Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Go board game  (Read 4536 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Go board game
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 06:33:00 pm »

Well its the only one i can find and i dont want to download programs until i find one i like. Maybe one with detailed changable settings for difficulties......

Anyway, if i were to play the 4-4, then the 3-4 / 6-5 in another corner, he would jump somewhere in between them...

Of course i suck and can't beat the stupid thing past a 2 handcap on a 9x9 board.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 06:45:10 pm »

Wait, he cuts between you?  That's very unusual play.  If that's his second turn, you could just grab a third corner.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 06:50:46 pm »

no it's his third. He has the other corners. Even if they are only 1 each.

Also, with the 4-4, what's a good way to make a joseki?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 06:55:29 pm »

4-4 standard Joseki - one of the only Josekis I know!

http://senseis.xmp.net/?33PointInvasion

Look at the bit before "advanced variations" and you should be ok (sorry, the page is a mess).  I actually seem to remember an extra move at the end played underneath the left white group, but whatever.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 08:21:14 pm »

O nice, i was just looking at that site.... It was about the B2 Bomber.... It sounded sound, but the writer made me suspect it's a farse. Some clarification please?

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 09:44:44 am »

no it's his third. He has the other corners. Even if they are only 1 each.

Also, with the 4-4, what's a good way to make a joseki?

Assuming I understand what you're saying, it's normal - if you're black (thus taking the first move) then if white allows you to create a large potential area you'll always be one step ahead of his large area (assuming decently good play on both sides of course) so often white will split the side before black can continue.

B2 Bomber is definitely a farce. It's generally poor shape - if it arises from two peeps at a double tiger's mouth connection, one would prefer to resist the second peep if possible.

http://senseis.xmp.net/?33PointInvasion

That's joseki for the 3-3 invasion of the 4-4. For a normal approach, the kite is the simplest. (keima on the opposite side of the approach, white slides to the second line, black blocks at the 3-3, white pulls back with a two-space extension) None of them are going to be perfect in every situation - the reason that different patterns are played by professionals is because the situations at the end of the joseki affect the potential areas on the rest of the board, and thus the strategy of the game. But that's enough to keep you from getting killed or too badly squeezed at the beginner level. :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:01:15 am by corvvs »

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 09:46:06 am »

I usually go 4-4 first, because going 3-4 first lets your opponent start out on the side your 3-4 would have the most effect on. 3-4 is second and then i play the 6-5 follow up but thats when he attacks....right away straight into my territory.

By the way, you should NOT think of that side as your territory - it's not even your moyo (potential area) until you get another stone in between (which is what white is preventing with his play)

EDIT: this is assuming you're talking about a full size game (19x19) and not a 9x9. In a 9x9 the situation is entirely tactical, not strategic at all. So if this split is happening on a small board the computer probably is trying to kill something. Assume it is a predatory attack. Fight back vigorously.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:51:14 am by corvvs »

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 10:05:04 am »

I'm sorry, but Shibumi really put me off Go.  I really, really dislike stuff where people begin to feel like they're masters of the frikkin' universe because they're good at playing one game.

Probably what puts me off CS, too...

Heh, in Go it's the opposite - the better you get the more you see your shortcomings. :P

At least, that's how it works for my roommate, and he's a 2 dan.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 10:17:30 am »

Heh, in Go it's the opposite - the better you get the more you see your shortcomings. :P

That being said, playing against someone who knows what they're doing is a very quick way to learn your mistakes... painfully.

Regarding the computer client, have you tried JagoClient? It's what I've got, and I've gotten some good games out of it (I can battle the comp to a draw on 13x13, but I get trounced on a 19*19 :(). Never had a glitch either.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 03:52:49 pm »

I usually go 4-4 first, because going 3-4 first lets your opponent start out on the side your 3-4 would have the most effect on. 3-4 is second and then i play the 6-5 follow up but thats when he attacks....right away straight into my territory.

By the way, you should NOT think of that side as your territory - it's not even your moyo (potential area) until you get another stone in between (which is what white is preventing with his play)

But its potential moyo, and I'd like to grab every edge i can get.

If it's something downloadable, It has to be a client that lets me fine tune the difficulty of the game.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 04:51:10 pm »

If it's something downloadable, It has to be a client that lets me fine tune the difficulty of the game.

Just get on a go server:
http://www.gokgs.com

If the program you've been playing gives you an estimate of your level, use that as a starting point for the people you should be challenging to games. Otherwise just say "hey, newb here! who wants to play?" or the like in the chat :)

The rating system is designed so that (once the server knows about where to place you) your games should be pretty fair. One rank == one stone difference, so if you play somebody two ranks above you you'll take a two stone handicap (by default - you can change the settings for the game if you want though).

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 04:53:38 pm »

Go is great...

I had found one good AI Go game (I had no internet)... Ayaguchi or something...
I'll look into it.

9x9 was hard enough for me... I never played more than that...

But it's really cool and I always hoped I could get a real set.

btw, Pretty cool site to learn : http://playgo.to/interactive/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 04:55:26 pm by Alexhans »
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 05:21:46 pm »

19x19 boards are intense, and games can last for hours.  You can also lose horribly to a strong player without actually ever losing a skirmish on the board, which is rather strange.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 05:22:00 pm »

Yeh i know the grading system and everything and have been to that site.

I guess i'll try a Go server...Don't think I'll learn much from fighting a computer.

EDIT: I looked at the go server link but it just brought me to a tutorial page I've already completed. Where is the server?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:24:17 pm by Micro102 »

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 06:34:42 pm »

Yeh i know the grading system and everything and have been to that site.

I guess i'll try a Go server...Don't think I'll learn much from fighting a computer.

EDIT: I looked at the go server link but it just brought me to a tutorial page I've already completed. Where is the server?

You went to http://www.gokgs.com and clicked on "Play Go Now!" and it took you to a tutorial page?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5