Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #1: Feedback  (Read 32964 times)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Bay 12 Recorded Call #1: Feedback
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 12:04:52 pm »

The podcast certainly needs an intro and outro theme

Ollieh submitted some really good stuff but the upload he provided conked out and we were unable to get a handle on them before we put this one out.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 01:54:20 pm »

22:46

Finland. Heh.

EDIT: Oh hey, if you play it at 50% speed, Toady sounds like he's high!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 02:02:37 pm by Kishmond »

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 02:40:56 pm »

Just listened to it - I thought it was enjoyable and interesting. :)

One idea for the future could be to try to have each podcast explore a few pre-decided subjects (e.g. magic, technical details of the game, "the army arc", map features, guilds, whatever) with a couple of questions/answers on each subject, instead of a dozen questions about totally different things with little overall theme. So each subject could more easily have more of a conversation going on with different questions, follow-up questions and so on. Such a format would also more easily allow for Toady to talk about his vision and ideas for (e.g.) the new caves for a while, without it necessarily being in response to a specific question from a community member (although those should of course be asked as well). With follow-up questions about caves and related subjects.

Anyway, good job guys. :) It was fun to listen to.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 03:54:56 pm »

One idea for the future could be to try to have each podcast explore a few pre-decided subjects (e.g. magic, technical details of the game, "the army arc", map features, guilds, whatever) with a couple of questions/answers on each subject, instead of a dozen questions about totally different things with little overall theme. So each subject could more easily have more of a conversation going on with different questions, follow-up questions and so on. Such a format would also more easily allow for Toady to talk about his vision and ideas for (e.g.) the new caves for a while, without it necessarily being in response to a specific question from a community member (although those should of course be asked as well). With follow-up questions about caves and related subjects.

This is an excellent idea! I also agree with the people who mentioned music and a possible rss syndication.

I liked the podcast, and I found it most interesting when Toady just keeps going with a subject. At the end of a few questions, he mentioned "I think that answered the question...". I'd just like to say I fully support Toady beyond the basic question and talking some more about his ideas related to it.

Overall, I'd definitely say I liked it. For one, I actually listened to, despite never listening to podcasts. I'm looking forward to the next one!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 04:04:18 pm »

After asking my questions in the new podcast Id like to know what kind of questions get into the podcasts.

Some of the comments (Idles in particular) as well as the way the time was divided gives me the impression that not all the questions could have made it.

As well I am wondering especially for questions that are better for the future of the fortress rather then for the Podcast.

Edit addition: Hmm I think I am sounding a LOT more negative then I should be to the point where it sounds like I am accusing them of something... I assure everyone that it is not my intention. I edited the above to remove such sinicism.

As for the Pod cast itself

PLEASE no Dwarf Fortressness. I know I am probably the only one here but I had to skip over the "Beer" section. So basically ignore this... In fact if you want it more popular just make sure someone gets eaten by a Carp after falling down a well (Add Urist).

Edit addition: Uhhh... Yeah I know that is negative in essence... I'll leave it up because I am sure no one is offended. (Just losing respect for Neonivek)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 04:23:26 pm by Neonivek »

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 04:29:08 pm »

These interviews/Q&A sessions are always fun to listen to!  I'll echo others in suggesting that each month focus in on a topic or series of related topics, rather than a scattershot range of questions.  Maybe at the end of the call you could get into miscellaneous questions, but I think tightening up the focus would help things out quite a bit.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 06:30:44 pm »

PLEASE no Dwarf Fortressness. I know I am probably the only one here but I had to skip over the "Beer" section

Beer doesn't exist just in Dwarfland.   It was probably even vital to the creation of some of the sub-games.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 06:45:36 pm »

PLEASE no Dwarf Fortressness. I know I am probably the only one here but I had to skip over the "Beer" section

Beer doesn't exist just in Dwarfland.   It was probably even vital to the creation of some of the sub-games.

Well then I guess it falls under "Stay on topic"

No wait it did turn into dwarfland anyhow. (Tone of voice: Friendly Joking)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:00:53 pm by Neonivek »

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 06:56:47 pm »

Firstly - Congratulations! I think you three have been able to pull off a very successful podcast. Apart from the beer thing (sorry, that felt a bit forced), I believe you three work very well together and I enjoyed listening.

Suggestions:
1. Can we please work on improving sound quality. Over-all all three of you were very legible, but mic quality was a bit eh. I'd like to see that improve - It shouldn't take much more than finding a better place for your mic or trying a different mic.
2. I agree with some earlier posts about having some more structure. It should facilitate better discussion. Have a Toady update section, a QnA section (Possibly themed), a praise/hate email of the month of Toady's choosing, beer of the month, forum thread of the month+discussion, etc.
3. I'm thinking 80 minutes was a bit long. I don't think I can listen to anything for 80 minutes straight. Maybe aim of around the 60 minute mark. This will probably be better working towards as you learn how to manage the podcasts (and how to manage Toadys great rants hah).
4. Ads - First podcast I know, but do any of us fans do advertising as a career or have any experience? I think it would be great to have some advertising to help Toady through the month. If he gets 1000-5000 podcast downloads a month I'm sure there will be someone wiling to pay him x per download for him to say "This podcast brought to you by xxx - [2-liner on how you support the product]" in the intro and outro. I know a lot of podcasts do this. Though I do realize its a fairly niche market this podcast is running in.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 07:05:48 pm »

I was interested in the discussion of fluffy wamblers, which now have an exotic biology composed of "fluff" and "pudge".  Sample raw files were referred to, but I can't seem to find them.  I tried searching for "pudge", and found just one answer that didn't point the way, although it was in the right context.  ("Questions for my Glacier" in this subforum). 

I found some sample raws in the dev notes, but they didn't seem to include any animals.

Also, you spent some time talking about Spore.  Maybe you could mention LOVE next time? It's also an ambitious procedural game, and has been mentioned on these forums.  It's not released yet, but a demo video is out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc-MmieTyLQ)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 08:17:52 pm »

hate email of the month of Toady's choosing

Alright... This is a pretty bad idea (I know you didn't come up with it, but you were the closest quote)

Not so much that I hate it but that it is rather insulting to the people who took the time to wrote it who may even actually be a Dwarf Fortress fan. (The hate part)

It shows a lack of tact and respect. I don't think I need to go further and I hope I don't.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 09:07:21 pm »

hate email of the month of Toady's choosing

Alright... This is a pretty bad idea (I know you didn't come up with it, but you were the closest quote)

Not so much that I hate it but that it is rather insulting to the people who took the time to wrote it who may even actually be a Dwarf Fortress fan. (The hate part)

It shows a lack of tact and respect. I don't think I need to go further and I hope I don't.

Writing hate mail in the first place shows a lack of tact and respect. o,0

If they are a DF fan (or just civilized, really), then they should be able to write something with constructive criticism instead of something that would be interpreted as hate mail. And Toady probably doesn't have any hate mail anyway. ...At least, I don't think he would have any. o,0
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 09:34:57 pm »

Writing hate mail in the first place shows a lack of tact and respect

Depends how you define "Hate mail"

If someone is just saying how much they dislike Dwarf Fortress (no matter the lengths they use to say it) then really no. They are allowed to hate Dwarf Fortress A LOT.

Then you get into the people who take that a step further... Those are the ones who shouldn't be given attention.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 11:40:04 pm »

I loved it and the quality was alot better then I thought it would be. The part about magic I thought was really interesting because I had almost no idea how that would be implimented. I'm also glad that it won't be a level based thing. The part about field trips was hilarious, I pictured a group of human children walking up to a fortress all excited to see dwarves only to have a wave of magma rush at them.

Good job to you three, this is definately something i'd look forward to each month.

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2009, 09:30:00 am »

I agree my question was rather bleh, but it was what I conjured at the time and I always wondered. (orcs)

For me it is all about getting the information out there and be a bit humorous about it all if possible, and in these you all succeeded beyond my expectation; especially considering the heat.

I really enjoyed it.
So thank you and please continue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5