Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Hauling skill.  (Read 3200 times)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hauling skill.
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2007, 06:22:00 pm »

Or it could take ages to level.
Mining should probably be nerfed too, it's one of the very few professions that can reach Legendary without fey mood in less than a year.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

mineditall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eccentrix.com/members/kefka
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2007, 06:26:00 pm »

strength and agility
they move faster with agility and strength wont slow them down

hauling skill would give bonuses from 1-3
1 if they haul nothing but rocks all day
3 if they haul anvils all day

weight ranges and price matter also

you wont see a novice person hauling the crown artifact you made
cant haul items such as anvils without better skill
skilled haulers refuse to haul rocks

other things apply

dont just behead, i behemoth!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2007, 07:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mineditall:
<STRONG>

other things apply</STRONG>

Oh sweet baby jebus NO!

I mean, yes, haulers should level up, but by the Spawn of Armok, I don't want to have to retire all of my haulers after a few years of hauling.

[ November 19, 2007: Message edited by: PTTG?? ]

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2007, 07:44:00 pm »

quote:

That would make the game entirely unplayable.
"Hay guys, all our food done rotted cuz Coma Bob is our only low-skill hauler."
"Ruh roh!  We don't have anybody talented enough to carry our countless bins of masterpiece mugs to the trade depot."

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2007, 05:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Len B:
<STRONG>

OMG that's awesome.  I must make pumps from iron too!</STRONG>

No, no, no! It's not "iron pumps", it's "pumping iron".

You need a channel of molten iron to pump.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2007, 05:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by qalnor:
<STRONG>Well, I don't think it's fair to say that there is no skill involved in moving objects around, because there certainly is. That having been said, the distance between being a novice and being a master of hauling is not the same as the distance between being a novice in more skilled fields and being a master in them.
</STRONG>

I dunno... Have you seen a professional hauler handle a grand piano? It takes a couple of years of hauling before you can do that.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2007, 01:49:00 pm »

quote:
All of my haulers are given the pump operator labor. I have a room full of wooden pumps attached to nothing in particular. When they're idle and not hauling stuff, they're pumping iron to raise their stats.

I think that dwarves should get tougher from opening and closing those ROCK DOORS all the time.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2007, 06:15:00 pm »

Potential exploit: hauling circle between 3 stockpiles for easy levelling. Of course, this might be okay, since that dwarf isn't doing anything useful meanwhile, and you can sorta do this with a pump gym already.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2007, 05:31:00 am »

Ummm, I don't think this needs a skill. Cause, if he hauls too long, he gains agility,strongness and maybe toughness. So, he can be max unbelievably agile you say. But thats not true. DF just runs out of titles, they still improve.
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2007, 05:48:00 am »

And why is that bad?

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2007, 05:49:00 am »

What is bad?
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2007, 06:05:00 am »

You insinuated that a hauler gaining attributes was bad.

Kholint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2007, 10:56:00 am »

There's a reason why real life hauling jobs are paid minimum wage.

DamnedChoir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2007, 03:06:00 pm »

To all of you who thinks hauling takes no work and doesn't improve your attributes, try actually doing it for a day and see how you feel at the end.

The 'Hauling' skill could be called 'Teamster' instead. Wheelbarrows and carts could assist Teamsters. Teamster is definitely a skill that requires co-operation, has levels of expertise, and will increase all three attributes in time. (Hell, if  swimming can be legendary, why not Hauling?)

In such a case, 'Legendary Teamster' seems a lot more fitting, and actually makes sense. They have Teamster unions RL, hell, your big burly dwarves could go on strike if they don't think they're getting enough benefits.  ;)

The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2007, 04:34:00 pm »

New skill, Hauling.

Gain 10 XP (same as mining a tile) for each completed hauling job, irregardless of what was hauled or how far.  Advancement of Hauling does not apply to any title, i.e. an Adept Hauler is still considered a Peasant if lacking other skills.  Skilled Hauling shaves a fraction off the amount a dwarf is slowed by the weight of his/her burden.

It'd be kinda nice to XP up some of the lifers in my hauling gang, but of little affect on overall gameplay.  Having nearly every single dwarf with some Dabbling Hauler skill might annoy me.  The Dabbling skill level offends my sensibilities a little.  Hah.

Otherwise an invisible (non-skill related) XP gain for completing a successful hauling job would serve just as well, since logically hauling ore every day for 4+ years should have toughened my dwarves at least as much as my Extremely Strong, Extremely Tough Master Weaver.  However, our schist loom is surely a workout in all fairness.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4