Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: quick question 4 underground rivers/lakes  (Read 551 times)

Fsoul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
quick question 4 underground rivers/lakes
« on: August 08, 2009, 08:24:33 pm »

ive looked on wiki and searched here but i cant find my answer

long story short... when you hit an undergrund water source do you get some kind of message saying so?? and what qualifies as breaching/discovering an underground water source.... long story =  read on

im almost 100% noob with only one tutorial fort under my belt, and decided to make a new fort.

well i get my stuff going digging n what not and i hit a damp wall a few z levels undergound, i looked up a z level n its not the bottom of a lake so i begin digging around it... its HUGE. i find that the z level i hit it on is the top level and it goes about 5 z deep.

while writing this ive come to the conclusion that its probably just a chunk of aquifer, however i would still like an answer to my original question.

Thanx for the help

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: quick question 4 underground rivers/lakes
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 09:05:36 pm »

If it's long and thin, then it's a UG River.

If it's sort of blobby and circular shaped, then it's a UG Pool.

If it's gigantic and entirely fills up only a single type of rock (say Sandstone), then it's an Aquifer (although Aquifers are noted on the Embark screen if you pay attention.)

Dig up above it, dig over into the damp stone area, then dig stairwells down until you hit it, if it's a UG River or Pool you'll get a little box popping up notifying you of it's discovery. If it's an Aquifer you'll just get a hole that fills up with water.

Venatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 09:27:29 pm »

If it's an Aquifer you'll just get a hole that fills up with water.

Alarmingly quickly. And, if digging up/down with stairs, no damp stone warning. And an entire mining complex that has to be sealed off. And water movement lag up the wazoo.

Who, me? BitteR?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:48:31 pm »

If it's an Aquifer you'll just get a hole that fills up with water.

Alarmingly quickly. And, if digging up/down with stairs, no damp stone warning. And an entire mining complex that has to be sealed off. And water movement lag up the wazoo.

Who, me? BitteR?

That's why you dig up above it and then dig down into it. Aquifers aren't pressurised, so all you end up with is a small hole full of water.

I did once dig up into an Aquifer, but due to a bit of luck all i ended up with was a nice waterfall.

If it's a UG River though, be careful; it's possible it may be pressurised and will rapidly flood the fort. I usually dig exploratory shafts into potential UG Rivers from the surface of the map to avoid this.