Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Urist McMayor has been re-elected!  (Read 1653 times)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urist McMayor has been re-elected!
« on: August 10, 2009, 01:50:00 am »

I've had the same mayor be re-elected since day one of mayor-ship.

its been 6 years and about 8 elections.
is this normal?
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McMayor has been re-elected!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 01:57:26 am »

Yea, the first mayor (which is usually your expedition leader, unless he/she dies before that point) is often re-elected mayor for many years.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 02:58:19 am »

last time it only happened 3 times in a row.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 03:08:50 am »

In the modern US, senators sometimes get re-elected for decades, so I don't find it particularly odd.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 07:04:47 am »

I have no idea what determines the popularity, but often times the first one seems to sort of retire from mayor after a long while. Sometimes they get elected again for brief periods though.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 07:17:01 am »

I bet it's the social skills and the number of friends that determines who gets elected. That would at least make sense.
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 08:43:54 am »

I bet it's the social skills and the number of friends that determines who gets elected. That would at least make sense.

i *believe* it is, yes. i just had my manager/broker take over as mayor, after 8 years of the expedition leader as mayor. reason? manager had chatted to a buttload of dwarves in dealing with their job allocation complaints etc...expedition leader was holed up mainly cranking out mechanisms, and talking solely to the manager. i imagined it that erion (first mayor) had being briefing loki (manager) to take over the reins of power when he decided.

In the modern US, senators sometimes get re-elected for decades, so I don't find it particularly odd.

i like thinking that you compare a dwarven fortress with the US senate....

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 02:39:45 pm »

I've had one mayor for almost 10 years before. I'm pretty sure the election is only once a year though, during early summer.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 02:45:23 pm »

That always happened to me until I started making meeting areas and having no-job peasants. They build up social skills while they mayor works and thus surpass him.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 06:10:30 pm »

my trader just took over from the exp. leader.

dude wants large gems made. i told him "wtf, i can't make those easily."

then he wanted 3 plate mails. i made 3 copper ones, and threw them out right away. dumbass.

just now the dwarf caravan showed up. during the pause, i moved some high-quality adamantine bolts i made just for them. halfway to my depot, the mayor says "oh wait! no adamantine stuff going out."

FFFFFFUUUUUUU and i can't kill him b/c he's my trader. god i hate dwarves with rare demands.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 06:14:39 pm »

is this normal?

Are you asking if it's "normal" or "typical"?  Yes and no, respectively.

As APC points out, mayors have a skill set and qualitifications (mass amounts of friends) that they don't always get to increase very much - so they can get re-elected, or not, depending entirely on the fortress social situation and other dwarves.

and i can't kill him b/c he's my trader.

You don't have backups? One trade session will get you another one - I always make a backup from a migrant with the first elf trade session, since they bring so little of value to me anyway.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:17:25 pm by Albedo »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 09:27:00 pm »

*replying without reading the thread*

The mayor does nothing but manage the stuff that a mayor does all day. Thus the mayor is best qualified for the job. If you assign dwarves to positions you will see "relevant skills" in a list as you select them.

If you give your dwarves a zoo and rooms focused around finely crafted furniture (like that awesome petrified wood table in the middle of the dining room) they will go there and start parties. So they will be happy and gain social skills. Your major will get competition and might be voted off.

If your dwarves are busy working and dying that's a different story. Urist McFisherman might be able to tell a carp from a cod but when it comes to forming sentences he'll just stare at the liaison and try to offer him some raw fish.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 12:54:35 am »

Unless my Mayor is essential to his particular area of expertise he generally has no jobs during his term. I maintain full time noble/administrators (one clerk, one trader, one manager, one architect; I really like the colour purple you see and to maximize the amount of different job titles) who are devoted fully to their assigned noble/administrative duties so it seems natural that my mayor devote fully to his.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 03:03:29 am »

In one of my forts, my mayor for seven years was pretty much responsible for the entire architectural wealth of my fort. He was my only legendary engraver, and all the engravings on all the floors and walls were his.

Also he had plenty of time to party, which meant he had ludicrously high social skills.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 06:50:17 am »

Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Pages: [1] 2