Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma and Caravans.  (Read 1351 times)

fatrobo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Magma and Caravans.
« on: August 10, 2009, 08:38:24 pm »

So...I have a very dwarven fortress, lots of tiny rooms, lots of copper, forges and a magma pipe. And with this lovely magma pipe, I decide to channel it to the edge of a map to the edge of my adamantine extraction, usinga  channel to drop it to my storage bay. Sounds all gravy, my nice big magma tub is filled with magma to trigger my doom shoot for tentacle demons.

Well, my pipe keeps pumping out magma out onto the open hillside after my 4z level 30*2 magma tub fills up. Dig some channels, divert the flow down the hillside.

The dwarven caravan comes by. The diplomat gets immolated and stomps away unhappy. The wagons are smarter and go around. They then ride above the warm ground, and after about 60 tiles....BURST INTO FLAMES! All six of them,

I have flaming wagons riding toward my depot. Their horses are screaming,the wheels are flaming and their food is burning as the caravan wagon merchants keep riding. My firefighting dwarves look on. Since there's no water on the map, they just shrug and take the steel armor on board, Although, one tries throwing snow onto the wagons with no effect.

Now admittedly i'd channeled the magma from the center of my map to the nearest map edge which parallels the path the caravans took. And, I'd like to think it's really NOT because the heat from the warm ground burst the wagons into flame.

tl:dr - Did the last caravan burst into flames because the wagons were riding too close to my nice new magma lake I've built?
           Did the caravans burst into flames because of excessively warm ground?

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Re: Magma and Caravans.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 09:07:43 pm »

Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

IronBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 10:24:43 pm »

Sounds all gravy, my nice big magma tub is filled with magma to trigger my doom shoot for tentacle demons.
No demons are vulnerable to magma, I'm afraid. Tentacles should drown, however...

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:30:20 pm »

Sounds all gravy, my nice big magma tub is filled with magma to trigger my doom shoot for tentacle demons.
No demons are vulnerable to magma, I'm afraid. Tentacles should drown, however...
Capt.Ducks video tutorial teaches to use cave-ins as a means of "easy" destroying a glowing pit. Looked  pretty impressive.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 10:35:39 am »

So...I have a very dwarven fortress...

Very good mental image from this. Well done.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 10:38:25 am »

tl:dr - Did the last caravan burst into flames because the wagons were riding too close to my nice new magma lake I've built?
           Did the caravans burst into flames because of excessively warm ground?

Yes, I suppose that is probably what happened. If you've got magma flooding where the caravans and liaison are walking, there's the possibility they'll be immolated, especially if the magma is still flowing.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 10:44:48 am »

That's dedication that they continued onwards to trade WHILE ON FIRE. Maybe they thought they could trade you for some water.

Of course better yet would have been to trade them a bunch of booze.

fatrobo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 10:50:07 am »

My Spartians and Amazons are now getting Adamantine gauntlets. However, we're running low on wolf meat and imported carp bits, so we've started eating the cats and horses. Damn the wagondrivers who in their haste, allowed their wheels to skirt the magma and burst into flames!

As for my now useless magma tub.... I'll collapse the floors below onto the demons, along with the tub. Therefore the demons will be knocked unconcious, and the magma will kill their tortured dwarves. Said tortured dwarves will thus die a dwarfy death with lava.

For whatever reason though, the new migrants can somehow dodge my legendary obsidian-sword wielding dwarves, in cloth! I want more training injuries damn it! Nothing beat the one freak training accident in an old fortress where my amazon champion decapitated her fellow champion and lover. Sobbed for a month, went insane and killed everybody.

In other news, my legendary firebrand hunter with legendary wrestling skills got stabbed to death with no goblins around.

Also, there's no ice near my fortress. And the brave merchans were buried in my tombs afterwards, a testament to dwarfiness. They rode their wagons closer, making it easier for me to loot the wagons.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:52:57 am by fatrobo »

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 01:02:44 pm »

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat of day nor gloom of night shall stay these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."
U+203C DOUBLE EXCLAMATION MARK (‼) is the Dwarf Fortress symbol for fire, not two instances of U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK (!!).

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 01:11:01 pm »

You'll notice that magma is NOT in the slogan.

Also, someone want to draw this event?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 10:17:11 pm »

Also, someone want to draw this event?
Here, this is exactly what it looked like.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.