Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What was different about the 2D version?  (Read 1875 times)

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What was different about the 2D version?
« on: August 08, 2009, 10:45:50 pm »

I started playing DF from 40d, so I've missed out on all this "2D" jazz. Apparently, it was quite different? (I don't mean the lack of a dimension).

Apparently the 2D version had more in some aspects, such as more nobles and equipment for humanoid creatures (batmen riding bats and using blowguns).

Does anyone know more about 2D? Can you share your experiences?

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What was different about the 2D version?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 11:03:47 pm »

Well I'm sure some of it may return very soon, batmen riding bats and using blowguns that is.

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 11:51:37 pm »

There was quite a bit more underground diversity. You could have ambushes out of wells, the underground river, the chasm, or the lava. The river overflowed at least once a year and would grow trees on its banks. You needed to irrigate your soil before you could plant on it.

off the top of my head.

Oh ya, and if you had a pumping mistake instead of flooding your local construction, you flooded all the usable space in the map.

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 12:18:06 am »

yeah the map was also pretty much the same regardless of location. i miss the magma rivers and definitely the endless raids from the chasm and river. the nobles didn't do anything though, that i don't want to come back. the dungeon master was the only noble worth anything.

overall though it had a primitive charm. Elephants were always a problem though, and to a certain degree the dwarves themselves acted more insane.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 01:09:16 am »

Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 02:07:34 am »

The newer versions are better in just about every way, except that it's much harder to find all the features that you were guaranteed in the 2d version.  I miss always having a cave river, chasm, magma, sand, tons of ore, and HFS.
You have struck Microcline!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 02:14:08 am »

Yeah, the 2D map had guaranteed features, and (dare I say) more linear play.  But it also had no constructions, and shit-tons more Nobles.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 02:29:26 am »

As someone who still plays the 2D version, I'd recommend downloading it. It's still on the main download page.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 02:34:57 am »

It also had caveins. Don't dig out 7x7 rooms; leave a pillar every 6 tiles.

The current system is a placeholder, because the existing one didn't translate into 3D too well.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 03:01:45 am »

The newer versions are better in just about every way, except that it's much harder to find all the features that you were guaranteed in the 2d version.  I miss always having a cave river, chasm, magma, sand, tons of ore, and HFS.

This.

I miss all that.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 03:05:24 am »

Yes, I would appreciate seeing 3D magma rivers. It's already on the to-do though.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 11:20:31 am »

the 2D version was also significantly more difficult. 

*You couldn't farm at all during the winter, which meant that unless you were fast you would get no farming at all for the first year.

*The magma was very far from the surface, which made it a stratigic desision to build an infrastructure early or late.  Build early and your workers can quickly access your farms, but often cancel for lunch before they even reach the forges, build late and the food from the farms will often rot before it makes it all the way into the fortress.

*If you dug something out, you couldn't refill it.  A single misdug tile would horribly mess up any large digging project.  Sure you could block it with a door, but a tantrumming dwarf could destroy the door at an inopportune moment.

* There were permafloods, if an artificial water flood struck a natural water source it would become permanent with no reasonable way to remove it.  Many players actually put emergency channels around their fortress for that reason even when they were nowhere near water.

* The cave river flooded every year washing dwarves anywhere near it downriver.  Particularly dangerous since there was no way around the cave river. You were REQUIRED to build a bridge over it.  And anybody crossing it was at risk.  There was no swimming skill.  It was so dangerous that there were multiple designs to reduce casualty counts with specially designed bridge systems.  But even those weren't 100% safety.

* The cave river, chasm, and lava river spawned critters in ambush mode, often large groups.  While the critters themselves weren't very powerful, like the cave river you were required to build a bridge over them, and civilian traffic was often heavy.  You needed to either micromanage your militarty to always have soldiers guarding the features or accept a few civilian casualties every now and then.  Wells would also have a side effect of spawning cave river creatures.

Spoiler: HFS (click to show/hide)

* No forbidding objects.  If there was a sock in the middle of a goblin seige you can bet your dwarves will charge singlemindedly at it.  And there wasn't a damn thing you could do other than hope they don't get shot while entrance dancing.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 11:22:48 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 01:04:38 pm »

The fact that you were forced to bridge the river/chasm/magma is the reason many of us really want to see tunneling enemies in the 3d version.  When you can just dig down with nothing attacking you from within, how else are you going to be threatened?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 02:10:03 pm »

I think flooding rivers would be a nice reintroduction.  They could burst their banks onto "floodplain" squares, which could wash dwarves away if you aren't careful.

And yes, tunnelling enemies would be awesome too.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 03:54:25 pm »

Permafloods were fun, they came from the fact that floods were created by having water in a channel go to through an open floodgate which would turn it into flood water, this would spread until there was no where else for it to go (It would be stopped by doors and turn into channel water when it hit a channel halting it from spreading. When you closed the floodgate it would close the water source, that game would check for any other water sources and if none were found it would generate an anti flood which would act like a normal flood only removing water instead of creating it. Permafloods were caused by a flood hitting a natural water source like the cave river and thus preventing the creation of an antiflood. Other differences. Cave ins would occur if there was a 7x7 open area without pillars. Crafting was lumped into one on the labour designations but the skills were separate (IIRC). Magma could be poured into the cavern to create a red line down the middle and stop critter attacks from it. You would get your first blacksmith and anvil in the autumn (fall for Americans) of your first year, he would turn up regardless of what you chose at embark and sometimes he would bring pets or family with him.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: [1] 2