Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Careless use of Dwarf Manager breaking stuff?  (Read 666 times)

Geargrinder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Careless use of Dwarf Manager breaking stuff?
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:04:35 pm »

So... I fire up Dwarf Fortress and Dwarf Manager. Load a game. Load values to DM. Save the game. Load a game. Pause DF. Modify skills in DM WITHOUT loading new values. Write changes. Unpause DF.

At this point DF may crash, chaos ensues, or as in my first case nothing happens until you save the game and try to load it again. It gave me a Fatal Error: Missing Word Definition. Tried again and this time it crashed DF. Based on my very limited programming experience, I assume that DM fiddles with bits that no longer represent dwarf skills, but something completely different which may or may not be critical.

The first time this happened I had DM running in the background, saved the game to make sure I didn't lose too much progress if the game crashed, continued playing and modified skills using DM but forgot to reload values.

DM shouldn't break stuff just because I forgot to reload values. Please apply idiot-proofing. Maybe automatically reloading values when gaining focus if there are no pending changes, with pending changes flash loadbutton red and warn before applying or something.

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Careless use of Dwarf Manager breaking stuff?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 04:18:22 pm »

Please apply idiot-proofing.
Already exists. Please apply intelligence.

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 04:25:50 pm »

never had a problem with it. i even do dwarf labor changes WHILE the game is running, no pause needed. sure, most times i do pause so they stop doing/ not doing what i want them to, but in my experience dwarf manager is pretty tight.

Geargrinder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 04:32:54 pm »

Please apply idiot-proofing.
Already exists. Please apply intelligence.
There is a reason why doomsday buttons are carefully guarded and secured. Because someone WILL lean on it by accident.

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 02:56:20 am »

Hrm.

Thing is, I don't think any of the utilities have a way to realize that you've loaded a saved game up.  Some will loose focus (and not work at all) if you close DF and restart, but if you save then just continue, they have no way to know that you just altered all of the DF memory contents.

At present, I'm just not sure there is a way for a 3rd party utility to be aware when you do a save-load switch on it.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 10:39:02 am »

1st method of thousands possible: allow the pressing of "save" only after the "load" has been pressed.
2nd method: automatically load values when pressing "save" before applying the changes.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository