Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underground Gardens?  (Read 630 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Underground Gardens?
« on: August 06, 2009, 09:04:09 pm »

Is there any way to get plants to grow underground? I don't mean food stuff like plump helmets, I mean things like trees, shrubs and grass. I want to make a subterranean  garden for my dwarfs, that will stay there year-round.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Gardens?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:05:32 pm »

Tower Caps are the only trees.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 09:12:36 pm »

read the wiki for tower cap farming, or search the boards.

Many shrubs grow on the farms, on their own volition, so you're covered :)
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 09:20:13 pm »

trees and srubs will grow. one of my currend projects is an underground park, with trees, grass, and running water and pools filled with fish
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 09:32:28 pm »

On the surface, channel out a large area into a layer of loose sediment... Sand, Loam, Peat, etc. Roof it over with any convenient material... Green Glass Blocks are good for role-playing a sunken green-house, but any material will work, even if not transparent. Trees, grass and shrubs will then grow in the soil of your sunken green-house.
Never pet a burning dog.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 09:36:38 pm »

Hmm... it is near my moat. Maybe I can divert water from there into the area to muddy it...
On the surface, channel out a large area into a layer of loose sediment... Sand, Loam, Peat, etc. Roof it over with any convenient material... Green Glass Blocks are good for role-playing a sunken green-house, but any material will work, even if not transparent. Trees, grass and shrubs will then grow in the soil of your sunken green-house.

Since the garden will be located underneath the bazaar(which contains all my workshops and will be the center of my economy after DE kicks in) that's kinda impossible.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 09:53:24 pm »

grass and shrubs wont grow due to the fact that the room you are building counts as "underground", in order to make it count as aboveground and therefore allow aboveground plants to grow on it you need to channel down to the room and roof it over with glass or any other material, it'l still be dark but it'l be aboveground dark.

hope that helps
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!