Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting with 1 Dwarf  (Read 615 times)

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting with 1 Dwarf
« on: August 09, 2009, 05:33:03 pm »

I want to try playing a fortress with one sole dwarf/human (haven't decided yet) and I don't want to have to deal with killing off 6 other dwarves (I have tried too many forts and hand no luck in keeping the last dwarf sane.) Is there any way I can modify the raws to allow this? I saw in another topic about making no immigrants or caravans from your race, but I want it to the point where there it's one man against the world.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 05:58:32 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:16:53 pm by Stany »

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Starting with 1 Dwarf
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 05:59:30 pm »

Just a one man embark, which is...
IMPOSSIBLE

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 05:59:57 pm »

Short Answer: There are no raw settings that can do what you ask, but you can try Gibbed's Dwarf Fortress Tweak if it bothers you that much.

Long Answer: I believe that all 7 starting dwarves are spontaneously generated on the spot, and nothing short of the complete annihilation of dwarves can prevent you from bringing all 7 of them with you. It is possible, however, to alter the number of starting dwarves with Gibbed's Dwarf Fortress Tweak. But while there are no problems with adding dwarves, I remember reading that there may be issues when the number is reduced below 7. The newest version doesn't support any of the 40d# series, but there is a version on there that has the offsets for vanilla 40d. So if you want to try it anyway, all you have to do is just download 40d and use that to embark.

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 06:01:59 pm »

Your best bet is to choose the least sociable dwarf to survive ( press V when looking at them in embark menu) and hope he can keep away from all the other dwarfs long enough.

One way to do this might be to make one of the guys a super-skilled craftsman and make him make a whole bunch of well made furniture, to offset all the negative thoughts generated by their deaths.

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 06:07:29 pm »

Dang. I would try that tweak, but I can never get any tweaks or programs running. I guess I'll have to keep trying to kill off my dwarves. Thanks.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 10:16:01 pm »

Yeah, the biggest problem with the hermit challenge is getting rid of the other 6.

Are you in an evil area? You could draft the other six and send them to kill, I dunno, an ogre or something.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 10:37:18 pm »

or better yet, skeletal elephants, ala Urist ;)
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.