Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Legendary dwarves still own coins  (Read 697 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
[40d] Legendary dwarves still own coins
« on: August 09, 2009, 12:36:20 am »

Not sure if this is a bug, but it does seem counterintuitive. Out of the 275 dwarves in my fortress, nearly a hundred of them are legendary and are thus no longer bound by the economy, but they still keep gold/silver/copper coins stored in their chests (or strewn about the fortress), preventing them from storing their other possessions. Since they no longer need to spend money, I'd expect them to return their coins to the vault so others can use them (or so I can melt/atomsmash the damn things and boost my FPS a bit).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Legendary dwarves still own coins
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 03:28:11 am »

This is why most people turn of the economy.

It causes problems.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 09:46:37 pm »

Since they no longer need to spend money, I'd expect them to return their coins to the vault so others can use them (or so I can melt/atomsmash the damn things and boost my FPS a bit).
Actually, it makes some sense if you think about it.  They may have infinite credit in your fortress, but what if the fortress collapses?  They'd like to have a stash of hard currency so they can immediately buy themselves a comfortable spot in another city if the player screws up.

That would also explain why the ordinary dwarves are maniacal about maintaining personal custody of the full weight of coin to which they are entitled.  Even when the economy works fine based just on credit.

There are humans like this in the modern world, and they think the rest of us are crazy....

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 12:50:25 am »

Since they no longer need to spend money, I'd expect them to return their coins to the vault so others can use them (or so I can melt/atomsmash the damn things and boost my FPS a bit).
Actually, it makes some sense if you think about it.  They may have infinite credit in your fortress, but what if the fortress collapses?  They'd like to have a stash of hard currency so they can immediately buy themselves a comfortable spot in another city if the player screws up.

That would also explain why the ordinary dwarves are maniacal about maintaining personal custody of the full weight of coin to which they are entitled.  Even when the economy works fine based just on credit.

There are humans like this in the modern world, and they think the rest of us are crazy....
What if the fortress collapses? You mean when it collapses.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 04:27:47 am »

What if the fortress collapses? You mean when it collapses.

Correction: "When it collapses, if they somehow manage to survive the terror, awesomeness, and Fun".
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.