Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Caravan exploit "not-offical bug"  (Read 1486 times)

kenji_03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Caravan exploit "not-offical bug"
« on: August 08, 2009, 08:20:28 am »

First off I have done my homework. That's listed after the tildes (~).

By deconstructing a trade depot when traders are there, you can obtain all the stuff for free.

Apparently this can also be done by "forbidding" the trade depot.
~~

I have found 3 (A)(B)(C) threads regarding this.  But it is not listed as on the "Official Bug List".  The closest thing to it is #564

000564 □ [dwarf mode][trade]   (Report) forbidden depots cause merchants to act strangely

Bay Watcher: Torak claims this to be a known issue, but since it's not on the official list does it simply mean that it's not an issue that is going to be dealt with?

I'm not trying to whine or complain, but I just want to know if this is something that is going to be thought about in the foreseeable future.  It's not like I, as a player, would be willing to donate some cash specifically to see this fixed or anything ;) but I DO want to know if it's on their list.
     - Kenji_03

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Caravan exploit "not-offical bug"
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 08:26:19 am »

Yep, I believe this is regarded is normal behaviour and not an exploit or bug. To put it simply youve used a more complex version of just stealing thier stuff which is a dwaf fortress staple. In response the caravans will bring lessv aluable goods in the future. Ive heard that they might bring less caravans but most people say this isnt true.
Summary: You just played a part of the game.

kenji_03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 10:01:49 am »

Yep, I believe this is regarded is normal behaviour and not an exploit or bug. To put it simply youve used a more complex version of just stealing thier stuff which is a dwaf fortress staple. In response the caravans will bring lessv aluable goods in the future. Ive heard that they might bring less caravans but most people say this isnt true.
Summary: You just played a part of the game.
your obvious sarcasm aside it defies logic and, as such, I would have to say is an exploit.

If you removed the official building that is identified as our "trading post" people would probably do one of two things A: continue trading at that spot, regardless of the building existing.  or B: pack up their things and go.

It does not make any sense for dwarves, elves, and especially for humans to just say 'well since you are deconstructing our trading post I'll just walk away and leave you all of the goods you haven't paid for".  Again, it seems more logical for them to do option B.  Hence, I still think this is a bug.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 03:03:15 am »

Yeah, I don't think Cryten was being sarcastic, but it is illogical. Having them recognize that they were stolen from (not merely that they lost goods) could be an important piece of framework later, especially for the military arc. if a fortress tried to take all of MY Doritos, I'd run for it rather than give it to them. At that point for certain it may become an exploit.

Anyway, I think Toady (and the general public) is aware of this already.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

kenji_03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 07:16:28 am »

Yeah, I don't think Cryten was being sarcastic, but it is illogical. Having them recognize that they were stolen from (not merely that they lost goods) could be an important piece of framework later, especially for the military arc. if a fortress tried to take all of MY Doritos, I'd run for it rather than give it to them. At that point for certain it may become an exploit.

so to make sure I understand this correctly  "It is a known bug/exploit but it's not as important as game-breaking bugs so we are going to ignore this until at least Dwarf Fortress Beta or later".  I can be satisfied with that kind of an answer, but I just want to make sure I am hearing you right.

Edit: site note, my "escaped lunatic" title feels oddly appropriate right now.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 12:53:01 am »

so to make sure I understand this correctly  "It is a known bug/exploit but it's not as important as game-breaking bugs so we are going to ignore this until at least Dwarf Fortress Beta or later".  I can be satisfied with that kind of an answer, but I just want to make sure I am hearing you right.

Edit: site note, my "escaped lunatic" title feels oddly appropriate right now.
Yeah I was wondering about who let you out of the cage.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 12:38:06 pm »

It's neither a bug, nor an exploit, as there are in game repercussions of doing it.  I.E. the merchants leave with less than they arrived with and will eventually go to war with you, and until then will start bringing less stuff and less valuable stuff.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 03:20:10 pm »

Right now caravans, much like migrants and sieges, are created as they enter the edge of the map. They do not appear in the world history previous to this unless they are unique characters, such as the king or local goblin leaders.

When the army arc and diplomacy is put in, I expect that caravans will be an issue that could trigger war. Robbing or slaughtering caravans should result in a downturn in relations. If diplomatic relations drop too low, then war will break out.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 11:10:11 pm »

It's neither a bug, nor an exploit, as there are in game repercussions of doing it.  I.E. the merchants leave with less than they arrived with and will eventually go to war with you, and until then will start bringing less stuff and less valuable stuff.

Slight correction: as far as anyone as reliably shown, they don't actually go to war unless you kill a diplomat/liaison/representative.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 12:12:44 pm »

Slight correction: as far as anyone as reliably shown, they don't actually go to war unless you kill a diplomat/liaison/representative.

Touche.