Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Starting the Liberal Revolution  (Read 4716 times)

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting the Liberal Revolution
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 05:46:04 pm »

I'm not particularly good at this game, but this is generally how I start out:

1. Go to the Co-op. I usually recruit ~4 Hippies, if you want to get a full six (for squad "Herb Patrol") do so.
2. Have however many hippies you got sell brownies for one day. After that day, move them to a different safe house. (So heat doesn't build up at your founders right away.) Once they arrive at the new house, set them to selling brownies again.
3. Once you have a nice brownie income (about a thousand stocked), have the entire Herb Patrol spray-paint the Crack Houses. This will eventually get them to 50 Juice, and are less likely to rat on you if they get caught.
4. At this point, you can either have them go back to selling brownies, or equip them with swords and have them kill the bouncer at the cigar bar until they get to about 100 Juice. If you opt to go the way of the murder-spree, have them sell a bit first so you'll have enough money to pay for the swords. Once they hit a hundred juice, have them surrender at the police station. I always start with a lawyer, and they should be able to get off. Once they're back at base, let them sell brownies again. They should never rat on you.

Like I said above, I always pick the lawyer option during founder creation. This should get you a nice cash build-up, and and if you're lucky they could finance the majority of your operation for the rest of the game.

As for the above "I'm not good at this game" comment, I typically do something stupid with my founder while doing the above, and get them killed before I can get everything set up nicely. Ah well.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 04:01:39 pm »

I'm having an incredible and possibly slightly glitched game.

I started with the "herb patrol" tactic detailed in the above post, and these hippies have been providing me with far more money than I can ever spend, even if I were to use an ace liberal lawyer on every case.

I then moved my founder to a downtown apartment (I could easily afford it) and got someone with a high max psycology (13) to move in with him.  From then on, my founder went on a kidnapping rampage.  Anyone who the converter failed to convert in time goes to another safehouse to write for the liberal guardian, and anyone else becomes a sleeper.  My sleeper list is now 5 pages long, and includes several radio personalities, news anchors, hanging judges, cultural sleepers...

And the best part is that I haven't received a single raid yet.  My drug dealers are occasionally arrested, but can easily get off with a sleeper lawyer due to the 5 sleeper judges I have.  My founder occasionally fails a kidnapping, but this just results in him going to jail, and he can get off easily, even for mass kidnapping.

However, I've hit a snag.  The CCS has arrived on the scene, and they have managed to make society more tolerant towards their violent ways, and I'm worried their undoing my sleepers' and special editions of the Guardian's good work.  I can't seem to get together a good enough fighting squad (police squad failed, agents seem to be too hard to kidnap since you usually end up being punch in the face) to shut down the first CCS base.  Any advice?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 04:28:12 pm »

Does your founder have a handgun for kidnapping? Even an unloaded one will increase your chances of success dramatically. If you can convert even a single agent, you can use your copious income to finance weapon training for Dancers and Yoga Instructors. Be sure to equip them with automatic weapons -- I believe you can buy some by talking to gang members at crack houses. Your squad may still be in a tough spot without juice, so you may want to consider doing practice raids on the sweatshops or other relatively low-end locations to get their juice up. Eventually you should be able to stand up to the CCS.

One trick with the CCS is to not let them get too powerful. If you let them go too long they'll start attacking your squads as you leave site actions, and even raiding or bombing your safehouses. Additionally, the CCS members you fight will be substantially less well-armed if you fight them early. Once you shut down a safehouse, keep on their back until you've destroyed all three, even if they quiet down for awhile -- a lack of frequent raids on their part just means they're very weak, and will be easier to finish off if you do it quickly.

Edit: Also consider converting a doctor to teach your squad first aid. Even if the person is incapacitated (unable to fight and spamming injury messages), the ability for your entire squad to stop bleeding in their teammates will make sure that person has a good chance of making it out alive to fight another day.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:31:36 pm by Jonathan S. Fox »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 04:34:32 pm »

I just got a team of 6 agents, each armed with their preferred weapon, and went on a rampage at the CCS base.  3 agents lost, but massive casualties inflicted on the CCS, and the base is closed now.  I will get 3 more agents and take on the next base ASAP.

Update: Thanks, merc sleeper, for warning me about the corporate raid.  Everyone escaped.  One person (and 3 sleepers who I didn't really need anyway) was killed.  Guess who?  A hostage.  Good work, mercs.  You killed an innocent conservative.

New update: Base two obliterated, but once again, 2 agents killed and one arrested (probably going to be rehabilitated and lost).  Just need to replenish my squad and then I can finish base 3.  Also, one of my (surviving) agents happens to have 9 medic (as well as 7 pistol), so no need for a doctor.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 05:30:09 pm by Leafsnail »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 05:37:32 pm »

Argh!  It seems that the game crashes just after I've shut down the CCS's third base.  It's done this twice now.  Any advice?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 06:02:22 pm »

Yikes, I don't know what you can do if it's happening consistantly. Can anyone confirm if this is a general problem with crashing when the last CCS base is defeated in the current release?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 07:16:01 pm »

I just had another go, this time without the agent in my squad who was stuck with the "carrying someone" purple +H thing.  It worked this time without crashing, although I can't say I know why.  It may be a more general glitch to do with someone who is stuck carrying someone freezing after an attack.

Incidentally, this attack is actually more successful than the other three, in that none of my agents died during it.  They all, however, sustained injuries.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 07:18:30 pm »

It's extremely likely to do with the odd hostage. This is a common issue that I still don't know the root cause of. :(

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 07:23:59 pm »

It wasn't a hostage, I think it was the fallen body of a comrade in a previous attack.  Still, the CCS is now obliterated.  I think.  I was expecting some kind of announcement, heh.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 08:38:15 pm »

It needs an announcement -- it also needs to show a meter indicating how your attack is progressing in a siege. Fighting the CCS right now is extremely opaque and player-unfriendly, and requires a degree of luck or outside knowledge of the game to do properly.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 06:11:43 am »

I also wouldn't've known to kidnap a CCS agent in the first place, although I suppose I might've eventually stumbled across a merc.

Do the Leninists activate yet, by the way?

EDIT: Woo!  Elite liberal president and 8 more L+ senators (-5 C+, -3 C)!  Now the vetos will go the other way.

And congress is... interesting.

C+: -9
C: -82
m: -22
L: -3 (yup, even the Liberal party lost seats)
L+: +116

So now 183 L+ out of a 435 seat house.  The L/ L+ alliance ought to massacre all remaining conservative laws, and hopefully make a start on the moderates.  Also got my first ever L+ law - Women's Rights.  Never actively did anything about them, but whatever.

Woah.  Also, all 6 liberal propositions passed with over 80% support.  Looks like I'm actually going to win this one.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 06:33:52 am by Leafsnail »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 10:30:41 am »

Also, is there any way of seeing when elections/ propositions are happening?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 11:39:44 am »

Elections are in November.

Propositions happen every year.

Congressional Elections happen every 2 years.

Oh, and the Stalinists aren't in the game yet. It's in the next version if/when it comes out. I don't have time to test it right now.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 04:16:05 pm »

I'm glad to see that Squad "Herb Patrol" worked for somebody. I'll definitely keep using it then.

Good job!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 05:05:56 pm »

Well, they just provide the financial support.  109 kidnappings - 6 pages of sleepers and rising ;D.
Pages: 1 [2] 3