Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spartan Sparring is fun!  (Read 1392 times)

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spartan Sparring is fun!
« on: August 08, 2009, 03:58:03 pm »

Nude Recruits with Adamantine Spears is fun! Surely the ones who survive(I got one with mangled spine and two pierced lungs, liver and heart in 5 seconds)  will become Spartans!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Spartan Sparring is fun!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 04:25:21 pm »

Hehe, sounds fun. Though the surviver will probably the who goes Žsparring in barr-*going for a drink* sparring in barra *getting some food* sparri- *zzzzz*' while the others bleed to death.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 04:28:31 pm »

2/8 alive none seriously wounded. The barracks are filled with pools of blood and a long trail of blood from the barracks to the room of the victim(who couldn't make it)

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 04:37:39 pm »

Ah, yes... the "Hollywood/Comic Book" application of sparring. 8)
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 04:40:00 pm »

It's a lot more fun using axes or something else other then spears...Instead of just getting punctured and bleeding out, you get to see limbs flying.(Or entire dwarves with hammers)
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 04:46:18 pm »

Make a huge room, with a 4x4 barracks right in the middle. Arm all recruits with adamantine maces.

The contest is to see which one gets whacked the furthest away from the platform.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 04:53:06 pm »

I'll mod my next game to embark with 50-100 dwarves with only steel maces, I'll forbid all their clothes except trousers and capes so they'll have to spar(ta).

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 05:04:33 pm »

You just gave me a new game goal.

I wont leave immigrants to the mercy of the undead.

Instead, IŽll arm them with some hopefully decent weapons, and let them fight it out in some arena IŽll build for that.

Those that survive will become full members of the colony.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 05:10:23 pm »

I'll mod my next game to embark with 50-100 dwarves with only steel maces, I'll forbid all their clothes except trousers and capes so they'll have to spar(ta).

No need to even mod. Pick a location that's dangerous enough, start your fort, abandon, and then reclaim. Last time I did that, I got about 70 dwarves, and the only dangerous thing in the area was a chasm.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 07:23:20 pm »

... actually, I will build a thunderdome. My recruits will spar wrestling, but over a floor full of holes. I havent decided yet whether I will make this a extremedly tall building or a regular sized one over the magma pipe.

How many z levels do you need for falling dwarves to fall into chunks?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 10:54:15 pm »

... actually, I will build a thunderdome. My recruits will spar wrestling, but over a floor full of holes. I havent decided yet whether I will make this a extremedly tall building or a regular sized one over the magma pipe.

Dig a shaft 20 z-levels down. It's not dwarfy if it's not done to excess.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Humberticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 12:07:43 am »

You just gave me a new game goal.

I wont leave immigrants to the mercy of the undead.

Instead, IŽll arm them with some hopefully decent weapons, and let them fight it out in some arena IŽll build for that.

Those that survive will become full members of the colony.

BRILLIANT. Oh my god. Migrants will now fight for their right to live in the fort. You can even station them in a line equidistant from several of the same type of weapon of varying qualities and see them race for the higher quality adamantine sword while others get the wooden ones.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 12:12:42 am »

Bear in mind to use something that kills through criticals rather than raw damage. Because one thing I will tell you: if the sole survivor is a cripple, I guarantee you that his first act as full member of the colony will be to participate in a reenacting of aztec rituals.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 12:32:11 am »

Don't just make the hole a huge drop.  Add spikes at the bottom.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 12:45:22 am »

In my experiences you get chunks somewhere over 7 zlevels but you definitely get them at 10 zlevels. At least that's what I saw for goblins and orcs. At 10 z-levels you got gibs everywhere reliably.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".
Pages: [1] 2