Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind Redux suggestions.  (Read 51156 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind Redux suggestions.
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2010, 02:16:52 am »

I can be fairly sure that I don't have to worry about FPS with my machine right now.

But damn. That second list is definitely going in the TO-DO pile. I may just redo the entire installation to get it right, because I'm still having some issues with what I've got right now. I know it's not a problem with the distant statics generated; the objects vanish when I get closer... Maybe it's missing near LOD's for the objects. If so, that's an easy fix.

It's quite possible to take things too far even with a very modern machine. The blame is entirely Morrowind's frankly poor coding. The rendering is notoriously inefficient and we all know about the crashing problems in vanilla. However, I think they've finally gotten enough optimization into MGE and enough speed from modern hardware to allow some frankly silly options, but I do know just two years ago EVERYONE said that they were having FPS problems with using distant land with HDR and moving grass and high-res textures and whatever. All the pretty screenshots had single digit FPS. Nowadays, while I'm still 100% confident those "whole island" screenshots are also single digit FPS, you can probably get away with all that crazy graphics stuff and still have a playable FPS in normal scenarios. I don't really know since my machine can't even do distant land set to minimum distance.

You don't have to redo everything but redoing your distant land and distant statics generation might help out. And if you need a break, play around with a different texture pack. Hey, why not? I like Visual Pack XT but looking at it for 6 months straight made me try out Ultimate Textures Complete v3, which is frankly awesome. The textures seem to fit in better. Much more atmospheric.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2010, 05:48:22 am »

You must not have seen the screenshots I provided earlier. I had all those bells and whistles, and my FPS remained matched to my refresh rate.
!!&!!

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2010, 07:57:35 am »

You must not have seen the screenshots I provided earlier. I had all those bells and whistles, and my FPS remained matched to my refresh rate.
Just curious... could you give me your computer specs?
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 13, 2010, 07:12:45 pm »

Windows 7
Intel Core I7 930 @ 2.8 Gigahertz, 4 cores, 8 threads.

4GB Kingston Single Channel DDR3 Ram

Nvidia GTX 470

Those are the relevant bits.

Also relevant is my 1920 X 1080 LED monitor, which defines the resolution of the screenshots I'll be taking.
!!&!!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 14, 2010, 02:28:02 am »

I saw them, but not only was I not interested in the FPS, I also didn't notice any shader chains applied. That might be because you weren't using any, maybe they don't show up well on still pictures, but I bet the most likely reason is just that I don't know what they'd look like even if you were using them and they did show up plain as day. Probably the last two; motion blur doesn't show on screenshots, now does it?

Older versions of MGE had really slow performance. Then when a new development team took over they made it MUCH more efficient. I think that's what happened anyways, I'm probably wrong. Point is, I'm still sometimes incorrectly basing my assumptions of the Morrowind modding landscape based on how it was 2 years ago when I was paying closer attention and actually played the game. Back then it was endless complaints of low FPS and people claiming they could run Crisis on high but couldn't do distant land past 9 cells. The times, they have a change-ed.

What's that? You want gorgeous over-the-top awesome weapons? Try this out. The author has also done a near complete set of armor and creature mods, but they're all seperate and a bit trickier to install. I'll walk you through it if you want since I've done it before. I have to recommend at least trying these out. Don't believe me? Install one and look at that full armor set. The other armors will just look pathetic in comparison.

EDIT: Wow, nasty mistake I've left in there for awhile.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:05:52 pm by Mr.Person »
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 24, 2010, 10:20:43 am »

bump
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 24, 2010, 09:09:43 pm »

Gimme some time, I started working again. I'm completely free next Friday through Sunday, though. I've got everything ready to go and plan to play over the course of this week. I'll start a new Tread with the new LP in it at the end of the week after I weed through the screen shots and write something passable.
!!&!!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]