Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Your worst/hilarious modding disasters.  (Read 4585 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Your worst/hilarious modding disasters.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 04:17:23 pm »

Take Giant Cave Spiders, give them venom the temperature of a spirit of fire.  Behold the Giant Lava Spider (inspired by a uncommon wurm online mob).

Their venom however, did nothing when injected and they ended up being basically just weaker Giant Cave Spiders, and I ended up keeping them in without changing the venom due to laziness.

Cut to fortress mode after a few years ingame.  The first three wagons appear fine and dandy, but when the fourth one appears it detonates spectacularly setting the dry grass in the essentially flat featureless plain on fire.  When the flames reached the other wagons (which drove straight into the flames for unknown reasons) they also explode into a fireball of boiling booze and everything aboveground turns into an ashen wasteland as the shockwave of flaming grass engulfs the area. 

I hypothesized that a barrel of giant lava spider antivenin set off the booze on the wagon starting the catastrophe.  But the good news is, a couple kobolds got roasted, and after a few months to let the fires burn out I got lots of free iron. :D
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 12:44:49 am »

Take Giant Cave Spiders, give them venom the temperature of a spirit of fire.  Behold the Giant Lava Spider (inspired by a uncommon wurm online mob).

Their venom however, did nothing when injected and they ended up being basically just weaker Giant Cave Spiders, and I ended up keeping them in without changing the venom due to laziness.

Cut to fortress mode after a few years ingame.  The first three wagons appear fine and dandy, but when the fourth one appears it detonates spectacularly setting the dry grass in the essentially flat featureless plain on fire.  When the flames reached the other wagons (which drove straight into the flames for unknown reasons) they also explode into a fireball of boiling booze and everything aboveground turns into an ashen wasteland as the shockwave of flaming grass engulfs the area. 

I hypothesized that a barrel of giant lava spider antivenin set off the booze on the wagon starting the catastrophe.  But the good news is, a couple kobolds got roasted, and after a few months to let the fires burn out I got lots of free iron. :D

This is awesome.
You should've given them dragonbreath though.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 03:29:49 am »

Sadly venom is not really "injected" yet, but I think that antivenin may be of the same temperature, thus it leads to funny trading accidents.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 07:17:57 am »

I thought I'd limit myself to around 12 dwarves or so until I decided how I wanted to set things up this time around, but then I decided I wanted to build a line of crystal glass windows through my living area near an underground river and then channel out the area behind so the dwarves could look out the windows and watch the turtles and fish.  of course having only my 7 starting dwarves I felt too lazy to dedicate time to the actual MAKING of said windows, even though I had the raw materials on hand.  as per tradition whenever I decide to introduce an unfamiliar mod into the game I goofed up in moding in free windows to the reaction raws.

what I got was (description: this is a window) a window that is worth 25* and weighs a whopping 1436477£!  I've since decided to use up some gemstones to make the windows but "waste not, want not" I figured out that hauling the things to the dump would give me super-strong dwarves, so it's not a total waste :)

as an object lesson, could anyone correct the mod line I came up with? not that I need it, but at least I'll have the oportunity to make a different mistake next time ;)
[PRODUCT:100:5:WINDOW:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS:GLASS_CRYSTAL]

side note:  the windows seem to change colors as they're being carried corresponding to other opbects or some such that are visible on the same z-level.  sometimes they're white, then I saw a batch of purple ones, then a few green ones and now while others are carrying blue chairs around the windows turned blue.  huh.  maybe I'll install them after all just to see what color they are when built :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 07:27:29 am by Wood Gnome »
cause of unexplainable mischief

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 07:56:10 am »

That's the issue with modded items. They always come out like that. Strange, because it was just crystal glass. Also, hauling doesn't give stat gains.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 08:08:41 am »

That's the issue with modded items. They always come out like that.
That's the issue with wrong modded items. They always come out like that if you do something wrong. :)

In this case windows were made out of <nothing>, by this I mean they had no material specified. Thus they had weird weight and had no color (which led to "chameleon" behaviour).

You used wrong tokens. You have [PRODUCT:100:5:WINDOW:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS:GLASS_CRYSTAL] while it should be:

[PRODUCT:100:5:WINDOW:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_GREEN:LARGE_GREEN_GLASS]

or

[PRODUCT:100:5:WINDOW:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_CLEAR:LARGE_CLEAR_GLASS]

or

[PRODUCT:100:5:WINDOW:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_CRYSTAL:LARGE_CRYSTAL_GLASS]

Reference used: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=18979.0
Search field does wonders :).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:13:06 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 09:26:44 am »

thanks :) the forums are so extensive that I usually find myself browsing the wiki first and then just trying things out on my own, which is how I learned how to do stone blocks when I just couldn't wait for my mason to turn them out fast enough for my last surprise brainfart project.

I totally missed out on the LARGE_ part in the last bit, thanks again  ;D
cause of unexplainable mischief

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 10:04:06 am »

Yeah, and also you forgot the glass type, all three types of glass are considered to be different materials.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 07:50:39 pm »

Ok, m new greatest screw up. The gremlin civilisation. in fact, there's loads of them. They wiped out most of the rest of the world.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 08:51:26 pm »

Somewhere in my raws, something is messed up to the point where various vermin have religions. My turtles worship the god of muck, while the monarch butterflies worship the god of rainbows. It doesn't affect gameplay at all. It only shows up in legends mode.

These aren't gods of butterflies and turtles. They are gods that are turtles or butterflies. They'll usually be in the middle of other dwarf or human gods and are worshipped by those civs.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 09:01:04 pm »

Creatures... Can... Freeze... Noted.

I was thinking about having a cat ice age, so I didn't have to kill all my dwarves in the process of ridding my self of them XD.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 09:20:30 pm »

Ok, m new greatest screw up. The gremlin civilisation. in fact, there's loads of them. They wiped out most of the rest of the world.
Check your errorlog. I think this phrase should be written on the Bay12games banner. >.<
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 11:55:01 pm »

holy shit that happened to me too!
..right after I downloaded the popular orc mod..
come to think of it, that mod caused my boiling leather problems too...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 02:49:03 am »

If you download any mod, check possible errors/install instructions, and there're no problems then :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 03:05:13 am »

holy shit that happened to me too!
..right after I downloaded the popular orc mod..
come to think of it, that mod caused my boiling leather problems too...

Probably means you forgot to belete your objects folder.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4