Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alternating Floodgates...  (Read 751 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Alternating Floodgates...
« on: August 07, 2009, 05:00:35 pm »

Well, I somehow messed up when I was building the floodgates to channel water from the UG river to the rest of my fortress. The passage is two tiles wide, with two floodgates in it... but I can't exactly open or close it. When the lever is set to the left, the southern floodgate opens while the northern one closes. When the lever is set to the right, the southers closes wile the northern one opens. How do I get them to open/close at the same time?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alternating Floodgates...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 05:09:45 pm »

Reconstruct the open one and link it up?

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 05:09:58 pm »

Try ordering two lever pulls. That *might* fix it.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 05:13:12 pm »

Alternatively, connect the closed one(Doesn't matter which one that is) to a second lever, order that lever to be pulled once, then deconstruct it. It's another possible fix, and if it doesn't work, remove both levers, place new ones and link gate 1 to lever 1, then gate 2 to lever 2.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 01:02:03 pm »

If I recall correctly, floodgates won't close if something is under them, so position a one squad militia underneath the open floodgate and pull the lever.  The worst that will happen is that the floodgate crushes the dwarf and you get some Funtm.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 01:20:06 pm »

If I recall correctly, floodgates won't close if something is under them, so position a one squad militia underneath the open floodgate and pull the lever.  The worst that will happen is that the floodgate crushes the dwarf and you get some Funtm.
Hmm... if it did crush them, they would make an interesting noble trap. Install a bunch of floodgates in their room and let them pull the lever. Only problem is you can't put furniture on floodgates, so there would have to be some un-floodgated areas... which means they might survive.

At any rate, that fortress is a goner now, so no need to worry about ti anymore.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 01:44:19 pm »

Well, I somehow messed up when I was building the floodgates to channel water from the UG river to the rest of my fortress. The passage is two tiles wide, with two floodgates in it... but I can't exactly open or close it. When the lever is set to the left, the southern floodgate opens while the northern one closes. When the lever is set to the right, the southers closes wile the northern one opens. How do I get them to open/close at the same time?
Something is fishy. Even if you put stuff out of synch, levers never used to alternate stuff. they only send a state, and thats that. In case stuff is out of synch, you pull the lever, wait. pull the lever once stuff has moved again. There's no way two floodgates arent synched again. Unless there are items lying on one of them, but that still shouldnt lead to alternating behaviour.

If you want levers to alternate floodgates, you need to simulate one of them with a 1x1 raising bridge.

I would have liked to see what was really going on.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 01:47:07 pm »

There are no states for levers, its already been proven.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 02:22:12 pm »

There are no states for levers, its already been proven.

There ARE states for levers, except when they are linked to gears. When linked to anything else, they are either on or off. (also on wiki)
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.