Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #1: Feedback  (Read 32950 times)

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Recorded Call #1: Feedback
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2009, 03:40:10 pm »

If this is going to be a regular thing, then an RSS feed with the magic in that iTunes understands (http://www.apple.com/itunes/whatson/podcasts/specs.html) would be fantastic: there is some setup effort involved but once the RSS exists adding new episodes is pretty trivial. The format should be usable by other podcast downloaders as well (the iTunes metadata is a superset).

This would mean I can have it automatically appear on my portable device which would be nice :)
Here is a quick and dirty rss feed.
toady one feel free to use.

edit: fix format
edit2: update feed url
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:52:49 am by snooptodd »

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2009, 07:07:46 pm »

I enjoyed it. Wasn't there going to be something about "SIGN UP HERE AND BE ELIGIBLE TO BE ON THE SHOW!"

?
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2009, 09:47:31 pm »

I enjoyed it. Wasn't there going to be something about "SIGN UP HERE AND BE ELIGIBLE TO BE ON THE SHOW!"

There was a thread for it a month and a half ago, which is where Toady selected Rainseeker and I.   We're planning on having guests and such in the future, though.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2009, 10:01:07 pm »

Well then I guess it falls under "Stay on topic"

No wait it did turn into dwarfland anyhow. (Tone of voice: Friendly Joking)

Wait, so you're complaining I wasn't staying on topic by talking about beer.

And also complaining that talking about beer is too cliche dwarvenly? 

I don't really get where your complaint is coming from.  (Tone of voice:  Celestial Monotone)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2009, 11:59:10 pm »

Well, for lack of ANY other way of saying it.

I thought it was very stupid/silly past the threshhold where such would be enjoyable.

Also I used "Tone of Voice" because I didn't want people to interpret what I said negatively as I wasn't actually ranting.

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2009, 12:08:08 am »

I thought this was overall really good. Interesting topics were discussed, it didn't feel rushed and the sound quality was excellent for this type of production.

I look forward to hearing this months questions now that people have gotten a feel for the format

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2009, 12:09:31 am »

I don't see how celebrating the first DF podcast by showing off the first bottle of my own homebrewed beer is 'stupid' or 'silly', but you're free to have your opinion.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2009, 01:49:33 am »

I don't see how celebrating the first DF podcast by showing off the first bottle of my own homebrewed beer is 'stupid' or 'silly', but you're free to have your opinion.

Sorry I couldn't phrase is anyother way. No hard feelings?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 02:19:30 am by Neonivek »

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2009, 05:19:23 am »

I found the whole homebrewed beer thing to be a bit... random... It felt a bit out of place.

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2009, 05:25:56 am »

Alright, don't take my rant as harsh criticism, I'm just writing down everything that came to my mind while listening to the show. It was a great listen and I can't wait for the next episode!

I didn't have a personal problem with the beer moment, but I think it didn't really serve any useful purpose and could have been done with. It wasn't even a fun moment, just someone announcing "and now i am going to drink beer" and hearing him fiddle with it for a little while, not fantastic radio material in my opinion. Some people may complain that such kind of content is objectionable, and it would be a reasonable argument. As other people have remarked, it was at least a bit out of place.

The remark at the beginning about having lost half an hour of recording was kind of inappropriate: it is your responsibility to have the show up and running, granted it's not your fault that software crashed but it is up to you to test things, make sure they work reliably, etc... When I heard the beginning of the show I thought "hah great, they all sound frustrated as hell and are going to rush through it". It really didn't set a good vibe.

The recording quality was good except for Capntastic's voice, it was pretty muddy and detracted from the production value. But I understand your microphone was dying and by next time things should be better in that regard. I was thinking, maybe it could be possible to place the voices around spatially (say, Toady in the center and the interviewers slightly on the left and right) to provide some more breathing room and prevent the voices from overlapping too much?

At the end of the day, Toady is a great speaker and made an 80 minute interview really interesting and fun to listen to, making me wish for more. However, it is true that there was a bit of confusing ranting towards the end and with a little bit more planning and production it should be possible to format the show into a solid hour of neatly packaged great, compelling material. Without giving the show too much of an inflexible structure, it would definitely be fun to have recurring bits and pieces such as an email he received he wanted to share with the public, the recently-implemented feature he was the most excited about, the most intriguing/bizarre bug Toady encountered that month while programming, that sort of stuff.

All in all it's a good start and I'm sure the show will garner lots of positive attention and success. This definitely deserves a mention on the front page and a more visible place in the Bay12 ecosystem.

(I was amused at hearing the question I asked in my thread in the interview, I felt kind of embarassed actually as I came off as excessively critical. But it was good to hear Toady's thoughts on it, as he seems to have politically avoided the thread, hehe.)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 05:50:36 am by nagual678 »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2009, 06:01:49 am »

I dunno, I personally felt that the beer thing would add to a sort of round table discussion of DF and assorted tangents in general.  If people just want a monthly Q&A with Toady, that's fine too.  I just wanted more of a communal discussion of whatever- especially since Toady is the absolute king of amusing tangents.  I have to admit that I was far too tired to attempt making the decanting of my first beer 'exciting' for the general populace.   Likewise, people seem to recall more of the 'fluff' things from Toady's interview, such as passing cars yelling at him, rather than the brass tacks that are usually answered on the forums.   Having a mix of B12 related content and general 'what's up gang' discussion would be preferable, I think, and keep things from being from stagnating.   Not like I plan on drinking a beer every ep.

I don't think the 'sorry we sound so tired, we spent 45 minutes on nothing' thing was uncalled for, especially since this is a test run.   If the B12 community is to accurately gauge the work we're doing, they should have some idea of what's going on behind the scenes.   I don't want everyone to think we'll be half-dead all the time.   And losing 45 minutes of work is never fun.

And yeah, my call quality kept cutting out for seconds at a time through the latter half, and generally lowering my quality; it was mostly a connection based thing rather than a hardware failure on my end.   Although, if the people who keep saying we need to have studio quality equipment and professionals mastering the 'casts want to send me some headphones, I'd appreciate it.

Organizing different people's voices spatially might be hard, since I think the program we're using currently records it all as one solid mp3 file.

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2009, 06:26:42 am »

I dunno, I personally felt that the beer thing would add to a sort of round table discussion of DF and assorted tangents in general.  If people just want a monthly Q&A with Toady, that's fine too.  I just wanted more of a communal discussion of whatever- especially since Toady is the absolute king of amusing tangents.  I have to admit that I was far too tired to attempt making the decanting of my first beer 'exciting' for the general populace.   Likewise, people seem to recall more of the 'fluff' things from Toady's interview, such as passing cars yelling at him, rather than the brass tacks that are usually answered on the forums.   Having a mix of B12 related content and general 'what's up gang' discussion would be preferable, I think, and keep things from being from stagnating.   Not like I plan on drinking a beer every ep.
Don't get me wrong, in terms of "DF nerdiness" I think homebrewed beer was pretty funny and on topic, it's just that in practice the moment didn't render too greatly. Moreover, some people might have a problem with alcohol. Yes an important part of DF is to keep your dwarves suitably drunk but that stays in a virtual world, just as murdering merchants to steal their goods. You wouldn't do that on a radio show to celebrate how dwarves deal with people external to their fortress, just as you might not want to turn some people off over potentially controversial subjects.

I enjoy the tangent subjects too, such as what Scamps has been up to lately, how to cook great mushroom tallow bread, that sort of stuff.

I don't think the 'sorry we sound so tired, we spent 45 minutes on nothing' thing was uncalled for, especially since this is a test run.   If the B12 community is to accurately gauge the work we're doing, they should have some idea of what's going on behind the scenes.   I don't want everyone to think we'll be half-dead all the time.   And losing 45 minutes of work is never fun.

Fair enough, as I said this was great as far as first shots/test runs go. Being frustrated was perfectly understandable, I was just regretting how the final product suffered from that in my opinion.

And yeah, my call quality kept cutting out for seconds at a time through the latter half, and generally lowering my quality; it was mostly a connection based thing rather than a hardware failure on my end.   Although, if the people who keep saying we need to have studio quality equipment and professionals mastering the 'casts want to send me some headphones, I'd appreciate it.

Organizing different people's voices spatially might be hard, since I think the program we're using currently records it all as one solid mp3 file.
I guess everyone would have to record their microphone input separately and send it over for a final mixdown, but that increases the chances of something going wrong. You could still continue to use the current method as a backup just in case. Perhaps VOIP software with a similar built in feature already exists.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2009, 07:16:25 am »

I have to admit that I was far too tired to attempt making the decanting of my first beer 'exciting' for the general populace.

That explains it.  It sounded exactly like the kind of thing I say when I'm dead tired, to which people can only reply "Okay then."  Could have turned out better if someone used it as a segue into a discussion of brewing in DF -- I was expecting that when you discussed the process, how long it took, etc.  Don't worry about it.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2009, 07:25:19 am »

I think someone needs to make Toady spend a little time listening to Fallout 3's radio stations.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2009, 07:39:37 am »

Footkerchief:  Yeah, I'd've liked to do that if I had the willpower.   I do plan on talking to Toady in private eventually about my findings, to see if he could benefit from my meagre knowledge.

Shadow Archmagi:  We'd need Three Toe to be the official voice of the wastes.

Also, ATTENTION THOSE WHO WANT TO CONTRIBUTE

We need someone to make transcripts of these.   A few people mentioned they'd be glad to, but so far no one has stepped up to the plate.   I don't know if anything special needs to be done, but just transcribing in a
"Toady:  Hey
Rainseeker:  Yo [laughter]"
style should work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5