Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Pirating, your opinion.  (Read 12501 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pirating, your opinion.
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2009, 02:20:18 pm »

I can suggest a policy equal to NeoGaf.

Ban people for admitting that they pirate games.  Temp ban or something.  Though, it puts more work in Toadies hands....
It is probably better off in the end that talk of piracy be purposefully heavily derailed or ignored by members.  No problems need be made.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2009, 02:24:20 pm »

How about if you know you wouldn't buy the game?

Well you don't know in most cases. But it doesn't really make it right to me but it makes it ignorable.

I remember reading a study that people who pirate music are apparently eight time more likely to actually buy it or something similar.

Yes but that was an independent study made by a highly qualified group of people with no connections to the Video Game Industry and thus was biased

Actually it isn't so much Biased as it is meaningless with a biased implied conclusion.

It all has to do with the fact of "Who is the one Pirating music?"

The reality is that most people who pirate are the people who also take Videogames or music as a hobby and thus they would buy the most games/music. Same with anyone who takes games/music as a hobby who don't pirate. (also 8 times more likely then the average person is rather low)

The Bias comes from painting it as "The act of Piracy itself makes people buy more games". Which the scientists better feel lucky this wasn't a racial study because I do not want to see the results on that nor the reaction once people see it.

That's why piracy is the same as stealing.

Uhh... No... Piracy is stealing.

You see the game itself is the property of the company that made it, when you make a copy via pirating they own that copy.

So you are stealing from them. Your stealing their rights to their own property at minimum.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2009, 02:35:31 pm »

Piracy isn't really true theft though, because it's possible to pirate without the company losing something, if you pirate something you would never have bought the company hasn't even lost a sale. Compare to if I go into a supermarket and steal a game CD that supermarket can no longer sell the CD. Piracy is intellectual theft which in my opinion shouldn't be classed as theft at all. I'm stealing their right to be the sole producer of that game which is an entirely different kettle of fish.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2009, 02:38:55 pm »

Piracy isn't really true theft though

Theft involves you taking possessions or property. Your only dealing with ONE of those.

When you make a copy everything on that disk is their property.

When you prevent the company access to use their property and you chose to possess it against their will in what way isn't it theft?

Edit addition: Opps you already said it was Theft... No wait.. you said it shouldn't...

"I'm stealing their right to be the sole producer of that game which is an entirely different kettle of fish"

It actually stems from property rights not from intellectual rights (which is more recent).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 02:43:32 pm by Neonivek »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2009, 02:44:09 pm »

Yes but copying 100 disks and selling them at $30 each means your taking money away from the company that put all that work into it....Also im pretty sure the EULA or something like that says that you will not distribute copys of this game or thats its against the law or something.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2009, 02:46:21 pm »

When you prevent the company access to use their property and you chose to possess it against their will in what way isn't it theft?

And in what way does making a copy of some data prevent the company from accessing that data?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2009, 02:48:49 pm »

in what way does making a copy of some data prevent the company from accessing that data?

OOH!!! I didn't think you would say this. Equivocating the original with the copy.

Simple do they have access to the disk or your computer?

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2009, 02:49:40 pm »

I can suggest a policy equal to NeoGaf.

Ban people for admitting that they pirate games.  Temp ban or something.  Though, it puts more work in Toadies hands....
It is probably better off in the end that talk of piracy be purposefully heavily derailed or ignored by members.  No problems need be made.
Or we can be friendly and not talk about how to pirate things as if you don't know how, you shouldn't do it.

Banning people for admitting that they somehow procured a game off from the internet through illicit means is a stupid rule that only would classify people who crimethink piracy as unpersons.
---

Anyway, most people do know if they would or would not buy a game, however the trying of the game could very well change their mind. Now most people will just say "Hey, I actually like this game" and not buy it because they already have it, but a lot of people will also go out and buy the official game, especially if there is incentive for buying the game. An example would be to actually be able to play online with people.

And in what way does making a copy of some data prevent the company from accessing that data?
Invasive DRM, of course.
You prevent the company from getting into your computer to make sure your copy is legal, and if it isn't they'll try to disable it.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2009, 02:52:16 pm »

Simple do they have access to the disk or your computer?

Fuck no. And in case I have a legal copy, fuck no as well. So your point is...?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2009, 02:57:43 pm »

your point is...?

I dont... need... to go further...

So I think I just failed to project my point OR we are both using different definition.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2009, 03:03:55 pm »

Well I really don't see it. The company has no right to access anything on my computer, regardless of what copy protection scheme their product uses. Sure, I may not be able to use their product if I don't allow the online activation and whatnot (and I should point out the vast majority of software actually does allow for an offline activation), but they don't have a right to that. I can choose to allow or disallow it as I please.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2009, 03:12:45 pm »

I don't get what you 2 are trying to say...But again, doesn't the EULA or box say that you can't make copies?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2009, 03:15:45 pm »

in what way does making a copy of some data prevent the company from accessing that data?

OOH!!! I didn't think you would say this. Equivocating the original with the copy.
actually, either it is equal, in which case they have access, or it isn't in which case you previous point (about property rights) is if not invalid, not entirely correct.

P.S.
Spoiler:  grammar naziness (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 03:20:19 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2009, 03:21:01 pm »

Alright this discussion has degenerated too much for me... We are already getting people correcting grammar while using equally bad grammar.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2009, 03:23:44 pm »

But again, doesn't the EULA or box say that you can't make copies?

For the EULA to be applicable you'd have to agree to it, which a pirate obviously isn't going to do. But yes, the law does state that you can't make copies. Although I was under the impression were were discussing morality, not legality (not much to discuss there).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10