Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Your Questions!  (Read 58191 times)

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Recorded Call #2: Your Questions!
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2009, 01:36:18 pm »

What sort of new uses (both vanilla and anticipated mods) will contaminants (venoms, gasses, coatings) have in the next version?  Will it be possible to more closely simulate, say, a 'frozen breath' attack that coats a target with extremely cold frost, and what are the consequences of these attacks given the new body definitions?

Long question.  I'm awfully curious what sort of tools this will give the modder to play around with, and what sort of expected/unexpected behavior can occur.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2009, 02:45:57 pm »

With the advent of real healthcare, I'm wondering if the animal care profession will get any improvements?  Will we still have to deal with having wounded wardogs limping around the fortress with no way of helping or disposing them?

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2009, 05:39:41 pm »

With the advent of real healthcare, I'm wondering if the animal care profession will get any improvements?  Will we still have to deal with having wounded wardogs limping around the fortress with no way of helping or disposing them?

There are already ways of disposing of them.

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2009, 09:42:43 pm »

There are already ways of disposing of them.

When they're assigned to dwarves and move around sporadically, slowly, and unpredictably, they are very hard to get rid of.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2009, 09:50:40 pm »

Id be concerned that some of these questions seem to be more like Bug reports and suggestions if it wasn't for the fact that they have to be chosen.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2009, 11:29:35 pm »

Yeah, a lot of these are "When will X be put in" or "Are you going to do X like Y" which aren't really that interesting to ask.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2009, 11:31:44 pm »

If you were to play a community game?  Would you play succession, community or something completely different?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2009, 11:52:49 pm »

Yeah, a lot of these are "When will X be put in" or "Are you going to do X like Y" which aren't really that interesting to ask.

I'd love to quote people who did just that, but I don't really want to put anyone down. I'd certainly wouldn't want to be.

That and the list is pretty large since there isn't actually any written criteria for questions.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2009, 12:37:49 am »

Do you ever correct mistakes on the wiki (either just happening to find them or deliberately looking for them)?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Mechanical Yeti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2009, 12:40:05 am »

With the recent military updates, especially the schedules, the soldiers are more autonomous.
Are there plans to implement a similar system for civilian tasks? For example, if I plant pig tail every summer, could I set my workshops to automatically create pig tail thread every summer?

What else do you wish to introduce to make fortress management easier?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 12:50:51 am by Mechanical Yeti »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2009, 02:38:28 am »

Is it likely that we'll see improved hauling/job priorities in this release?

No, there won't be any major changes to those in this release, but he's said he'll be considering the top 10 suggestions (these are #1 and #2 respectively, I think) for the next round of (smaller) releases.

Do you have any plans to make df more accessible/friendly to new players?

# ADVANCED HELP ARC: Yeah, dwarves has a steep learning curve. Tutorials and advisors could help this, as well as decent in-game help. Related to Core19, Core22 and Core58.

What will happen to the past year of bug reports? Do you still read those at all? Are you just going to go tabula rasa for your next release, as a lot of the game will have changed by then and a number of problems won't apply anymore?

He's still been noting down bug reports during this release cycle (about 80 since the last release).  At best a small fraction of the current bugs will become obsolete.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:29:32 am by Footkerchief »

Soldats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2009, 01:17:58 pm »

These questions aren't really related to the next release but I have be wondering them ever since I read the design doc in its entirety (which was like right after the 3d dwarf fortress release) and since toady is working on the army arc I figure they are relevant. (links to any info if these questions have already been [partially] answered please :))

I was wondering exactly how you intend to do the "attack other sites with your fortress' army".  Will we zoom to the world map and do everything through the world map? or will it be more of an adventure mode thing where you command your army in the field but can zoom out to do a quick travel dealie to shorten travel times?

Two more related quetions

How will army combat be resolved?  Will it be an auto resolve (basically just simulating armies charging at each other)? or a more rts approach with the player making specific battlefield decisions and doling at orders to troops? 

What happens to the fort if the player is out in the field with the army?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2009, 11:44:36 pm »

Why do the temperatures in the raws have such high numbers? Is there any special reason for water to freeze at 10,000 degrees?

Also,
What, approximately, would the Number be right now if you had kept track of it.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:51:31 pm by Sizik »
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2009, 12:15:34 am »

Why do the temperatures in the raws have such high numbers? Is there any special reason for water to freeze at 10,000 degrees?

I have HALF the reason...

Some things only freeze in the negatives and negative numbers in raws are harder to code.

Kelvin for example is temperature where 0 Kelvin is Absolute Zero.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2009, 12:41:07 am »

I have HALF the reason...

Some things only freeze in the negatives and negative numbers in raws are harder to code.

Kelvin for example is temperature where 0 Kelvin is Absolute Zero.
My guess is easier conversion was a factor, though I am not sure why he didn't go with 1000 instead of 10000 and use the Celsius scale unit instead of just its 0 point.  It might be because he has roots in pure mathematics, straight math degrees have been known to occasionally do strange things to people(I can think of one particular calculus professor who didn't seem to be 100% there).  I would be curious to know.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12