Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d#]On startup full CPU usage, but doesn't start (not even full screen prompt)  (Read 530 times)

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been away from DF for a while, but I came back and now it's not working, even with a fresh install.

When I start Dwarf Fortress.exe nothing seems to happen. No music playing, no window pop up, nothing. I don't even get the 'run in fullscreen mode?' prompt even though I should according to my unmodified init file.  the But the task manager shows 50% CPU usage (it's a dual core CPU) forever until I shut it down.

I used to have d11 or d12, which worked. But those and d13 all don't work anymore. Only the original 40d does, which BTW is launched with a different .exe (might be relevant?) than the recent versions.

I've updated my ATI drivers to 9.7 at some point, could that be related? I do think they mentioned something OpenGL related in the changelog...

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone?

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All that can really be said is that if you have issues with the opengl alphas you should stick with the official releases.
Without any clear problems to work on theres not much people can offer in advice. Some driver have issues with the opengl types.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Try changing init.txt to WINDOWED:YES.  And yeah, your driver update could definitely have had an impact.  You could try rolling back your drivers to the previous version, or sticking with 40d11.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try changing init.txt to WINDOWED:YES.  And yeah, your driver update could definitely have had an impact.  You could try rolling back your drivers to the previous version, or sticking with 40d11.
D11 doesn't work either, only the original 40D does.

Anyway the Ati Catalyst 9.8 Drivers are out. I'm going to install those and if things stay the same I'll just use 40D.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I reccommend ditching all the ATI Catalyst stuff and getting your drivers from
http://www.omegadrivers.net/

The drivers are the same but have more of thier settings tweaked.  They also provide better controls over the driver behavior than Catalyst.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

torne

• Bay Watcher
  • arf arf
    • View Profile

Except the omega drivers haven't been updated in over a year and do not support recent graphics chips (and for those which are supported you are a year behind in bugfixes and updates of the actual code...)