Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Go board game  (Read 4512 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Go board game
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 06:44:33 pm »

O lol, another link was right below your post so i got mixed up, thanks for the link.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 11:26:29 pm »

............What the hell did you link me too? I can't close the window without closing all my other tabs and i really don't want to do that. The java never loaded, i cant go back for seom reason, and the links don't work.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 01:10:53 am »

If you're looking for a server with buff players (downloaded): http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/

I don't know how good of a beginners section they have, since I started there at ~10k. I can assure you they have some ridiculously strong players there though.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 02:28:06 am »

Rather go with a client one.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 06:17:10 pm »

http://www.361points.com/computergo/#gnugo-9

Someone kill this computer so i know its possible. Record of the game if possible.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 11:47:57 pm »

............What the hell did you link me too? I can't close the window without closing all my other tabs and i really don't want to do that. The java never loaded, i cant go back for seom reason, and the links don't work.

Huh, maybe your java plugin is out of date? Use the download version ("Download the go client and SGF viewer" link on the front page) instead.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2009, 02:56:55 am »

how big of an area would you need inside an opponents territory if you were to make 2 eyes?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2009, 05:09:50 am »

how big of an area would you need inside an opponents territory if you were to make 2 eyes?
A 3-3 invasion will allow you to comfortably live within a 4-4 play, but doing this too early will give your opponent a huge wall to extend from.  Generally it's better early on to just expand your own territory and invade later on.

asper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 05:18:35 am »

Get on www.gokgs.com and add me to your friends list: I'm "ignus". I'm about 1 kyu, and I am always willing to play a game, any time...! I can show you some stuff...

By the way, Toady plays Go as well...  :)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 05:22:09 am »

Get on www.gokgs.com and add me to your friends list: I'm "ignus". I'm about 1 kyu, and I am always willing to play a game, any time...! I can show you some stuff...

By the way, Toady plays Go as well...  :)
Good to hear!  I didn't know anyone else here played.  As I said, it's so obscure here that I managed to snatch a junior championship of the country a few years ago.

asper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2009, 05:38:10 am »

Great! We can also play on www.littlegolem.net. This is an excellent site with a lot of interesting games besides Go (Twixt, Hex). It is turn-based - you have 48 hours per move, which makes it ideal for coffee-breaks. It is a much smaller time-investment than KGS, since you can choose when you'll make your move, and we don't have to be online at the same time.

I have a much weaker rating there though, since I tend to rush though my games and not think at all  :)

(I'm also "ignus" on Little Golem)

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2009, 07:09:37 am »

My roommate just woke up so I asked him. :)

He says the rule of thumb he learned from Yilun Yang (he used to take lessons from a pro) was "if an area is more than 20 points and open (one avenue of escape) you can live inside".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2009, 07:50:24 am »

My roommate just woke up so I asked him. :)

He says the rule of thumb he learned from Yilun Yang (he used to take lessons from a pro) was "if an area is more than 20 points and open (one avenue of escape) you can live inside".
Well, it sortof depends.  Sometimes you can easily live, but there's no point in doing it since your opponent gets a massive wall on the outside to thump you with.  The smallest live group you can possibly get only requires a 2x4 space, but that's only if your opponent is comatose.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2009, 01:05:12 pm »

This game is, well, deep. I did play chess once, and this is certainly completely different. I'll have a lot to learn I guess, and it's rather fun.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2009, 04:57:46 pm »

ok it's a computer, he has a large area inside his wall with a 4x5 rectangle with about 6-8 more spaces scattered next to it. Is there a way to make a living black group? I only needed 5 more moku to win.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5