Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Running DF Utilities under Wine/Crossover on Mac  (Read 1629 times)

Rozen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Running DF Utilities under Wine/Crossover on Mac
« on: August 10, 2009, 01:31:46 am »

So I love DF, but after trying MacForeman I really can't go without a management utility. And, after trying 40d12 I really can't go without resizable windows and zooming out (I'm a design fiend).

Sadly, these two awesome programs do not work with each other, but I understand the Windows versions of these do. So, has anyone had any luck getting DF 40d12 and the DF Foreman / Therapist or DUtil working under Wine or Crossover? As a last resort I'll use Boot Camp but I hate to lose my Mac environment.

I've given it a go already and DF will run just fine, but Dwarf Foreman will not recognize Dwarf Fortress as running and Dwarf Therapist And Dutil just don't start.

Yes, I'm sure everyone is sensing exactly how tragic my situation is, not sure how I can go on  ::) But, if anyone has actually got this to work, I may stick with it a little longer.

Thanks!

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Running DF Utilities under Wine/Crossover on Mac
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 04:18:00 am »

I doubt it'll work, since the kind of things those programs do (i.e., hook up into another program's memory and edit it) are probably not done the same way in Mac OS as in Windows. In all likelihood, the protections for process memory are completely different.

Then again, I could be wrong, since I haven't worked with a mac since the Apple II when I was a kid.

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:02:11 am »

I doubt it'll work, since the kind of things those programs do (i.e., hook up into another program's memory and edit it) are probably not done the same way in Mac OS as in Windows. In all likelihood, the protections for process memory are completely different.

Then again, I could be wrong, since I haven't worked with a mac since the Apple II when I was a kid.

That's right. A Windows program running through Wine won't be able to find the Mac or Linux version of DF, and therefore won't work. This even happens in Windows- reveal.exe only works with XP, and it had to be modified into reveal2 to work with Vista/7. 
Speculation: I'm not sure what would happen if you used Wine to run both DF and the utility you want. It would depend on how Wine works.

jupotter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 10:00:21 am »

Speculation: I'm not sure what would happen if you used Wine to run both DF and the utility you want. It would depend on how Wine works.
I can tell that Visual Fortress work rather well on wine, if you use window's DF. But Dwarf Manager don't. It seem to depend on the utility you use

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 05:50:30 pm »

I think it would work if you used crossover.  That's what I used to do.  I'm not sure if they both have to be in the same bottle.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Rozen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 03:23:52 pm »

I had no luck with crossover. I think it was having problems getting the dll files to load. Same with Wine (well, winehelper)...

blackus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 09:26:12 am »

I'm currently trying to get Dwarf Therapist and Dwarf Fortress under wine working.

I use the windows versions of both programs and they both run. Therapist will even load my dwarfs from a running game. However, the fonts aren't displayed correctly.

I installed corefonts with winetricks and even installed a seperate version of Qt, still no luck.

Anyone got any ideas?

[edit] I'm running wine under linux but I don't think that matters.

[edit] It seems all Qt programs have problems displaying text, even the official demos.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 10:15:08 am by blackus »

blackus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 12:04:39 am »

Search and you will find: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.wine.user/43673.

There's a thread describing the issue and solving it by putting 'ME' as Windows version.

You'll have to install vcrun2008 using winetricks to get Dwarf Therapist running which requires 'Windows XP' though, but you can easily switch back afterwards.

Therapist is connecting fine and everything seems to be running smoothly.