Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Go board game  (Read 4532 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Go board game
« on: August 08, 2009, 05:54:06 pm »

Well i watched an anime about it and now i like it, but the closest thing i can find to a non-downloadable human vs computer game is this collapsing browser where the computer occasionally glitches making your restart.

Also I have trouble when the computer attacks deep into my territory, I would like to close him in, but that wipes out my territory...Don't know what to do.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Go board game
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 05:56:58 pm »

I'll help, if you like.  I'm on 16 kyu and won the under 12s championship of Britain (there are perks to playing an obscure game :P).  If you're struggling with attacks on your territory, it may be better to play 3-4 point as your starting move, as this is much harder to invade.  4-4 point is still theoretically better, but you need to learn how to use the increased thickness an invasion would give you.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 08:31:28 pm »

I usually go 4-4 first, because going 3-4 first lets your opponent start out on the side your 3-4 would have the most effect on. 3-4 is second and then i play the 6-5 follow up but thats when he attacks....right away straight into my territory.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 06:17:30 am »

Where exactly?  The 3-3 invasion to 4-4 has a nice Joseki, and following it through gives you a lot of thickness to jump out and grab territory (more than your opponent won in the corner, if you do it right).  If your opponent attacks then, then there are still open corners for you to get, and you should snatch em quickly.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 10:03:14 am »

So...... It's like Risk?
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 10:04:41 am »

Erm, no, not really.  It's rather like... hmmm...

Well, in the sense that it's a board game with no element of luck, chess.

Buddybud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 10:50:09 am »

So...... It's like Risk?

Visually its more akin to checkers in that it uses black and white stones (most plastic now) and a checkered board. (64*64?). the board is a uniform color and the stones are placed on the intersections of the lines instead of in the middle. What it has in common with risk is that its essentially a surround control  destroy type game. However the game grows very complex as more tiles are laid on the board. There are literally volumes and volumes of books on various strategy and theory. I played it in my teens and still have the board but haven't played in years. Great game though!!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 11:03:08 am »

64x64?  Wow.  A game played on a 64x64 board would last years...

When you begin, you play on a 9x9 board.  You gradually progress to 13x13 and 19x19 board.  Overall strategy becomes more important on a larger board.

Buddybud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 11:45:02 am »

When you begin, you play on a 9x9 board.  You gradually progress to 13x13 and 19x19 board.  Overall strategy becomes more important on a larger board.

haha i'm an idiot....i just pulled it out and its 18x18.... i just remembered it being significantly bigger than a chess board :P

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 11:53:09 am »

I haven't seen any even numbered boards before, although I suppose you could get them.  The reason is to stop you from just mirroring the other players move...

Buddybud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 11:59:22 am »

haha i'm an idiot....i just pulled it out and its 18x18.... i just remembered it being significantly bigger than a chess board :P

:P i counted the boxes not the intersections!  I'm just confusing things for everyone! haha sorry.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 02:18:10 pm »

I'm sorry, but Shibumi really put me off Go.  I really, really dislike stuff where people begin to feel like they're masters of the frikkin' universe because they're good at playing one game.

Probably what puts me off CS, too...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 03:11:28 pm »

Well, unless you live in Japan you're not going to become a master of the universe at Go.  Over there they become celebraties and join special schools.  Over here I just get the satisfaction of playing.

It's a good game though, with an incredibly deep strategy but very simple rules (more simple than chess, for instance).

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 04:20:01 pm »

If your computer opponent is randomly dropping stones in your territory on his THIRD TURN, you should probably find another program to play against.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 04:21:05 pm »

Yeah, it's not standard play, I'll put it that way.  Where exactly does he try to invade?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5