Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Darkfall. Ugh.  (Read 3648 times)

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Darkfall. Ugh.
« on: August 11, 2009, 08:02:01 am »

I'm sure there was a thread for it, but it's buried some where.

Darkfall is another for the most part generic rpg boasting it self as a revolution to the mmo world. It offers boat making like TOP the ability to make walls and such much like Wurm except with much more restrictions. Although I hear a lot of good things about it I also here a large number of bad things. One thing that mainly makes people angry is the claim of freedom, which, is there, but not in a good way. The fact that it's of no issue for anyone to come over and rape you blind while you try and shoot goblins sets many people off. Any high level can jump in front of an arrow or poll arm to and have you flagged. Basically they kill you, take your stuff (sense techincally, you attacked them) AND you get the grief guards on you, who don't know the difference between some one jumping in front of a car or the car running over them.

Game mechanics seem to work though, the ability to aim arrows and weapons make the game much less of a grind like experience. The combat is referred to as oblivion like by some people, but reminds me more of mount and blade dulled down. Arrows fly straight, there's a visible cool down timer, but on the bright side it's your fault if you miss. I like that. Adds a bit of skill. On the down side, you can accidentally hit people, which normally provokes them to come over and give you a taste of their all might e-peen, ocasionally dancing about your lvl 1 corpse with there lvl ova<9000 only mount. Is this a bad thing? Yes. But oh well.

The company however is the worst part. This company is evil, pure and simple. It's like if 4chan was a cooperate executive. That's not a good thing, ever. They offer no demo, just glimpses of the game with them saying "You can do anything in Darkfall. Dark fall is a mmo revolution." Of course they're going to say it's a revolution, it's there game. If that's not bad enough, you can download the client for free. Bad? No. But the part that bites you is that you still have to pay $50, 40e, 35pounds, whatever to activate your account. Than after that it's another $15. Monthly. Really? At least with Wurm you're only paying 10e every 2 months for it's flaws (well, I get mine free), but $15 a month is ridiculous. It's like WoW in a sense, but I hope that Darkfalls better than that piece of crap.

Well, it offers some good stuff I guess. Ships can attack other ships and steal loot, you can raid towns, build walls, steal mounts, it gives you a level of freedom that games like Fallout, Wurm, or Oblivion offer, although in an online way. Aiming your attacks is a plus, however griefable. Dragons look pretty cool, flying around and killing you. The game might be good, but worth it? I don't know. I personally don't feel like spending that much money to pay for a game that's got so many flaws. It might be for some people, but not for me. I admit I'd play it if I had the money for it, (which I currently don't) but I'd probably get bored of it like most other games. They've got a very tight no refunds policy, so tough shit if you don't like it.

If you're not going to play Darkfall, I suppose here are some games to get your hopes up about-

Love
Star Trek Online
Aion

That's all for now.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Darkfall. Ugh.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 09:41:33 am »

Kinda sounds like a graphical hellmoo. Though I can't be sure if thats a good thing.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 12:12:43 pm »

Darkfall is a fiasco, indeed. Open-loot PvP isn't a bad idea in itself but the execution here is silly. Most people fight naked to not lose their junk, macroers and cheaters are EVERYWHERE. It is not good times.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 12:18:28 pm »

Kinda sounds like a graphical hellmoo. Though I can't be sure if thats a good thing.
Hellmoo is fun, but I'm not sure if I'd pay WoW rates to play something similar.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 12:39:01 pm »

I might pay 15 bucks a month IF everything in hellmoo was there, plus decent add on rates and more ability to make your own fun stuff.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 12:39:27 pm »

What? Why do they have Run as a skill?

EDIT: Random flying dragons of doom look interesting. :O

EDIT: And sprint...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 12:41:55 pm by Jack_Bread »

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 08:13:22 am »

I used to be slightly interested until i saw the community, after which i vowed that should i ever be elected world leader and need to start an idiot purge for whatever reason, the population of the official forums would be pretty high up on the list.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 08:25:17 am »

Darkfall is a fiasco, indeed. Open-loot PvP isn't a bad idea in itself but the execution here is silly. Most people fight naked to not lose their junk, macroers and cheaters are EVERYWHERE. It is not good times.

I know I shouldn't, but...

That sounds hilarious. I'd sig it just so it could be taken out of context.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 11:47:16 am »

I know I shouldn't, but...

That sounds hilarious. I'd sig it just so it could be taken out of context.

I've been trying to hold back this joke since yesterday.

You'd think they'd be more likely to lose their junk if they fought naked.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:51:24 am by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 12:15:11 pm »

ProTip: Full loot only works if loot & equipment is relatively easy to make to begin with.

For example, to make a suit of leather armor. You need some leather, naturally. Of course in the two weeks I was playing, I failed to spot a single animal that wasn't a bear. (Bears will hunt you for miles and miles and miles because your pixelated flesh is delicious.

Once you've somehow aquired leather, you need the leather crafting skill (or whatever skillset it is referred to as.

It costs 500g+ to train leather working...

To put that into perspective, a goblin takes roughly five to ten minutes to kill with newb equipment and drops between 0 to 5 gold.

They plan to raise the costs of crafting skills too, to make it more exclusive.

I am not entirely sure these people use the same brand of logic as you and me.

Addendum: Oh I forgot. It also costs gold to craft the item in question.

I think they've heard about "Gold sinks and gold springs." but this is like using a bottomless chasm, six miles wide, to dispose of a goblin child's widdling.

Alternatively, you can get "ancient gear". Which is a nicer way to say, "rusted pieces of crap that gives you tetanus. If you are lucky." considering you are peeling them off of the carcasses of long dead warriors, it's also technically grave robbing. Nice.

Of course once you've aquired half a set, the native gank-squad decides they're bored with their high-end pvp and decide to kill everyone in the newb regions and steal their shit.

Oh and since you can be killed ANYWHERE, crafting without a wall of bored bodyguards is unfeasible too.

In short: Darkfall is made of fail. And the only reason I even deemed it a second glance to begin with was because I purchased the account while coming down with two colds at once. And the walls suggested that "what's the worst that could happen?". The walls have been stripped for their insolence.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:21:09 pm by Cajoes »
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 01:24:10 pm »

Eurogamer gave Darkfall a 2/10.

The developer made a very long and obviously angry reply to the rating, claiming that darkfall was "not for everybody" and that the writer "couldn't handle Darkfall". They've requested that Eurogamer get a different writer to re-write the review. Some things they did not like was this-

The UI will occasionally not load.

You have to click the right mouse button to switch between attacking/moving/ect with interacting. This means to change weapons, gear, or arrange anything in your inventory (if this was possible- it's not) you have to come to a complete halt- normally while being chased by a bear. This makes the estimated time for switching between a bow and a sword 10 seconds, 5 if you're quite nimble.

"Adding further insult to injury is combat - usually the only saving grace of a bad MMO. Darkfall's system is totally twitch-based, in that you click your mouse and you swing a sword, or fire a bow, or shoot some magic. You have a crosshair, and your hits are dependent on whether or not this crosses the enemy at any given time - like an FPS, except with little to no reference point. Enemies' AI boils down to running in circles, which is actually surprisingly effective, considering how slow and floaty the controls tend to be. The difference in feedback between a sword hitting or missing is negligible, and thus much of your melee combat becomes a ridiculous ring-around-the-roses of chasing an enemy frantically clicking the left mouse button.

As much as this might sound like Diablo II, Darkfall's combat is rather more similar to a Quake mod circa 1997. The lack of hit detection saps the combat of any weight or skill, and makes it incredibly frustrating to fight enemies during PVE or PVP combat. Judging the distance that one needs to be at to fight a foe is largely guesswork, and, worse still, your combat skills affect how often you actually connect. It isn't even an issue of timing your clicks based on the connection with your sword - it's nigh-on random. Using spells or arrows is somewhat less exhausting, but usually ends messily when an enemy decides to run at you, leaving you with the choice of changing weapon (a ten-second operation - five if you're particularly nimble) or running backwards in the vain hope of not dying."

As you can see he's not very happy about the combat system.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 01:48:31 pm »

Darkfall is fun. At least if you got some fps-background and enjoy fights actually requiring some personal player skills.
Only MMO I could stand playing for more than 2 weeks except UO.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 01:59:28 pm »

Darkfall is fun. At least if you got some fps-background and enjoy fights actually requiring some personal player skills.

Try Wurm Online.

I wouldn't compare darkfall with FPS. Would you varifying the review? He says that your combat skills determine weather nor not your attack actually "connect" and the aiming is just part of it.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 07:05:39 pm »

Try Wurm Online.

I wouldn't compare darkfall with FPS. Would you varifying the review? He says that your combat skills determine weather nor not your attack actually "connect" and the aiming is just part of it.

I wouldn't compare Darkfall with FUN.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 07:21:53 pm »

I personally normally support open PvP in games, but I think this is a good example of where it's done wrong. A better system is one where there are NPC guards who, if they don't stop trouble, give you ample warning.

Also, every system I've seen where you have to aim successfully at an enemy, and THEN it makes a check, is really just annoying, especially since you can't tell why you missed. At the very least, make it obvious you were blocked.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: [1] 2 3