Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Female beards  (Read 4246 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Female beards
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2009, 04:53:44 am »

It's not so much that they're not burdened.

It's like it's not an issue for them at all.

Pop one out, cancel job, pick it up, start job.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2009, 12:00:38 pm »

Whooooaaaa.  I did not mean to start a big debate or anything.  I was just being kinda silly.  Honest.

Re: Re: Ethnocentricity:  Yes, all races are ethnocentric.  It's very difficult not to be when surrounded by different ethnic groups.  Each race will obviously think their own way is best - that's why they do it their way, after all.  But yes, Dwarves are incredibly vocal about it.  Elves are vocal, too, but usually in a snooty, down-the-nose sort of way.  Dwarves are vocal about it in a loud, brash, in-your-face kind of way.  But I think that was covered already.

Re: Beards:  Yes, I'm fully aware that Dwarves are associated with beards (and, in some cases, that beards are associated with Dwarves).  However, that doesn't mean that the "usual" Dwarven beard is the one that they all have.  I see Dwarves as having a wide variety of beard styles, including some that involve rigourous shaving or trimming.  ... I also just see female dwarves spending all that time on the hair on their head, rather than any hair on their chins, which I don't really think they should have anyway.
Beards tl;dr:  Male Dwarves groom their beards because they're often bald on their head.  Female Dwarves groom their hair because they're often bald on their chin.  At least that's (one of) my take(s) on it. =P
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2009, 03:58:11 pm »

I've taken a few days to think about it, and I've decided I prefer beardless female dwarves. 

Not that the alternative is wrong, of course, but I can emphatise more with Urist when his wife isn't sporting a foot long beard.

Now whether male dwarves should be bald in compensation for their lavish beards is another matter entirely!

Qjet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2009, 05:36:37 pm »

If the dwarfs are supposed to be awesome, they should have beards. Intimidating women should suffer from beardism  :D

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2009, 02:16:03 am »

I dont think Women could grow beards. The reason they can have children is the reason they cant get "much" facial hair.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2009, 03:47:31 am »

I dont think Women could grow beards. The reason they can have children is the reason they cant get "much" facial hair.

Um... wombs?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2009, 04:14:27 pm »

Um... wombs?

Yep, don't forget there is no reason we should think dwarves and humans work the same way at all. They could have a different hormonal balance or even different hormones, we don't know.
For my part, when the next version comes out, I'm going to flip a coin. Heads, females can grow beard. Tails, they can't.

Whether they let it grow or not depends on Toady's way of making them "groom their cosmetic layer".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2009, 08:26:33 am »

It's perfectly plausible to conceive of a humanoid (sub)species, even in real life, whose beards grow on either gender with no other change involved. I mean, it could just be like head hair, for instance, growing pretty much by default.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2009, 10:39:44 am »

My objection to female dwarf beards is not on scientific grounds. It's on the grounds that it's an overdone theme. Which was only moderatedly funny in the beggining.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2009, 05:50:16 pm »

It's perfectly plausible to conceive of a humanoid (sub)species, even in real life, whose beards grow on either gender with no other change involved. I mean, it could just be like head hair, for instance, growing pretty much by default.
Planet of the Apes?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2009, 10:28:01 pm »

My objection to female dwarf beards is not on scientific grounds. It's on the grounds that it's an overdone theme. Which was only moderatedly funny in the beggining.

Dwarves being short, or stocky, or craftsmen, etc., is also "overdone". And it's not like dwarven beards are necessarily meant as a vehicle for comedy anyway. If female dwarves have beards, I figure it's because dwarven women are more androgynous than human women.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2009, 11:00:27 pm »

The beards on females make males and females unable to be told apart from each other.  In many ways the dwarves are currently genderless as nobody truely cares about a dwarve's gender.

Removing the beards would give the dwarves more individuality, which can be either positive or negative.

I play in windowed mode normally so it truly doesn't matter to me.

Qjet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2009, 04:18:19 am »

Urist had a beard  :(

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2009, 05:25:07 am »

The beards on females make males and females unable to be told apart from each other.  In many ways the dwarves are currently genderless as nobody truely cares about a dwarve's gender.

Removing the beards would give the dwarves more individuality, which can be either positive or negative.
While dwarves are indeed usually portrayed as genderless, hair is not a limitation for expressing individuality: look what people of all places and ages have done with it.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2009, 07:45:58 am »

I play in windowed mode normally so it truly doesn't matter to me.

It doesn't give them individuality, it gives them gender distinction.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5