Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DF Meetup Suggestion  (Read 4014 times)

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
DF Meetup Suggestion
« on: August 07, 2009, 12:12:09 pm »

Big idea ahead. Big, unlikely idea.

I think I know a good, easily acessible location for the DF meetup next year. Now, bear with me. I live in an area known as the Hudson Valley in upstate New York. This area not only has a significantly interesting geographical history but it also has easy acess to all of the major highways that run through the Tri State Area. Now we could do one of two things before we meet up at a restaurant:

One:
Now I live about two hours from New York City and I figure if the meetup occurs here we could spend a day at the city maybe go to the museum, a baseball game, or the zoo.

Two:
This area has literally TONS of excellent hiking trails and parks that are filled with wildlife of all kinds. We could go up to Minnewaska State Park and walk from the woods on the cliffs and slopes to the fields on top of the mountains. Or we could go to a few trails with excellent scenery and excellent fishing.

After that we all meet back at one of two locations:

The Brauhaus:http://www.mountainbrauhaus.com/
I've been to the Brauhaus when I was younger and it has absolutely excellent food. It is however small and is more of a restaurant than a pub like this year's meetup. Therefore it isnt much of a place to hold a convention of sorts. It does however have nice views of the valley around it.

The Gilded Otter Brewing Co:http://www.gildedotter.com/home.htm
This is a very popular restaurant in the valley. It has excellent views of the mountains, great food, and they brew their own beer! Yes, there are stills and pipes snaking throughout the restaurant. The problem with this is the price. The food, however good, is pricy. This is a very large restaurant so no reservations are required. Again this restaurant is a good choice but it may be crowded.

So Bay12, tell me if you think I'm batshit insane for suggesting this but it just hit me like a large Armanian with a 2x4.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
Re: DF Meetup Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 08:37:30 pm »

Wow, no responses yet? I must be crazier than I thought.  :P
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 08:44:44 pm »

We should like, all go to Toady's place to play dwarf fortress and listen to Rush. The wilderness is OVERRATED.

white_wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 01:03:56 am »

as much as i would LOVE to meet a few more people who play df, i unfortunetly live in australia

....sucks to be me
im HUNGREH!!!!!!!!!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 02:08:01 am »

We should like, all go to Toady's place to play dwarf fortress and listen to Rush. The wilderness is OVERRATED.

Hawkwind is more DF than Rush is, I feel.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 04:58:24 am »

Eh, closer than Washington but still out of range.

And also, yeah, we get all the wildnerness we need in DF.  The woods are full of bears(Which it turns out can be death knights)
Shoes...

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 06:48:26 am »

UK here. I like the wilderness, but I prefer sitting in my dank dungeon of a bedroom, playing DF and listening to Primus. P.S. ZZ Top and Cream are more DF.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 12:58:01 am »

This year around 27 people came to the meetup.  Any more people and we're not going to be able to find a place in most restaurants.  I don't know what's going to happen next year - whether we rent some rooms in a hotel and hire a catering service, or whether we try to find a dinner establishment that will be happy to host ~40 people - but whatever it is, there will probably have to be two major changes:

1. We'll need to charge a flat fee for all meetup-goers, to pay for some kind of buffet and maybe the rental fee for the venue.

2. The format of the evening will have to become much more structured, with question-and-answer periods, panels, etc.. -- instead of just amorphously hanging out the whole time.  So many people came this last time, all wanting to talk to Tarn, that he ended up sort of holding court in the middle of the restaurant, and it was kind of weird.  This doesn't mean that we won't have hanging-out time, it just means that we also have to have time set aside for a more structured dialogue between the Toad and the fans.

So, don't be discouraged about holding a DF meetup, just know that there are probably enough people interested in coming that there are some organizational challenges.  Who knows, maybe it would be for the best if there wasn't just _the_ DF Meetup, but a bunch of smaller regional events people could go to around the world.
Adon * Amil * Orethan

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 04:20:07 am »

We need a worldwide Dwarf Fortress Day, anybody want to start a petition to the UN?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 11:14:58 am »

Already done. Miguel Brockmann should be getting back to me any day now. He's such a flake though... :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 07:54:50 pm »

How would Amsterdam rate for an European DF meetup?

I hear there is a nice restaurant which has it's own brewery across the street with a copper pipe running across to serve the tap.

Not sure I'd fancy a meetup without our esteemed CEO present though. :P

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 07:31:27 pm »

or whether we try to find a dinner establishment that will be happy to host ~40 people

Any mead halls in your area? :P
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 08:44:10 pm »

A world wide DF day sounds fun in all, but to be honest mr tarn can only be in so many places at once D:
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 11:40:19 pm »

Perhaps we could have a virtual DF meetup via Skype or something, I dunno.  The podcast is intended to slate some of that thirst, but it may only stoke it in the end.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 01:21:13 am »

We could have a skype discussion with Toady if we were having a meetup without him.
Pages: [1] 2 3