Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Encouraging animals to mate  (Read 760 times)

Yssago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Encouraging animals to mate
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:10:19 pm »

The elves brought me a bunch of animals including 3 raccoons (both sexes), I took them and locked them in a room hoping they'd mate and make me an army of cute beasts over the years.

I've done it with dogs before, in a pit, and they were mating like crazy (many animals per squares).

But the raccoons... they do absolutely nothing. How boring.
Anything I can do or should I make raccoon shoes/stew/bolts instead?

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Encouraging animals to mate
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 04:14:21 pm »

They don't have to be on the same tile. Not sure why they are not breeding though. Have you hit maybe a global animal population limit with other animals?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 04:16:14 pm »

Bad jazz and pink-red lights seems to do the trick.

It just takes a little more time for some creatures then for others, and I assume there is a significant random factor involved.

I know I had no puppies in at least 5+ years, but then all 45 war dogs(And some random hunting dogs) gave birth at once, I now have 100+ puppies.

Just give them some time.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Yssago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 04:28:19 pm »

Oh, by "same tile" I meant that there were so many of them over time, they were living on top of each other due to the lack of space.

Now I'm locking up raccoons and they don't even move.
Maybe I'll free them for a year and if nothing happens... Raccoon Shoes!

Edit: Ten minutes after posting that, baby raccoons! I guess they need time to know each other.
        Soon my army of inbred raccoons will help me take over the elves!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 04:37:37 pm by Yssago »

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 07:19:07 pm »

Just for information, all animals in DF breed by spores. ( I'm not entirely sure if this includes Dwarfs or not, I;ve never watched them...)

That is to say, any two animals of the same species and opposite sexes will breed almost instantaneously, regardless of physical distance. There have been cases where a lone female horse inside of the fortress had been impregnated by male horses used as mounts during a siege. You can lock your breeding pares up in separate rooms, separated by a wall of magma, and yet still they'll breed.