Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Your Questions!  (Read 58180 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Recorded Call #2: Your Questions!
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2009, 03:27:42 pm »

Is it true Mountain tiles and river tiles are incompatible?, and therefore you can't find both adamantium and a deep river together?

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2009, 04:12:50 pm »

Toady, receive my question, let it dwell in Thy mind, if only for an instant:

How and why did you decide to use Good and Evil to determine areas of the world map?  In particular, what makes an area Evil?  Dark magic?  Radiation?  Really deep HFS?  More importantly, are all animals zombified because the area is Evil, or is the area Evil because all the animals are zombified?  Will this zombification one day happen to towns or fortresses?  Will acts of good 'turn' an area back to normal?  Will undead infect others and spread Evil regions throughout the world?

Sorry if that was on the long side.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2009, 04:34:39 pm »

That thing about turning sites good or evil is a marvelous idea IMO.

I would gladly start a vegan happy-hippy elf settlement, to kill various zombie/skeletal critters to convert the plains of vomit into the field of lush grass.

And it would punish the player for slaughtering nobles.
There should be penalties for just up and killing someone.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2009, 05:08:47 pm »

Is it true Mountain tiles and river tiles are incompatible?, and therefore you can't find both adamantium and a deep river together?

Currently each 48x48 map block can only contain one feature (adamantine, a cave river, a chasm, etc.) across all Z-levels.  So you'll never find adamantine directly above or below a cave river.  However, they can still be found on the same map, since most maps include several dozen map blocks.

That's all different in the next version though -- there'll be layers of features on top of other features, and they'll be intertwined and stuff.

How and why did you decide to use Good and Evil to determine areas of the world map?  In particular, what makes an area Evil?  Dark magic?  Radiation?  Really deep HFS?  More importantly, are all animals zombified because the area is Evil, or is the area Evil because all the animals are zombified?  Will this zombification one day happen to towns or fortresses?  Will acts of good 'turn' an area back to normal?  Will undead infect others and spread Evil regions throughout the world?

Good/evil regions are actually getting removed in the near future:
#  I.B: Remove good/evil regions and add more specific associations instead, requires some of the Creature Improvements below to flesh it out (part of Core94) 

Your question is still interesting and relevant in that context, though.  The "specific associations" are religious spheres.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 02:53:06 pm by Footkerchief »

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2009, 07:07:52 pm »

#  I.B: Remove good/evil regions and add more specific associations instead, requires some of the Creature Improvements below to flesh it out (part of Core94) 

The "specific associations" are religious spheres.

So, we'll go from

ALIGNMENT: Terrifying! (a combination of evil and wild)

to

Alignment: Tentacles, Sunshine, hats

????
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2009, 07:19:07 pm »

Alignment: Tentacles, Sunshine, hats
That jolly old cthulhu loves a good bowler or trilby on a nice summer stroll.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2009, 10:38:11 pm »

Please... please someone draw Cthulhu walking through a sunny park with a cane and bowler hat.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2009, 02:06:27 pm »

Please someone draw Cthulhu walking through a sunny park with a cane and bowler hat.

I signed up for the forums to share this.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2009, 02:46:25 pm »

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2009, 04:46:17 pm »

D=
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 05:47:55 pm by Qloos »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2009, 05:25:10 pm »

Hey, cool it off.  Capntastic is one of the people that actually has to go through the thread and collect questions, so I can see where he's coming from.  If the thread spirals into degeneracy, that becomes more difficult.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2009, 09:21:04 pm »

Hey, cool it off.  Capntastic is one of the people that actually has to go through the thread and collect questions, so I can see where he's coming from.  If the thread spirals into degeneracy, that becomes more difficult.

Understood, great one.

Will the terrain-alignment system allow for nonsensical or opposite combinations of affinity, such as Rainbow-Zombie or Evil-Sunshine or Sadness-Love?
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2009, 10:03:05 pm »

Understood, great one.

I was referring to the edited-out post above mine more than anything.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2009, 10:54:36 pm »

Will the terrain-alignment system allow for nonsensical or opposite combinations of affinity, such as Rainbow-Zombie or Evil-Sunshine or Sadness-Love?

Say less "nonsensical" and more "non-obvious." A strong Blood-Sunshine combination could result in a locale where the trees bleed when the sun shines on them. Or alternately, where living creatures get a bonus to aerobic exercises due to their blood circulating better when the sun is out. Or both. Probably dependent on what else is going on nearby (as I think the plan is for lands to influence surrounding lands somewhat).

"Rainbow-Zombie" could result in finding the end of the rainbow... and a big heaping pot of BRAAAAINS!

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2009, 11:28:33 pm »

How much inter-race diversity are you aiming for in either genetics or culture?  Will it ever be more significant than belonging to a different species?

How do you see tutorials being implemented?  Will you focus around gradually making more and more of the game available to the new player, and/or try to create a deep sort of contextual help screen?  And will scripting tools ever be released to let players create fully ingame tutorials?

Do you think you can/will model evolution well over the course of world gen?

When running a whole civilization, I'd expect (and hope) that a great amount of the decisions made would at least have the option of being automated.  Have you thought a great deal about developing a comprehensive way to enable/disable automation on a smaller scale (like with governors in several games?)  This would be a way to help out the learning curve.

Do you have any plans on letting creatures leave or come in through the borders of the generated regions?  Will there be any way to travel between regions (assuming the raws are kept the same?)

Will you release a scripting tool to let people create more story-focused games with Dwarf Fortress's complexity, if they want to?

Will we see any math-related easter eggs in the game?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12