Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions regarding making creatures tamable and adding offspring.  (Read 620 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. Will I have to do a new worldgen after I make some creatures tameable and war trained, and after adding offspring? I keep hearing about stuff like warbears and I want to train War Scorpions or something :)

2. For those creatures that do have a child graphic (I'm using Mayday), but don't have a child tag in the raws, is there something specific that I need to do to get them to use the child graphic?

3. For those few creatures that don't have a child graphic (Giant Scorpions bieng one), how do I 'assign' a child graphic? I would make my own graphic, but my pixel art skills aren't very good. Also, I'm not planning on allowing GCS to reproduce, yet, as I'm not that crazy.

4. A final question, does anybody have a good name for baby Giant Scorpions? Giant Scorpion Nymphs? Scorplets?

As for the required taming tags, I'll look around in the wiki, or maybe just copy them off of dogs.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile

1. No don't need new regen
2. No edition needed (if specified in the graph txt wich is graphic_examples or something in Mayday, but i think it is ok)
3. You need to add in the graphic txt (or in a new one) to the game to find it, look for example in the txt the raws are quite explicit
4. you can give baby:0 child:0 so no need for name the child(nor graphic for point 3), or could call it just Scorpion (it is not that Giant when born ...)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool, thanks. :)

I'm adding the trainable tag to all creatures that have the pet tag, including the weak stuff. Who knows, maybe I can make an army of gazelles, lol.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

2) If they don't have a child tag, they don't use the tile. However if it's there I am almost sure that Mike already assigned them to a creature, so if you add a child tag, it's fine.
3) If you open /raw/graphics/graphics_example.txt file, you see all the assignments. For a child under the creature description you should add [CHILD:WHATEVER:X:Y:AS_IS:DEFAULT], where WHATEVER is the name of your tileset (look at other lines, it's there), X and Y are x and y coords on the image (note: starting with 0:0, not 1:1), for a baby do the same except for BABY instead of CHILD.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 10:58:17 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

3. For those few creatures that don't have a child graphic (Giant Scorpions bieng one), how do I 'assign' a child graphic? I would make my own graphic, but my pixel art skills aren't very good.
First you need something to assign (I made a young GS just to see if I could... see below). Then you need to give the game the coordinates of the graphic and set which creature will be using the graphic. Mayday's animal PNG is [TILE_DIM:16:16] and [PAGE_DIM:12 :30], which means that it has 12 'blocks' horizontally and 30 vertically. Each of these blocks is 16x16 pixels and contains a single graphic within it. (Note that the game will simply look at the pixels comprising a single block and spit out what it sees. If you place your intended graphic so that it crosses the block's borders, it'll get cut off and the offcuts will appear on the graphic of whatever animal is next to the one you're trying to work with.) When you give the game the following lines:

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:SCORPION_DESERT_GIANT]
   [DEFAULT:ANIMALS:8:27:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [CHILD:ANIMALS:9:27:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

it looks at the 8th block right and the 27th one down when it's called on to display an adult GS, and the 9th block right and the 27th one down when it has to display a young GS. In the default Mayday set that block is blank, so you get a blank tile for your young GS. Put a graphic in the block, and you get it displayed. Here's one I made earlier.

Preview edit: Ehh, Deon already covered some of this. But I think it's useful to know how the game knows which graphics go where.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The scorpions were the only one without a child image that I wanted to be able to reproduce. I simply assigned the same image for the child image. I'm not in a desert fortress right now, so I can't confirm if that actually works.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

If you did it the right way, then it surely works :). There's just a few ways to make a mistake.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository