Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Booze River  (Read 1213 times)

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Booze River
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 12:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>It'd take 2903818 barrels of alcohol to even fill a lake unless the barrels are human-sized.</STRONG>

You can't say things like that, a specific and high accuracy number for a non specific and low accuracy question. What if the lake was exactly 123.456 litres smaller than the lake you used in your calculations, or a barrel was 2.5 litres bigger than the one you used. It would be more realistic at least to say "about 3 million"

You need to write it like this
Assumed barrel size: x
Assumed lake size: y

It'd take 2903818 barrels of alcohol to even fill a lake

Now Im going to go right ahead and say that a square is 1 meter in DF. A barrel takes up one square so it would be fair to say a barrel contains maybe 0.5m3 liquid (conserative estimate). The main pond inside the walls at my fortress is roughly  10x10x1 squares therefore 100m3 which means for me to have a beer pond in my fortress would require 200 barrels of beer. My fortress has 1300 barrels of sunshine alone so this would not be a problem.

A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 12:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Drunken:
<STRONG>The main pond inside the walls at my fortress is roughly  10x10x1 squares therefore 100m3 which means for me to have a beer pond in my fortress would require 200 barrels of beer. My fortress has 1300 barrels of sunshine alone so this would not be a problem.</STRONG>

Portable Hole Full of Beer? http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showbook&bookid=4900

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 10:44:00 pm »

In dwarf fortress, everything is a massless, elastic, curved 2d plane rather than a 3d object. This allows them to fold themselves into a 3d-like object for travel and construction while allowing an infinite amount of them to exist in a location. This also explains how a dwarf can make 1x1 a stone into a 3x3 workshop and then convert it back into a small perfectly round stone.
Pages: 1 [2]