Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MOD_NEWBIE_QUESTION :)  (Read 625 times)

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MOD_NEWBIE_QUESTION :)
« on: August 08, 2009, 01:25:03 pm »

The only modding I've done so far is in the worldgen files.

To change otherstuff like creature stats, what files do I need to open?  The goblins at my fort don't even try to siege anymore and just walk away after a month, I'd like to make them NO_FEAR

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
Re: MOD_NEWBIE_QUESTION :)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 01:40:56 pm »

to mod goblins to have [NO_FEAR] go into /raw/objects in you df directory and open creature_standard.txt. Under [CREATURE:GOBLIN] just add [NO_FEAR].
By not siege, do you mean they don't turn up or they just mill around near where they entered the map?

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 11:44:38 pm »

The only modding I've done so far is in the worldgen files.

To change otherstuff like creature stats, what files do I need to open?  The goblins at my fort don't even try to siege anymore and just walk away after a month, I'd like to make them NO_FEAR

A good start in the modding game is the modding guide on the DF wiki:
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Modding_guide

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 12:05:04 pm »

to mod goblins to have [NO_FEAR] go into /raw/objects in you df directory and open creature_standard.txt. Under [CREATURE:GOBLIN] just add [NO_FEAR].
By not siege, do you mean they don't turn up or they just mill around near where they entered the map?

Yep, I leave the gates wide open and they do that.  Some even flee immediately (each squad usually brings an elf, which leaves immediately).  Amazingly, the last siege some of them actually approached the fortress.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:33:04 pm »

Ok now that I have a moment to get back to this, another simple question.

What program do you use to open the files in \objects?  The come up as just a generic "File" and don't seem to open right in Word, Wordpad, or Notepad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 07:35:54 pm »

The files in /objects are duplicates of the raw files that have been read by the game (I suppose you could call them "encoded" or perhaps "compiled"). There's no reason to open them - make your changes in the raw files, delete everything in /objects before running the game again (to force the game to reload all the data), and it'll be done.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 08:08:12 pm »

No need to delete the /objects folder. Just regen. Regenning is basically the same thing, but I prefer it as the safer method. Everyone knows that computers run by magic, and I would hate to piss off the machine spirits :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 09:51:26 pm »

Actually you don't have to do either in this case. If you look up to the top of the forum board you will see the stickied post "When do I need to regen", which will tell you everything about when you need to delete data/objects or regen.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 03:03:44 am »

You have to delete OBJECTS only when you remove some compiled files, because every time you launch a DF all of your RAW files are re-compiled, but it's obvious that those which you removed are left unchanged in /data/objects.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository