Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: how do you want the magic system to?  (Read 4597 times)

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
Re: how do you want the magic system to?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 02:19:00 pm »

Yeah, the deity thing sounds good, but for the magic-sparring, I'd say theyd learn in an archery range, or a library. Carpenter would make the shelves. Books? I don't know where they would come from.
Tome-maker profession.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 02:27:28 pm »

Eurgh, the gods and the mages should be completely separate. A god should grant you boons based on how nice a temple room is, while mages should do it some other way. ANY other way.
I'd personally prefer an integrated diety/magic/belief system. Integration means a more synergistic world; What affects one affects the other. Perhaps the Diety's shrine quality, +sacrifices, +prayer (civilians assigned to pray in the temple), +blood sacrifices (if their alignment calls for it). Perhaps all that would accumulate a sort of MP, or maybe even just all of that would influence the rate at which various reagents would spawn.

All that said, I'm all for a magic system that's organic. I feel the best magic system is one where there is no formal institution of named spells, only shaping of magical forces to do  the bidding of the wizard. He doesn't cast a 5th level Abra Cadabra, shooting lightning dealing 2d6 damage, he shapes electrical magick in to lightning, dealing damage based on the amount of electrical energy he has access to, along with his experience in dealing with such magic.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 02:29:13 pm »

Personally I'm fine without magic. There's FINNALY a game such as this feturing a somewhat realistic system instead of a bunch of blockes saying 'hocus pocus'and incinerating the entire map. If toady 'activates' wizards, I'm modding them out.
Hello Hunam

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 03:18:36 pm »

Or you could systematically destroy them from your world via Fortresses and Adventurer.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 05:07:39 pm »

I see several ways it could be implemented. I'll list my three favorites:

1) Alchemy. Certain creatures bones, blood, etc. could  be used to create potions. These could range pixies to dark gnomes to dragons. Since you would have to kill or capture various monsters to get the magic, it wouldn't be a substitute for a good old fashoned military, and it wouldn't become mundane.

2) Scrolls. Runemakers would need at least an office, preferably something like a library, were they spend hours of end transcribing magical scrolls. Early on they could only make mundane spells to do things like enchant statues to give dwarves happy thoughts, though as they become more experienced they get the ability to enchant weapons, armor, or even powerful magical weapons like lightning or fireballs.

3) Mages. These dwarves would technically be military, though they would have some tasks that can benefit the fortress like improving the happines sof dwarves, making them work faster, better harvests, etc. Instead of sparring or shooting in their offtime they would be in a library, studying.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 05:56:55 pm »

Yeah low magic is definately the best. The best part will be enchanted weapons and armour with elemental powers. The suggestion of slowly summoning demons and things was really good too.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 05:58:10 pm »

A little off topic but I thought magic wasn't going to be implemented for a while. Maybe I'm just crazy though.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 06:45:09 pm »

personnally I'd like to see gods/alchemy more then spells at this point since both already have a foot in the door. Dwarves already can get venom form captured spiders and odd extracts from fish and plants, so an alchemy system would make good use of otherwise usless items. For the god system I mean the freaking game is called God of Blood yet has of this point It completely lacks any temple system even though you see temples of other races in adventure mode. Even if all alchemy did was cure poison and heal faster and all the gods system did was attract more followers it would still be alot better.
Nom nom nom

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 09:58:16 pm »

personnally I'd like to see gods/alchemy more then spells at this point since both already have a foot in the door. Dwarves already can get venom form captured spiders and odd extracts from fish and plants, so an alchemy system would make good use of otherwise usless items. For the god system I mean the freaking game is called God of Blood yet has of this point It completely lacks any temple system even though you see temples of other races in adventure mode. Even if all alchemy did was cure poison and heal faster and all the gods system did was attract more followers it would still be alot better.
I would love more religious options, especially if it's sort of like greek/norse mythology were there are many gods and you can pick which one(s) to worship in your fort. You could build a great multigod panthenon that makes all the dwarves happy, several temples to various gods, or dedicate all the temples and shrines in your fortress to one god. You could even have priests try to convert dwarves to the main diety of your fortress, which would either succeed(giving both the priest and convertee a happy thought) or fail(giving the nonconvert an unhappy thought).

Also, it would be nice if when you make statues, the the made would depend on the dwarf. So for example, a religious dwarf might makes statues of their god, while one that believes in dwarvenly virtues would make one of legendary dwarves, and some really artistic ones would make abstract statues, etc.  You could then place these appropriately in your temples.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 11:12:50 pm »

I'd like the magic system to in a way that my dwarves don't accidentally themselves.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 11:33:47 pm »

On the subject of gods, how about we make it so you're more likely to get dwarves who believe in the god your shrine/temple is to?

How about the ability to build one tile large shrines to put into rooms allowing dwarves to worship and gain a happy thought?  Make dwarves who believe in war gods get bonuses when fighting, believers in agricultural gods will be more likely to immigrate in being farmers (maybe a bonus to their farming skill due to special ways they've learned to plant?), things like that.

In extreme cases they could gain a job title like, "Avatar of Armok".  In such a case, dwarves who believe in that god will gain more happy thoughts from talking to the "avatar".  And perhaps the "avatar" could have a mission similar to mooded dwarves.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 12:01:42 am »

Perhaps magic would be limited to one or more special "nobles" types. (e.g. wizard, rune smith, potion master, or whatever) Though they may be able to pass some of it on to other dwarves, either by training, or being making potions, runes etc, for them.

I envision that it would be fairly random whether any of these guys show up , though you'd probably get some sort of magic user by around the time king shows up.
Akur Akir Akam!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 12:22:56 am »

My favorite idea in this thread so far is RNG's alchemy. Only thing is I don't really know what sort of effect it would have.

Of my own though: Runes.
Seriously, this is like the awesomest magic that never gets done right, but could easily in DF. Have your legendary engraver put defensive runes in the courtyard, your military get some sort of dodge bonus. Put runes of hammer and forge where you do metalwork, runes of the sustenance plenty near the farms, runes of fortitude in the hospital, runes of warding by the elephants. Small bonuses that add up, perhaps on a decreasing scale, but a benefit nonetheless. It works, should be (relatively) easy to do, and doesn't change the game into something fundamentally different.

Religion could work similarly, with worshipers getting certain bonuses depending on the god in question. Effect based on time, rather than proximity.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 06:02:22 am »

Silly people. Magic's already in the game. That's how the fortresses can be supported by a pillar of soap and miners move through rock as quickly as through air.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2009, 12:58:24 pm »

If there was a rune master noble, she/he should arrive with a caravan of books, and an apprentice or two...if it all went that way, of course.  Their only real requirement for their room would be a dozen bookcases.  If workshops ever become rooms designated from objects, then the Rune Master would probably demand that they get assigned an alchemists laboratory.  I prefer the alchemical take of RNG, a good way of balancing typical over-powered magic with learnable gameplay and Fun.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6