Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron 3  (Read 7449 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron 3
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 05:17:34 pm »

I actually fell asleep in this game. Seriously. I can't imagine how people are willing to sit there staring at nonmoving icons on a nonmoving map for eons and eons. It's not like it's very deep either, just confusing to learn at first with an overcomplicated interface and a pathetic tutorial. Once you get past the initial learning curve, it's such a simple game of economics. Ooooh, balance all the pretty figures and numbers to make your economy work. So difficult.  ::)

I got bored with HoI 2 (which I actually had bought) and stopped playing it because of like reasons. I felt combat had little enough strategy to it. Better than Europa Universalis 2 (which was plain dull), but still boorish.

Frankly, I found Crusader Kings more entertaining, as far as Paradox games are concerned.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 05:34:02 pm »

Kanil: It's probably normal, I didn't really check. Just selected Germany and started the game. It's not even my doing that the whole of Asia is on the verge of German occupation. It's just that I can no longer control my armies. It's too big. If I take it off AI control, it would take hours just to rearrange everyone. And because there's so many of them, even when asked to be on defense, they just consider everyone to be pathetically weak and don't stop attacking until they reach the ocean.

My IC is several thousand. Spamming factories tends to do that... Practically all of Central Germany is factories. That place will open a hole in the ozone layer. And guess what most of them are producing? MORE FACTORIES.

Like I said. Simplistic game. Easy to play but difficult to learn. Chockful of odd bugs. Grudgingly boring for the first few years but gets mildly entertaining when you see your minions form a massive line of infantry stretching from Spain to India.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 07:57:39 pm »

Interesting. Didn't realize you could build that much IC... although it does seem certainly feasable.

Also, CK is an excellent game.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 04:35:46 am »

The more bases/infra/factories you build the more building practical experience you get, which in turns reduces the IC and time of doing that by up to60% if i remember correctly.
Magma is overrated.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2009, 04:38:31 am »

What about NOT playing as Germany? Or not spamming IC?
"Hey, I'm playing this game at Very Easy level but it's boring. It's too easy."

I don't have HoI 3 yet, but my best (fun) games in HoI 2 was with Italy or some regional power. Stuff like Turkey, Balkan countries, South American countries, Sweden.

Germany, US, SU and UK are way too easy, unless you put some restriction or some modding.
Japan is easy as well, but at least with them you have to be careful with your fleet against the US uber carrier task forces of Doom.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2009, 10:36:02 am »

What about NOT playing as Germany? Or not spamming IC?
"Hey, I'm playing this game at Very Easy level but it's boring. It's too easy."
last I checked Germany lost Wolrd War II, so how does playing as the people who historicaly lost make for an easy game?
US on the other hand...
they have the highest resource production in the world
I think they have the most IC, but definetly top 3.
until 1941 no one will attack them. at all!

And not playing as one of the 'majors' isn't fun because they are the ones who can change history. although I bet in this game you can play as Dirkastan and still conquer half of the world by endgame...
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2009, 10:52:55 am »

If you're playing a game against a friend, and he sucks, you probably won't be pressed very hard to beat him, yes?

Similarly, playing against an AI who sucks, you're either going to win easily or handicap yourself in some way for a closer game. A good example would be picking a smaller nation to play.

Germany tends to have troubles in MP games.

@ sneaky pete: I noted some screenshots of that. It seems to be the cause of absurd amounts of IC. Kinda silly.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2009, 12:01:18 pm »

Kanil: The only problem with that is that the beginning is going to be even more boring than it already is if you choose something other than the major powers to play as. I tried playing as Luxemberg the first time and it was completely retarded. You can't do ANYTHING. You can't fight anything, can't build enough, can't research enough, etc. Then I tried Ireland. Again, same problem.

It's not like, "oh hey, here's a small country but if you work at it, you can definitely be able to rule the world!" Because, as a simple product of math: Ireland gets around 20 IC at the start of the game. Germany gets about 400. Ireland gets about 3 leadership points. Germany gets 50. Germany also happens to have 1/6th of all existing technology researched already while Ireland has one or two. Germany also has a standing navy, airforce, and army which includes many divisions of men, battleships, battlecruisers, fighters, tac bombers, etc. Ireland has a two infantry and a transport. All the major powers start with more or less the same. Explain to me please, through what feasible mathemathical function, we can get Ireland anywhere NEAR the major power's levels before the game ends?

Maybe it's different in the other Hearts of Iron games, as I've never played them, but it's more or less impossible in this game without a crushing amount of patience.

And yeah, the US is definitely way stronger than Germany.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 01:02:52 pm »

Try a '39 start if the pre-war years are soul-crushingly boring.

Also, Ireland and Luxembourg are two terribly weak nations. Hungary would be a much better choice for an interesting not-major. Spain too but they have a little civil war to deal with.

That being said, I've yet to play HoI3, so... lawl, I probably shouldn't be saying much.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2009, 02:44:31 pm »

I always liked the speed of HOI2, honestly.

Also just 'got' Hoi3, though my processor is probably too slow to play it well.

Edit: Tried it out, as suspected my processor is to slow for it and even so its just... I don't like it. Paradox just filled it to the brim with bloat and meaningless features that it didn't need.  Heats of Iron 2 is better.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:10:01 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2009, 08:47:29 pm »

It's not like, "oh hey, here's a small country but if you work at it, you can definitely be able to rule the world!" Because, as a simple product of math: Ireland gets around 20 IC at the start of the game. Germany gets about 400. Ireland gets about 3 leadership points. Germany gets 50. Germany also happens to have 1/6th of all existing technology researched already while Ireland has one or two. Germany also has a standing navy, airforce, and army which includes many divisions of men, battleships, battlecruisers, fighters, tac bombers, etc. Ireland has a two infantry and a transport. All the major powers start with more or less the same. Explain to me please, through what feasible mathemathical function, we can get Ireland anywhere NEAR the major power's levels before the game ends?

he never said "play a smaller country and destroy the entire world", he said play as a smaller country. the very fact that you can't take over the entire world is the point: you have to have smaller goals in mind, be careful of the big boys, focus on local areas and managing your resources carefully.

The objective of the game doesnt have to be world domination.
Magma is overrated.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2009, 10:40:08 pm »

The objective of the game doesnt have to be world domination.
Yes it does.
!!&!!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2009, 04:33:05 am »

The problem is that in the HoI games the "smaller goals for smaller countries" are rather limited. There's fairly little you can do. Take Spain. Ok, you can win the civil war with whichever side, and then perhaps try to take over Portugal. That's about it.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2009, 06:00:44 am »

May 1941: Germany has conquered the whole of Africa, India, Middle East, and Europe. The Fatherland has also turned the UK into its puppet nation along with Portugal, Afghanistan, Iraq, Romania, Italy, Greece, Finland, Ireland, and Croatia. Asia and Russia are ready to fall to the combined might of German armor and British sail. Finally, the 9 battleship, 12 battlecruiser, and hundreds of screening craft fleets along with 100 transports are preparing to sail for the United States and total global domination by the next year.

Man, paratroopers are totally overpowered. I can subdue an entire country by dropping a couple of guys on their completely undefended capitals. I probably should stop using them... they advance the front lines way too fast.

Hahaha! And the greatest discovery was learning that flying bombs and v-2 rockets were reusable and actually operated just like regular bombers. Except with a crapload of damage done, a building time of only a month and about 1 IC of production cost. Totally overpowered there.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2009, 06:04:40 am »

Hahaha! And the greatest discovery was learning that flying bombs and v-2 rockets were reusable and actually operated just like regular bombers.
in HoI 2 they were one shot.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4