Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind Redux suggestions.  (Read 51183 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play... The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2009, 05:38:55 am »

One step at a time. I got the day's worth of play in now, my arm's not feeling like crap. Due to the break in flow, things may seem a tad disjointed, as I accidentally loaded a quicksave that put me back five minutes in one place, but it shouldn't be a big deal

It's too early to focus on uploading and writing the post right now though. Don't worry though, I can tell you this one has a bit more action in it than the previous ones. Even freaked me out.

Edit: I also just now realized it's possible to set MGE to take screenshots in Jpg. Uploading to tinypic will be roughly 1000 times faster.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 05:47:15 am by Ampersand »
!!&!!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2009, 06:25:46 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Balmora is a nice town, but now that I have a bit of cash on hand and a little liquid security in the form of potions from the Fighter's Guild, I feel it's time to stake out and explore a little, get a feel for Vvardenfell, at least as far as my legs will take me, before returning back to fulfill my duties to the guild.

First, I head north, to Caldera. Suffice it to say, I don't spend much time there, other than to browse the local wares, to find most of it utter crap. I pass straight through, northward, to what, I'm not quite sure.

Eventually, however, I think I can just make a giant enemy crab in the distance. I'm mistaken, of course it's just a building made out of a giant enemy crab. Ald'ruhn.
Of course, the second I dare to step foot in the city, a horrible duststorm kicks up. I think I've changed my mind; Vvardenfell Sucks. I poke around halfheartedly, but book a ride on the next silt-strider to Balmora. The quicker I'm out of here, the better.
When we arrive, I immediately resign myself to another job from the Fighters guild. It promises to pay out enough to almost double my current funds. I accept quickly. It seems a bit more risky than the previous ones, though; four Telvanni agents in a cave north of the Caldera Ebony mine.
No big deal. I passed by the place, earlier. Incidentally, I think all this mindless running around is getting me moving a little faster. Maybe it's my imagination.

In any case, I set out for Caldera again. I'd rather show up during the day, so I poke out a place outside of Balmora to rest for the night. I don't make it all the way through before I wake up to find a rat gnawing on my foot. As I sit up to grab my blade and knick it away, a loud 'Thowng' sound reverberates through the air from where my head was only moments prior. In the midnight darkness, I can see a figure running towards me, brandishing a small dagger. Holy shit, I'm being assassinated!
He knocks me around pretty bad, but somehow, I get a lucky shot in, and he flies backward, his chest ripped open. I stand, shaking, over my assassins body, only just having the mechanical presence of mind to search his body for clues... Hey. This is light armor. Really, really good light armor! I don't think he's going to be missing it. I take it from his body, but decide it best to clean it before wearing it. I hurry back to Balmora, feeling safer there than Caldera and, report the incident to a guard, who recommends I travel to Ebonheart to seek aid of the Empire directly. I may just be in over my head.

I check into the South Wall Corner Club, get a bed for myself, and sleep profoundly through the night... I feel different somehow, when I wake up.
Every day of my life leading up to this dawn was just a fleeting shadow, meandering, without guide or purpose. The Dark Brotherhood, for reasons I cannot possibly even begin to fathom, wants me dead. The general response from the guards is shock that I am actually still alive, and a recommendation that I not get comfortable with that. Something about this kind of situation makes a person change inside, makes one focus, realize what's important. As I dawn the Assassins' armor, and make muddy tracks through the rain for the Ebony mine, I realize that, for the very first time, I am alive.
!!&!!

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2009, 07:28:24 am »

Cool. I didn't realize the Brotherhood was in Vvardenfell.  Every time I played I got so bored it quickly turned into a killing spree.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2009, 07:42:15 am »

They were added in with one of the expansion packs. Tribunal, I think. It took my by surprise, as I never had the expansion packs before.
!!&!!

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2009, 07:45:41 am »

Wow, they used the same level up messages in oblivion. Thats kinda unimaginative. Also nice job. Keep kicking ass for the fighters guild.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2009, 08:18:33 am »

Actually, the fighters guild is going to be a dead end as far as advancement goes, at least for now. I'm scouting out Hlaalu for the moment, thinking about the MT too.

Also, here's a closeup of the Dark Brotherhood armor I stole. It's obviously a remesh/texture of the original. The mod is just a texture/mesh replacer, and all the stats are the same as they were in vanilla tribunal.

http://i31.tinypic.com/dcr1j4.jpg
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 08:24:43 am by Ampersand »
!!&!!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2009, 08:35:50 am »

That is much better than vanilla.

>Consider enchanting as a side profession.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2009, 08:42:17 am »

You got some pretty good textures going on there. The distant view makes it all even better, I have to say. This motivates me to try getting distant view to work on my shitty machine.

Alright, so I might of been a little harsh on the Redoran, but I really do think they aren't worth it. Also, join the Mages Guild. You won't be able to advance far, but they give discounts to members, you can take the guild supplies chest, and none of their quests actually require magic. Sadly, the Mages Guild gives dishes out absolutely terrible rewards, so it's your call. I think the Thieves Guild might be your best bet for now.

If you want to join the Morag Tong, good luck finding them. I know where you're supposed to be able to join, but I've never actually found the place.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2009, 08:51:23 am »

I appreciate everyone's input, but I am kind of surprised no one's ragging on the picture quality, or lack thereof. I'm not sure how I can make the screenshots come out brighter. If anyone has an idea, let me know.
!!&!!

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2009, 08:54:12 am »

Two words: post processing.
And by that I mean photoshop.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2009, 08:55:28 am »

I suppose I could get The Gimp again and fiddle with all the pictures before uploading them. Or at least the ones that lack the proper degree of contrast. I'm just hoping on there being another method.
!!&!!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2009, 09:08:24 am »

I suppose I could get The Gimp again and fiddle with all the pictures before uploading them. Or at least the ones that lack the proper degree of contrast. I'm just hoping on there being another method.

It's the fact they're jpgs. Jpgs are shit.

Oh, you mean for contrast? Is the game itself bright enough for you to see but the screenshots come out really dark?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2009, 09:12:11 am »

Turn yous monitors brightness down and the games brightness up?
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2009, 09:24:48 am »

[Nevermind, I've got it figured out. Expect picture quality to markedly improve. But they'll remain jpegs. I know compression artifacts are teh loze, but, having them as jpegs makes them particularly easy to fix. Also, tinypic automatically converts them to Jpeg anyway. I may bump the picture size up another notch, though. just for the sake of it.]

Alive. And I have a job to do. Back to Caldera, I ask around about how to get to the mine. I'm instructed to either go around the nearby mountain range, or go over it. I opt to go over it.

The cave should be north of the mining complex, not to far away from the main building. There's a side road, a wood elf in cheap armor is standing in the middle of it by himself, with an obvious door to a cave complex behind him. Acting on instinct, I rush over to him to see if he requires assistance, or if he's one of the people I have to kill.

As it turned out, he'd one of the people I have to kill. He whips a bow out on me, and fires a few ineffectual arrows in my direction. I run up to him, and slash him about with my Wakizashi until he collapses from bloodloss. I check his body for valuables. Find none. The other three must be inside.

They are. Two of them have enchanted weapons. If not for my potions, the three of them would have made short work of me, but after the first two fell, the last was easy to dispatch. I check their bodies for valuables. a scroll, some potions, enchanted weapons, none of which would fetch much. But then, I investigate the room as a whole. A couple chests that are simple to unlock, and several free crates and barrels yield a few dozen coins, an enchanted amulet, a few soul gems... And a loooot of alcohol.

I notice a deep pool in the back, and quickly realize that there's more to this place than meets the eye. What better place to hide something for long term storage than down a deep shaft of water. After a short dive down, after fighting off a couple of slaughterfish, my suspicions are confirmed. It's too deep, though, and worried about drowning, I decide to leave it be, for now.

I leave the cave system beaten up pretty badly from the encounter with the three Telvanni agents down there. I was out of potions to assist my recovery, so I curled up against a rock, and tried to get some rest for a while.

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-
!!&!!

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2009, 10:32:35 am »

STAB HIM LIKE THE FIST OF THE MOTHERFUCKING NORTH STAR