Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting babies  (Read 1384 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Hunting babies
« on: August 10, 2009, 10:46:57 pm »

Do babies sever on break?

I seem to recall a baby being shot in the hand and it coming clean off. My brother was surprised at this so I thought that maybe my memory was jagged. I decided to go out baby hunting.

... but I can't find any babies. I put all my skill points into archery and searched two entire human towns to find them - no result. Do babies even exist in adventure mode? The map I used has been used before, so did all the babies have time to grow up? Does the wheels of time stop spinning after the world is generated and thus NPCs don't procreate? is this why I didn't find any babies?

Does that mean that a world in which a fortress survives 12+ years is completely free of children?

I looked around for a long time so I don't have the energy right now to generate a new world and start all over. Please, does anyone here have the answer to my question? Find me a baby ... and shoot it!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting babies
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:51:34 pm »

You could always just make a fort, breed a few dwarf babies, abandon, and hunt down the former workers. It's fun, really. Just do it on a small island.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 02:50:27 am »

You could always just make a fort, breed a few dwarf babies, abandon, and hunt down the former workers. It's fun, really. Just do it on a small island.
Sounds Familar

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 07:33:49 am »

I found that stopping world gen after 1 year will have a lot of babies crawling around. Though I havnt noticed and sever on breaks from them.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 12:44:14 pm »

I found that stopping world gen after 1 year will have a lot of babies crawling around. Though I havnt noticed and sever on breaks from them.

Couldn't do that. Can only stop on year 2. (i suppose I should change something in the .ini?) and there wasn't a single baby.

I abandoned an old one and tracked down the dwarves. I killed a baby but the rest of the population ganged up on me... god and damn. I give up.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 01:55:14 am »

edit the files for when a baby becomes a child, then stop before then.