Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When Sieges go wrong  (Read 1683 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When Sieges go wrong
« on: August 06, 2009, 06:29:47 pm »

Ok so I tried a bit of modding and I caused a siege to come at 7000 wealth on my first early summer. There was 10 spearmen and 4 wrestlers. I am surprised at the lack of diversity and pissed that they are all really skilled. Locked myself inside (only 7 dwarves) but the siegers arn't leaving so I really hope my two slightly skilled guys can take them. anyone care to share their tales of horrible un-provoked attacks?
Nom nom nom

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Sieges go wrong
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 06:40:32 pm »

One marksdwarf from an elevated position can break the siege. You have any construction that might accommodate that?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 06:47:51 pm »

na I was just starting the inner wall when the siege came.........  :'(
Nom nom nom

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 06:48:08 pm »

Keep them off duty so they keep training.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 06:52:20 pm »

See, when I got my first orc siege on this one fortress, I had been setting up this immense diversion route-something where, when I closed a set of floodgates, all traffic in and out of the fort got diverted from a one-tile-long route from staircase to staircase, to a huge hallway a couple hundred tiles. I locked the front door, then rigged it into a drownitorium by diverting the plumbing for my farm (fed by a windmill/pump from a brook, this setup being contained in a walled enclosure). This worked pretty well, and this fort broke several sieges until one day one lucky orc wrestler and his GIANT WOLF SPIDER MOUNT broke away from the pack and got out before the chamber sealed. He was eventually beaten, but he killed like eight dwarves and nearly put me into a tantrum spiral. I got tired of the fort, since several of my better workers got eaten by the spider and the rest of the dwarves were being whiny brats about their poor lovers and best friends getting spidered to death, so I opened the floodgates and diverted the brook into the fort.

Stayed awake for two hours watching the place flood. It was glorious. The last batch sheltered in the drownitorium, built butcher shops, and butchered all the surviving animals, then waited for the water to claim them. One dwarf, trapped in his bedroom with 5/7 water, survived long after two or three entire levels above him were completely submerged. Made it to proficient swimmer before he died of either thirst or starvation-I remember finding that dwarves wouldn't drink water on their own level.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 09:02:31 pm »

Dig to a stone wall overlooking the siege, smooth, and carve fortifications.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 09:03:56 pm »

Dedicate two of the most useless of them to wrestle.  Give them any basic armor and especially a shield, even if wood.  Let them go for a few seasons while you wait for the siege to break.  After they hit high enough Wrestling and Shield, give 'em a weapon, let 'em train for a bit, and eventually, let them loose.  They'll probably both die from wounds out there without metal armor, but it'll likely break the siege.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 11:18:13 pm »

A similar tale?

Year two. I'd just gotten settled in, got the entrance sealable, and got a few dwarves training, although I didn't have any sort of equipment for them beyond leather armour.
Summer rolled around, and I was hoping like crazy the humans would be understanding because their diplomat/liason had turned up sans a hand and been torn apart due to going mad next to the guard dog.
Bowmen and wrestlers.
I tried sallying forth, and got the military killed.
One savescum later, I went a-digging. Copper, magma pipe, hematite. Fucking score. Armour, weapons, training all the while. Sally forth, weather the arrows, lose a dwarf... Then engage the wrestlers. Bowmen out of ammo, they were dealt with in short order. Phew.

Year 3. More humans siege. Bigger force, swordsmen, bowmen, and wrestlers. All mounted.
Clever tactics got me through, because I'd had a migrant wave that year. More losses, but that broke the human will to siege.

My advice is to train a military and dig like mad to find metal, but I think you're screwed.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 11:44:22 pm »

If you have ANY Obsidian anywhere, you might not be completely screwed.  An obsidian sword is about the same as a steel sword, it just costs alot less and is easier to make.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

PotatoMuncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 02:14:30 am »

why don't you make some sort of trap while you're stuck in there? like a new entrance that can be sealed, and flooded, or even weapon/stonefall trapped to kill your siege?
I think we found the only thing stupider than a dwarf.
Ladies and Gentlemen; Wagons can run shit over.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 03:32:20 am »

If you only have one entrance, I suggest you build a pair of walls to force the invaders down a specific path. Line that path with traps. Then open the entrance.

(This'd work better if you had cage traps, though)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 04:13:35 am »

War dogs.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 01:28:11 pm »

I got tired of the fort, since several of my better workers got eaten by the spider and the rest of the dwarves were being whiny brats about their poor lovers and best friends getting spidered to death, so I opened the floodgates and diverted the brook into the fort.

You need one mad dwarf to run around screaming, "Armok grows weary of your emo ways!"

Then after you flood the fort, he gives the "I warned you" speech like Tim the Enchanter.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 01:38:44 pm »

If you only have one entrance, I suggest you build a pair of walls to force the invaders down a specific path. Line that path with traps. Then open the entrance.

(This'd work better if you had cage traps, though)

Yes, definitely traps are the way to go if there's no way to get a marksdwarf overlooking the siege. If the entrance doesn't lend itself to this design, you can set up an alternate entrance. Dig a long tunnel out to some other location, and line it with simple stone-fall traps. Then breach the surface. The invaders will swarm into the new location, and when they're all dispatched you can go back and surround the other entrance with walls so they can't use it again--or you could even go all-out and make it a tower, so the next siege will let you train up some marksdwarves.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 01:52:28 pm »

I finally remembered the old bridge crusher trap and low and behold managed to get em all with one shot and as a bonus I crushed two cats yay me..... wait no no nooooo not a tantrum.. phew he has no friends.
Nom nom nom
Pages: [1] 2