Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reasons for Remembering  (Read 2028 times)

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reasons for Remembering
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:13:21 pm »

(For the question, Skip to the bottom)
Before I ask the question I want to ask, you need !BACKGROUND! (picture it in a rainbow like curve above my head when i say it, makes it more dramatic :D)

I had a girlfriend around a year ago and we loved each other and it was all good, she experimented on the lesbian side of life and she didn't like it and that's where we started. 3 months later, school started again, her Ex didn't like me and thought i was going to use her and etc... They stopped talking and only started talk at school and then started hanging out again, 1 month later, she breaks up with me.... the day i total my car, sucks right.

Well you think thats it, well no, about 2 months later, they are going out again. I thought i was paranoid but it was true and i lost it, my anti depressants stopped having any effect on me for months, then I forgot about her. Life moved on and I was content. I realize now, i blocked memories of her and saved myself from pure insanity or worse.

Now, It is August 6th, 2009, For the past 3 months all I can think about is her and our time together and i can't seem to stop. I have dreams about her, we are like we use to be. I am constantly in a slump, i put a smile on for friends and family but i am truly sad.

QUESTION:
Why would i be remembering her now, We graduated, I won't see her anymore!
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reasons for Remembering
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 10:37:05 pm »

From what I understand about memory (Which is like nothing, but I'm taking this from personal experience), you will forget most things in life unless they have a great significance to you.

It could be possible that you still wish she was in your life and are sad you probably won't see her again in your life.  Something could also be significant to you that reminds you of her when ever you see it.

For dreaming about her, don't dreams usually revolve around the last thing that you think of before falling asleep?  I really don't know, but someone else probably has a better idea as to why then me.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 01:07:41 am »

Your brain has a horrible tendency to recall past events for no reason in particular.

There maybe something triggering it, or it could just be your brain doing it's own thing and the side effect is the dreams.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 03:04:52 am »

For dreaming about her, don't dreams usually revolve around the last thing that you think of before falling asleep? 

Doubt it, most of my dreams have nothing to do with what I was thinking about in bed, otherwise I would be having more death and sex dreams.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 03:26:37 am »

Memory is totally random. I still remember my seatmate from Grade 1 but can't remember what in the name of god I was supposed to review for my midterms next week.

As to dreams, I had a dream about pizza after eating pizza a few days before. What I mean to say is, the dream trigger can be displaced really far from the actual dream.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 03:56:26 am »

My hypothesis is, that dreams are the brain taking everything it didn't have time to think about, mixed togeather into one explanation, and then calling it a day.

I think you havn't told us, what you don't know.

Why did she break up with you?
Why did sho go back to her ex?

You brain is trying to figure these things out "behind the scene", and this why you are dreaming about her.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 04:02:05 pm »

Why did she break up with you?
Why did sho go back to her ex?

both are yes
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 01:32:02 am »

By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Egil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 10:47:27 am »

I know nothing about psychology, but you said that you blocked the whole incident out for months right? Then it came flooding back recently, kinda seems to me like your brain simply waited some months until you became a bit more stable again before it started to properly process your grief.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 10:20:06 am »

Stick it out, I suppose. Not really the most useful piece of advice, but it works and makes you stronger in the long run. Well, more resistant to break-ups at least.

3 months of remembering is kinda normal though. I've gone up to 4 years to get over some.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 10:24:25 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 10:34:24 am »

I've got bad memories about my ex and couldn't block 'em until I've met my future-wife. And then it suddenly stopped.

That's it, probably you're tired of being alone. It should pass once you find someone you like, until then your dirty manwhore brain craves for oops I've gone too far, I mean your manly brain needs to think about a woman you like, and you still like her if you think about her.

At least it would be right for me, there was no day in my life after 3rd class which I spent without thinking about some woman I like and want...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository