Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Looking for Strategy Games  (Read 2115 times)

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Looking for Strategy Games
« on: August 11, 2009, 01:12:25 am »

Alright figured this would be the right place to post this.

I'm looking for Medieval/Renaissance Era strategy games, and having some trouble deciding or even finding ones that look interesting.

Current loadout of strategy games
Medieval 2:TW
Rome:TW Gold (and Alexander)
Warcraft 3: TFT

I was interested in Empire:TW but from what I've read on this forum, and some others, that it has some rather odd bugs (units climbing invisible rubble).

So anyone know any good ones?

PS: Don't mention Battle for Wesnoth, I used to play it.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Strategy Games
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 01:21:48 am »

Well, have you tried the Stronghold series?  It was an alright Medieval strategy game I thought.  The only thing I can think of that kind of annoyed me was with one of the campaign missions taking me forever to complete.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 01:28:04 am »

I played stronghold at a friends house once, I didn't like it. At first I thought "hey this is pretty good!" and then realized that it may be one of those games like warcraft 3 where to win you have to build stuff in a certain order to win, or even stand a chance...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 02:46:03 am »

Well, you could pick up the other bits of the Total War series, like Shogun (but that's pretty ancient, about 1999). Um, what about Rise of Legends? I guess that technically counts.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:47:42 am by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 02:58:46 am »

Bah, looks to Sci-fi for my tastes... Mainly looking for a sort of Turn based/Real time Hybrid similar to Total War.

Or at least being set medieval europe with use of gunpowder, but not to go so far as to give them tanks and flamethrowers...

Has anyone played the Black & White series? it looks pretty good

Or how about about mods for some of the listed games? I could always go for a change of pace.
— Commander Fleyitch

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 03:08:26 am »

Hmmm, Black & White isn't as strategy-y as an RTS.

Are you looking for something kinda steampunk, or actual gritty medeival combat?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 03:10:59 am »

Gritty medieval of course
— Commander Fleyitch

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 03:28:03 am »

There's this game, Age of Empires II.  You may have heard of it.  Nice and medieval.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 03:30:58 am »

I own it, but i didn't list it because i find it takes WAY to long to win, and i have misplaced the disc...
— Commander Fleyitch

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 03:33:28 am »

You could try a Battle for Middle Earth game, they're decent time killers.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 03:37:10 am »

OOOOHHH! I love that series! Thanks for reminding me! I might hit the local Gamestop tomorrow...

Well in case they don't have it, let the suggestions continue.
— Commander Fleyitch

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 03:39:56 am »

Well it isn't exactly medevial but Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War is a fun game. At any point in the game you can take control of your heroe unit and slash your way through the enemy army. Ship combat is fun too along with the map making tools.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 03:40:29 am »

How about Age of Mythology?

(although the time period is waaaaaay back)

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 03:40:39 am »

Crusader Kings can be interesting if you're into Paradox Interactive's style of games.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 03:50:53 am »

Age of Mythology looks WAY to old for my tastes

Rise and Fall: Civilizations looks interesting, but i'm not sure if i would be able to get it within a reasonable timeframe, or even at all

Crusader kings looks good, but i'm not familiar with Paradox Interactives series of strategy games, the only game of thiers i've even heard of before that was Mount & Blade
— Commander Fleyitch
Pages: [1] 2 3