Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Looking for Strategy Games  (Read 2113 times)

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Strategy Games
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 03:51:57 am »

its not too much like Warcraft or anything, but there is a LOT of strategy involved. and each time you play it the events are different...

my suggestion: King Of Dragon Pass by A#

and its really norseish....like odin and baldur and freya and the valkyries.

i liked it cause it was medival like and cause it was quite similar to my religion of Asatru for certain things.... not the same, but quite akin....

and its fun!
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 04:07:27 am »

Unless it has visable combat of some sort, that is animated, i'm not interested... looks kind of like one of the early elder scrolls games...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 07:29:11 am »

Sins of the Solar Empire.

Homeworld 2.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 07:41:20 am »

Sins of the Solar Empire.

Homeworld 2.

Really should have read the original post, you know.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Alemourn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 01:47:37 pm »

Here's a site that might provide you a big list of strategy games. Organized in genres too.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 01:55:39 pm »

Bloody hell man!

thats quite a list. while in itself, it has a quite small list of medieval games it's still quite the list.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Singularity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 11:55:33 pm »

I personally like Fire Emblem. It's actually a tactics game, but since you mentioned Wesnoth, maybe you'll play it.  It's a series for the GBA, and it also happens to be pretty difficult.  Not like "I wanna be the guy" level difficult, but you've been warned. ;)

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 04:08:39 am »

Yea, i own it too, (damn i forgot alot didn't I?) i was in i think chapter 28 of Hectors' story... Can't find my SP so i can't give the actual chapter... I believe i stopped playing it because my freakin cleric kept dieing...
— Commander Fleyitch

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 06:49:44 am »

There's Dominions 3, but I'm uncertain if you'd consider this animated enough. You can always try the demo.

There's also Fantasy Wars (couldn't find a better video), which is essentially a 3D, animated Fantasy General - that is, a turn-based, hex-based strategy game with unit experience and persistance (meaning you get to keep them from mission to mission). Demo available.

Then there's the Heroes of Might and Magic series. Starting from 1, which is pretty cartoony, to 3 which is pretty highres-looking. 4 changed gameplay and graphics to the point where it wasn't as appealing (but you may like it if you thought the previous ones needed changes) and 5 returned to the old formula, but turned anime-ish.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 05:20:04 pm »

Has anyone played the Black & White series? it looks pretty good

bad as shit

EDIT: let me ellaborate.

The game claims to be some sort of spore-like game with a lot freedom to do what you want, and (important) supposedly a top-notch AI system, which is seen in things such as you being able to teach things to the creature.

However, the reality is other.

The game has pretty good graphics, I´ll give that to you, and it allows you to engage into redecorating the landscape (to an extent): you can move around trees and (small) rocks.

As for the gameplay itself, well, think about it as a dumbed down RTS game: you have your "temple", which is basically you: if it gets destroyed you are pwned. Then there are villages scattered around, which you have to try to convert to your side by basically casting spells around it. If you create food you are good, if you smite them with lightning you are evil (this part is important: smiting people with lightning is about the only fun part in the game). And if you are good or evil your temple will in turn look evil.

Once you control the town you can tell them to build stuff they might need (like, say, farm plots), and then assign jobs to the population, which they are sucky at performing (particularily, food generating jobs. Which is annoying because your people tend to starve unless you micromanage the food production process)

That aside, you also have this creature thing, which was hailed as the pinnacle of the game AI. Supposedly it is trainable. The reality is another: It can sort of cast some spells (like the ones you cast) for free. Repeat the spell enough times around the creature, and it will start casting it around. (This is about the only way to make agriculture work, btw, because you casting crop-growth spells is counterproductive, but the creature can do so for free continuously). It eats, too. If you give it people to eat another script kicks it and it starts cannibalizing your population. But that's about it. It doesnt behave particularily intelligently, and in fact, it's glaring bad AI will mean that you wont be able even to count in it performing the scripts intelligently.

The aim of the game is to get believers to produce mana to cast more spells at a bigger range, hopefully eventually being able to reach and destroy the enemy god (IF there is one, more on this later). Supposedly your creature can assist in this, but it is more often a nuisance than not. The campaign missions are full of little minigames which are rather silly and often pointless, and exist solely to make the game seem deeper than it actually is. Sometimes they pretend they affect the storyline. But they dont. The game levels are lineal, you cant stray from the main storyline.

The skirmish mode is pretty much the same, only since instead of being puzzle oriented like the campaign, you are matched outright to the sillyness of enemy AIs, it's far more boring.
 In the end it's a grind: build your population till other town is in range (this can be very annoying, particularily if some town is very far away, as it happens in the sixth campaign mission, I think) and blast it into submission. Repeat ad nauseam.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 05:39:46 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 05:40:53 pm »

There's Dominions 3, but I'm uncertain if you'd consider this animated enough. You can always try the demo.

Dom 3 is pretty good, IMHO.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 06:07:32 pm »

Well, I guess B&W really isn't for everybody...  I personally found it to be very engaging.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 06:53:45 pm »

I personally found Black and White a little too not-awesome for my tastes.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 05:21:41 am »

B&W was an alright game. i hated training the damn pet. stupid thing did what i trained it not to do anyway.  like eat people.

and i could never get past the second level, which was either ridiculously hard for some reason or it would freeze. but that may have been the fact that i had to pirate it considering the copy i have decided to separate shiny stuff from the cd....

otherwise it was quite a good game considering the kind of games made in its era. and considering there have been worse looking/ behaving games.

like altered beast.

um. is there any system reqs or are you just wanting games in general? or are console games also up on the list?
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 05:32:20 am »

Patrician 3
Celtic Kings
Seven Kingdoms
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 [2] 3