Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Booze River  (Read 1214 times)

Nate879

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Booze River
« on: February 22, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »

It should be possible to make a river out of booze.  This would take a lot of booze, but could be a cool way to distribute booze throughout your fortress.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don''t.<P>The ultimate fate of the universe.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Booze River
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

Planned, actually.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzlemaker:
<STRONG>Planned, actually.</STRONG>

*a dwarf comes stumbling through the hall, then falls over hiccuping*
"Thikut, I told you to stop getting drunk!"
"He didn't, he fell into the beer river"

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 06:47:00 am »

It'd take 2903818 barrels of alcohol to even fill a lake unless the barrels are human-sized.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>It'd take 2903818 barrels of alcohol to even fill a lake unless the barrels are human-sized.</STRONG>

They probably are at least dwarf sized, look at how one just barely fits into a tile!

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 01:50:00 am »

...But that same tile can also hold a half-dozen other barrels, several thousand rocks, a bunch of dwarves, three dragons and a caged bronze colossus.

I'm pretty sure discussing the scale of DF is totally meaningless. =)

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 03:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by grelphy:
<STRONG>...But that same tile can also hold a half-dozen other barrels, several thousand rocks, a bunch of dwarves, three dragons and a caged bronze colossus.

I'm pretty sure discussing the scale of DF is totally meaningless. =)</STRONG>

Note also that this same tile is not large enough for 2  kittens to walk past each other without one having to lie down to let the other crawl past.

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 03:45:00 am »

Though an unlimited number of kittens can be lying underneath the standing one in the same tile.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

vanarbulax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 03:47:00 am »

I reckon somebody can start a new branch of geometry based entirely on the relative proportions in dwarf fortress.

[ February 24, 2008: Message edited by: vanarbulax ]

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 10:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by vanarbulax:
<STRONG>I reckon somebody can start a new branch of geometry based entirely on the relative proportions in dwarf fortress.</STRONG>

Obviously, the energy/matter composition is different in the DF universe compared to ours, this offsetting the natural laws we are familiar with.

<STRONG>"Note also that this same tile is not large enough for 2 kittens to walk past each other without one having to lie down to let the other crawl past." ... "Though an unlimited number of kittens can be lying underneath the standing one in the same tile." </STRONG>

This is easily explained with adapting Quantum Mechanics to the observed DF contingencies. The stacked kittens, along with barrels and dragons, are in a state of superposition. If stacked with a dragon in a barrel, whether the cat is alive or dead can only be known when observing it. To avoid the observation effect creatures in DF have learned to duck and cover in confrontations. Thus utterly natural and eminently physically explainable

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 10:56:00 am »

Why is it that Schrödinger's cat is so popular on the internet?  And who put those weird illustrations in the Wikipedia article?

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 11:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Why is it that Schrödinger's cat is so popular on the internet?  And who put those weird illustrations in the Wikipedia article?</STRONG>

Because the people who go on the internet are the same people who find the idea of cats in boxes hilarious.  :p

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Why is it that Schrödinger's cat is so popular on the internet?  And who put those weird illustrations in the Wikipedia article?</STRONG>

You have to admit, those are pretty awesome pictures for the concept.

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 03:49:00 pm »

As amusing as it would be to drown my dwarves in a river of booze while listening to "Whiskey River", I hope this isn't given a high priority. Too many new features makes for a game that never leaves Alpha. Of course, this game IS being made by someone who gave carp uber-awesome-sauce powers, so this might be considered more important than artifact arcs and such.   :D

[ February 24, 2008: Message edited by: Romantic Warrior ]

Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 06:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Romantic Warrior:
<STRONG>Of course, this game IS being made by someone who gave carp uber-awesome-sauce powers</STRONG>

Toady admits to having made a mistake in that regard: giving carp the default bite (used for things like tigers).

Pages: [1] 2