOR FREE! (once I buy their $29.95 product) Why the hell would I need to download a tool to download drivers?!? Frak!!!

*chills* Seriously though this is starting to get on my nerves.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:51:30 am by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 11:48:03 am »

You'll need to reinstall the drivers for the sound card, not the headphones. :P

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 11:51:26 am »

Exactly.  Whatever you deleted, it obviously included whatever tells your computer how to make noises.  So if you reinstall the doodads for the stuff that makes noise, it will remind your computer that your soundcard does actually exist, and they'll be able to talk to each other again.

Believe me, I feel your pain.  This fucking sorcerous minefield has bitten me in the ass so many times.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 11:55:04 am »

Registry Booster does what it advertises and doesn;t do that with me. Odd.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 12:05:10 pm »

*deep breath through nose* Okay, my own computer is more help than google right now. That's pretty sad in my opinion.

I went to the device manager, and opened up the list of "sound, video and game controllers". Lo and behold, something called "Microsoft UAA Function Driver for High Definition Audio - Realtek 880" has an exclamation mark in a yellow bubble. Further investigation reveals that this device cannot start (code 10). So I google this thing... and people want to sell me more driver-scanning software. Most of which starts with the three letters "reg" to indicate that they want to sell me the same registry-cleaning stuff from earlier. I am not much of a swearing person usually, but

FUCK!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 12:08:58 pm »

Just download the driver from the manufacturer's website or Cnet, and reinstall it.  That's all it'll take.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 12:30:09 pm »

Aqizzar speaks the truth. You may also have a realtek audio driver CD somewhere in your house, although the driver probably just came with your computer, in which case you should google "Realtek 880 driver" and your operating system, and that ought to find it for you.

Eusing Free Registry Cleaner is, evidently, a Registry Cleaner that is free. It prompts for full version registration when you open the program but it doesn't disable anything for free users. It won't redownload things you deleted by hand though.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 05:54:15 pm »

http://www.ccleaner.com/. THIS. IS. SPARTA. FREE!

Have a search for Realtek 880 drivers on the interweb and see what you get.

Also their are a couple of things you can try. First right click on properties on that driver and somewhere it should have the option to rollback the driver.

Another thing to try is to uninstall the driver and restart. Windows may reinstall itself or it may come up in the windows updates again.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 07:09:39 pm »

wouldnt it work to restore your computer to a date from before you deleted those entries?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 03:22:17 pm »

wouldnt it work to restore your computer to a date from before you deleted those entries?
system restore will probably cause issues if you did "anything" else in that time

which could include changes made by various installed programs.

whatever you do, don't fix your registry with software made to specifically manage registries.

Rofl

If sound is broken, reinstall your sound card (search for the name of the card)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 06:33:30 pm »

http://www.ccleaner.com/. THIS. IS. SPARTA. FREE!

POWER OF THE INTERNET COMMUNISM!
Pages: [1] 2