Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mandates. How I love thee.  (Read 1405 times)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Mandates. How I love thee.
« on: August 08, 2009, 06:47:57 pm »

Let me count the ways: one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Mandates. How I love thee.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 06:51:13 pm »

Lulz.

My first (EVER) mandate was from my Mayor to make 2 Adamantium weapons. It was... not quite two years into the fortress. As soon as he got elected, BAM. Mandate.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ELECT A MAYOR THAT LOVES ADAMANTINE!!
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 07:28:47 pm »

Lulz.

My first (EVER) mandate was from my Mayor to make 2 Adamantium weapons. It was... not quite two years into the fortress. As soon as he got elected, BAM. Mandate.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ELECT A MAYOR THAT LOVES ADAMANTINE!!

That's when you go BAM! Atom smasher!  ;D

I'd have suggested magma, but it doesn't have the same BAM sound.
Disclaimer: DeathOfRats is not responsible for the loss of valuable dwarves if his advice is followed.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 07:30:21 pm »

Mayors, valuable?  Not particularly.  I'm only not killing off Mafol because she's also one of the First Seven.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 08:21:18 pm »

Depends on who's been elected mayor this time. I've had a couple times when my only legendary <insert halfway valuable profession> was mayor, so I'd have hesitated a bit before atomizing him.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 06:36:36 pm »

Depends on who's been elected mayor this time. I've had a couple times when my only legendary <insert halfway valuable profession> was mayor, so I'd have hesitated a bit before atomizing him.

Is it possible to get a child Mayor? I know that you can get a child King through worldgen.
This occurred to me because children often have the most social skills, from sitting around not working and talking to people.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 08:41:33 pm »

i think to work for the player, a child needs to become an adult to be a candidate.

one question that's been on my mind is if you have a fortress full of great socials, do they each comfort each other? or is it only up to nobles to hold meetings with the dwarves to make them feel better?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 09:18:44 pm »

If you be what you mean "hold meetings" is actually everyone laugh as the child pulls the lever connected to the support holding up the rally stage then yes that is a nobles job why else would most of them get legendary toughness if not to survive countless falls for the public's amusement.
Nom nom nom

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 09:57:12 pm »

i think to work for the player, a child needs to become an adult to be a candidate.

one question that's been on my mind is if you have a fortress full of great socials, do they each comfort each other? or is it only up to nobles to hold meetings with the dwarves to make them feel better?

If you count "talked to a friend lately" as comforting, then yes they do  :D.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 10:50:23 pm »

That's when you go BAM! Atom smasher!  ;D

Heh, bit of a tangent, but I just built my first atom smasher, to deal with the flood of gobbo loot hauling tasks in a low pop fort.

It's made of pitchblende, with lead doors(only doors, as it's sandwiched between existing structures - being an emergency 'smasher and whatnot)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:55:56 pm by Wolfius »

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 11:00:10 pm »

My mayors are my favourite nobles and I feel if they are popular enough to become elected, they should be allowed to order the beating of one of their voters. My mayors inherit a beautiful bedroom, office and dining hall but this is not always enough; anyways, a government sanctioned murder is one of the quickest routes to find Fun.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 11:03:55 pm »

One of my mayors lasted for about seven years and was my only engraver. I suspect he was reelected multiple times because he was solely responsible for the entire architectural value of my fortress.

Also, he only ever mandated Iron items.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 11:06:22 pm »

Thankfuly, humans are more democratic and there are no mandates and their outcomes, a dwarf fortress is more like a communistic hell hole instead of a fortress filled with short people with beards.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 11:38:21 pm »

a dwarf fortress is more like a communistic hell hole instead of a fortress filled with short people with beards.

Don't forget cheese and elephants!
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 11:42:38 pm »

A dwarf fortress is more like a communistic hellhole than a fortress full of midgets with beards and Cheese, elephants, and magma.
Pages: [1] 2