Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do magma-cast'ed interiors count as underground?  (Read 2156 times)

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do magma-cast'ed interiors count as underground?
« on: August 08, 2009, 02:32:33 pm »

I'm contemplating doing a stripmine + magma-cast for a megaproject, and I'm wondering if interiors made using cast obsidian count as underground for plant growing purposes. Does any of you know?

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
Re: Do magma-cast'ed interiors count as underground?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 02:35:34 pm »

I believe it counts as underground, yes.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 02:44:03 pm »

Do you mean the tile at one point will have the Light flag? Because as far as I know (wiki/experience), not even making several layers of obsidian will change it back to Dark (Subterranean can only be paired with the Dark and Inside flags).
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 03:02:58 pm »

I mean, what is going to happen if I strip mine the whole map down to the minimum z-level, and then make a block of obsidian on top and dig inside. Does it count as underground? If it doesn't, I'll have to leave the last z-level more or less intact for tower-cap/underground plant production, and I'd prefer to know of that beforehand.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 03:11:16 pm »

Nothing will change a tile back to Inside Dark Subterranean, which is needed for underground plants, once it has been exposed to light. Only natural walls, stairs, and floors block the Light ray from the roof of the map.

Further Reading

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 03:18:51 pm »

Aha! That's what I wanted to know. I knew constructed walls and floors wouldn't work, but I was unsure about cast obsidian. Thanks for the info and the link!

EDIT: Hmm, that link is very informative. I think I'm going to cast a layer of obsidian along the sky before strip-mining the bottom z-levels. That sounds like it would work, and would still enable me to have a totally obsidian map (save for a sand bearing area, and a patch for aboveground plants). Nifty :D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 03:21:31 pm by DeathOfRats »

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 03:23:13 pm »

Only natural walls, natural stairs, and natural floors block the Light ray from the roof of the map.
Just to clarify, even if you cast obsidian over tiles that are Light, they won't change back. You can only prevent them from changing to Light in the first place (removes subterranean), nothing to be done once they are no longer considered subterranean.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 03:27:41 pm »

Yeah, I noticed that. I took it to mean that I can make a layer of obsidian on top now before removing all those z-levels, and later on remake those levels in obsidian while still keeping them inside. I know it won't make what was the outside before the top layer was done undeground, but the rest should still work, if I'm not wrong.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 11:54:00 pm »

I think I'm going to cast a layer of obsidian along the sky before strip-mining the bottom z-levels.

That deserves quoting.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 11:59:54 pm »

This is an interesting idea - be sure to let us know how it turns out.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 12:19:23 am »

Has anyone ever actually tested whether or not farm obsidian turns an area Subterranean/Dark?
Just curious as to whether we've got proof or if we're still speculating.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 12:45:35 am »

Has anyone ever actually tested whether or not farm obsidian turns an area Subterranean/Dark?
Just curious as to whether we've got proof or if we're still speculating.

It doesn't.

However, he wants to try and cast a layer of farm obsidian befor digging out an area under it for additional casting, with the aim of preventing it from ever losing the Subterranean/Dark tag, which is interesting and, AFAIK, an unknown.

He might have to cast the initial 'cap' layer underground. Prolly not - depends on how the tag propagates and exactly how he does it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:21:53 am by Wolfius »

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 04:00:53 am »

However, he wants to try and cast a layer of farm obsidian befor digging out an area under it for additional casting, with the aim of preventing it from ever losing the Subterranean/Dark tag, which is interesting and, AFAIK, an unknown.

That's it, exactly. However, the wiki says it'll work, so either someone has done it before, or someone was talking out of their ass :P I'm hoping it's the first one.

Anyway, my first attempt went not with a bang, but with a whimper. I forgot that magma evaporates, and the whole expanse of the embark area (which is, IIRC, 5x5) is a tad too much to fill with three pumps.

Instead, I'm now moving towards a slightly more sophisticated design, with a bottom chamber all across the world spanning two z-levels, and then two more levels divided in 5x5 squares connected by throwaway doors (meaning I know they'll melt once I open them. No biggie, I've got economic stone up the wazoo, anyway, with the strip-mining). Each of these rooms will have a 3x3 retractable bridge built in order to release their contents (magma for the first level, water for the second).

If I open all the bridges on the first level at the same time, and once that has settled the bridges on the second, I should have a complete obsidian covering of the sky (except for those annoying five tiles near the borders).

It's going to take a frightening amount of bauxite, between the bridges and the mechanisms (only for the lower level, which will contain magma), but there's plenty in the map, which I'll mine once my miners have reached legendary.

I'll keep you guys posted on how well this goes.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 04:57:41 pm »

Well, I've started prepping the whole pumping system, and training my soldiers so they can take care of the critters in the underground river when I breach it to generate power.

Sadly, this fortress will have to wait for a bit, while I complete another mega-project that I left aside until I'd gotten some more information about how things work. It shouldn't take too long, maybe a week or so.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 09:23:58 pm »

... Actually, you can cast the border of the map, since magma doesn't flow off the edge of the map.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Pages: [1] 2